Which site lists rebounds given up by a goalie?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I swear I've seen this before, but I can't remember which "advanced stat" site lists these. The only goalie stats I can find on places like Corsica and Naturalstattrick are things like save percentage from various distances, but I can't seem to find the filter/category for rebounds given up.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I don't think anyone has this. I believe those advanced stat sites use shots in quick succession as a proxy for 'rebounds' as shots that have a higher chance of going in but they i don't think they publish the actual rebounds stats. I could be wrong though.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
After some looking I couldn’t find anything sadly, that’s a good question

WillOverskill

Sep 13, 2018
Unfortunately, this statistic can't be calculated with the current event logs, at least not in any meaningful way. If a goalie saves a shot he can freeze the puck, but otherwise there is no record to determine if he plays the puck, or if he lost the puck, but it was recovered by his teammate. In any of these cases, there is no real danger involved, because the shooting team was unable to capitalize on the chance. Furthermore, the increase in Sh% that is seen when a shot is taken within 3 seconds of a shot taken by the same team also occurs when a shot is taken within 3 seconds of a missed or blocked shot taken by the same team. Therefore, we assume there is an equal or greater responsibility for the defending team, and their players on the ice, to prevent these high-quality opportunities.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
I guess one way would be:

Following a shot on goal, was the play stopped? From which you could very roughly deduce that: Per game, Defense Face-offs / Allowed SOG = Rebound control %

Of course that is wildly unreliable (eg. stoppages due to puck in the audience, penalties, etc), and there's no way to tell which side the face-off is in (do they keep track of that?), but could be a basis for some sort of analysis. I guess at least you could remove the amount of penalties from the Face-offs statistics.

But let's say, you can tell that there were 15 face-offs in the defence zone of Team A, and Team B had say 25 shots on goal. Then 15 / 25 = 0,6 = 60 %, so Team A's goalie controlled 60 % of the rebounds.
It's problematic if there are more face-offs than shots on goal, eg. 30 face-offs and 25 sog = 30/25 = 1,2 = 120 % rebound control :D But not sure if there are more D-zone face-offs than SOGs in most games. From a quick look, there's an average of about 60 face-offs per game, but that doesn't tell which end. So if you guesstimate a 50/50 division between offensive and defensive face-offs, it's roughly about equal to average shots on goal per game.

Edit:
Hmm, actually here you can see current stats for O/D face-offs:
Team face-off stats- 2018-19 regular season - 2018 - defensive zone - Puckbase

Roughly 20 defensive face-offs on average, which tells there's usually less face-offs than SOG, which could make this a viable quick'n'dirty check for goalie rebound control?

This could be tested by watching a couple of games and comparing real rebound controls vs. the rough formula.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad