Which Signing Would Be Bigger?

Which Signing Would Be Bigger?

• Total voters

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Babcock himself said that you can have all the great management and plans in the world, but you still need to have good players.

Mike Babcock himself said:
“People don’t understand. You need real players. You can do everything you want, put them in the right spots. You need real players. You need lots of real players if you’re going to be good in the end. If you’re going to put your name on the silver thing, you need a real group of players.”

Source: Babcock on Leafs’ rise: ‘Well, we got Auston…’

Babs is the freaking man, but Tavares would be unreal.

I didn't expect Babcock and I don't expect Tavares either. Maybe I'll get lucky twice.

Apollo Leaf

Apr 8, 2010
Tavares easily. Coaches are hugely impactful no doubt, but players are still the ones doing the playing. Tavares turns this team in to undoubtedly the best offensive line up in the NHL. One of the best of all time potentially. You would be able to run Matthews, Tavares, Nylander and Marner in the same offensive core and that's not even mentioning Kadri, Marleau, Kapanen, Brown and Johnsson. Just ridiculous in theory. Even for one year, you bank on that taking you all the way. What team is going to match up against that?
My thoughts exactly.

With an offense like that along with an upgrade to the defence, Leafs would be legit contenders next season.

With that being said, I don’t see how we fit Tavares into the lineup without having cap problems, even on a one year deal.

But then again, stranger things have happened. :naughty:

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
The biggest signing ever hasn't happened yet, it'll be the last free agent they sign before the parade.:thumbu:

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
For the record.

Everyone thought he was going to Buffalo or San Jose and ruled Toronto out.

I predicted in March he was coming to Toronto.
And I said he'd take a record 7 x 7 contract.

I'm filling in gaps in the Right D area, so I am a hard pass on Tavares unless it is a steal.

It would be exciting but it's not a huge priority. I'd rather see if Nylander can drive his own line, and if not, then Nylander's contract will have to reflect that.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
JT if he signs.

Since you can pretty much signs Babs any seasons, but JT or his level UFA comes once a while.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Very interesting comparison.
I voted Babcock.

At the point where the Leafs were, to the fact we had been the popular city to snub in the NHL due to our legacy of failure, the Babcock signing was a double shock - surprising at first because we had the whole "good things don't happen to us, right?" attitude - then Buffalo seemed poised to grab him, and Babs pulled the last minute switch no less. It was a last-minute shocker to say the least.

Tavares, on the other hand, would be coming to the Leafs at a time when we are a good team, a team that people want to actually come to. It looks like we are poised to be a perennial contending team now and in the future. And unlike Stamkos, Tavares has had no lingering background rumors about him never actually wanting the spotlight or wanting to come back to play for the Leafs.

And Tavares looks poised to be leaving the Islanders, whether he comes here or not.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
For the record.

I predicted in March he was coming to Toronto.
And I said he'd take a record 7 x 7 contract.

I'm filling in gaps in the Right D area, so I am a hard pass on Tavares unless it is a steal.

It would be exciting but it's not a huge priority. I'd rather see if Nylander can drive his own line, and if not, then Nylander's contract will have to reflect that.

I’m not talking about posters here. I’m was referring to reporters and insiders.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Tavares easily. Coaches are hugely impactful no doubt, but players are still the ones doing the playing. Tavares turns this team in to undoubtedly the best offensive line up in the NHL. One of the best of all time potentially. You would be able to run Matthews, Tavares, Nylander and Marner in the same offensive core and that's not even mentioning Kadri, Marleau, Kapanen, Brown and Johnsson. Just ridiculous in theory. Even for one year, you bank on that taking you all the way. What team is going to match up against that?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
So what's the latest on the JT front? He seems very quiet about where he wants to go where as Stamkos was pretty much let's see what the Leafs can offer...

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The Leafs won’t even make an offer unless the can shed some current and future salary.

Tavares is a good player, but will he be fast enough in 2 years and beyond? Asking for a friend.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i think it's Babcock.
I mean if Tavares (or Doughty etc, go down the line) sign here, those would be huge and impactful on the ice, but you have to ask yourself, even if we had Matthews etc, would they want to sign here if we had say Boucher, or even keefe as a coach? probably not

Babcock chose Toronto when we were at our gong-show-iest. he was the first real sign that you know, things would be okay. I think anything else that happens will always stem from that decision.

now if Tavares chose us when we were complete and utter crap, it would be him
(and if both chose us at the same time it would still be him).

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I think the heart and the soul of the franchise comes before any hockey player. I've often wondered why there isn't a support group for those who survived the Ballard-era. Long after players like Sittler, Gilmour, Sundin are gone, the aura of the franchise remains. While Tavares might make you look good like you're wearing a new suit or dress, Babcock actually lets you do something other then hide in the corner trying to conceal your nervous disorder. Perhaps if you could guarantee Tavares would mean the difference between winning the Cup or not, I'd have to go with Tavares. But outside of that, I think Babcock does more for disassociating the franchise from being synonymous with being losers then anything. Fans can now wear their Leaf jerseys with confidence knowing even if they lose, their franchise is still a winner.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada

"Tavares turns this team in to undoubtedly the best offensive line up in the NHL"
"One of the best of all time potentially"

That's the most aggressive statement I've read all day (but I do like hearing it). However, Winnipeg is pretty stiff competition at the moment (even if we got Tavares).

This is just based on age & production (not position) & it's probably not terribly accurate but:

Scheifele - Matthews
Wheeler - Tavares
Laine - Marner
Ehlers - Nylander
Connor - ??????
Roslovic - ??????
Statsny - ??????
Little - Kadri
Perreault - Marleau
Lowry - Brown
Armia - Kapanen
Copp - Johnsson
Vesalainen - ??????
I could probably sub in Bracco, Brooks, Hyman & Grundstrom for the question marks.
But they arn't as good as Connor, Roslovic, Statsny & Vesalainen.

Winnipeg seems to have better defense than the leafs as well....but they may run into cap trouble in a couple years & end up with a very different looking roster.

Last edited:

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Your assuming all the youngsters get mega deals
No way nylander gets more than kadri
If Kadri was getting market value, maybe. But Kadri's is very underpaid. You think NYlander won't get more than 4.5 million per?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
"Tavares turns this team in to undoubtedly the best offensive line up in the NHL"
"One of the best of all time potentially"

That's the most aggressive statement I've read all day (but I do like hearing it). However, Winnipeg is pretty stiff competition at the moment (even if we got Tavares).

This is just based on age & production (not position) & it's probably not terribly accurate but:

Scheifele - Matthews
Wheeler - Tavares
Laine - Marner
Ehlers - Nylander
Connor - ??????
Roslovic - ??????
Statsny - ??????
Little - Kadri
Perreault - Marleau
Lowry - Brown
Armia - Kapanen
Copp - Johnsson
Vesalainen - ??????
I could probably sub in Bracco, Brooks, Hyman & Grundstrom for the question marks.
But they arn't as good as Connor, Roslovic, Statsny & Vesalainen.

Winnipeg seems to have better defense than the leafs as well....but they may run into cap trouble in a couple years & end up with a very different looking roster.

Maybe Stastny signs with the Leafs.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
Babcock AINEC.

The city was buzzing before they announced it.

Fans were stalking the Leaf private jets online and concluded that we got Babcock.

Backcock signing is the biggest thing since Dryden signing Joseph.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad