Which Signing Would Be Bigger?

Which Signing Would Be Bigger?

• Total voters

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
So, Mike Babcock is easily the biggest free agent signing the Leafs have made since... Belfour? I still remember the shock the day it happened. Everyone thought he was going to Buffalo or San Jose and ruled Toronto out. He’s no already proven to be the best Leafs coach since Pat Quinn.

Should Tavares sign with the Leafs (no matter what the contract is) would that be a bigger signing than Babcock was?

Just something I was thinking about. How excited I was when the Leafs hired Babcock and then thinking how amazing it would be if they signed Tavares.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Tavares easily. Coaches are hugely impactful no doubt, but players are still the ones doing the playing. Tavares turns this team in to undoubtedly the best offensive line up in the NHL. One of the best of all time potentially. You would be able to run Matthews, Tavares, Nylander and Marner in the same offensive core and that's not even mentioning Kadri, Marleau, Kapanen, Brown and Johnsson. Just ridiculous in theory. Even for one year, you bank on that taking you all the way. What team is going to match up against that?

Reactions: hullsy47

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Tavares easily. Coaches are hugely impactful no doubt, but players are still the ones doing the playing. Tavares turns this team in to undoubtedly the best offensive line up in the NHL. One of the best of all time potentially. You would be able to run Matthews, Tavares, Nylander and Marner in the same offensive core and that's not even mentioning Kadri, Marleau, Kapanen, Brown and Johnsson. Just ridiculous in theory. Even for one year, you bank on that taking you all the way. What team is going to match up against that?
not even Pittsburgh could touch that, imo. It would be ridiculous

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I thought it was interesting today when I tuned in to listen to Leafs lunch to hear about Lou that Gord Miller was basically like "Tavares isn't going to Toronto" - seemed confident about it.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
not even Pittsburgh could touch that, imo. It would be ridiculous

That kind of depth AND talent would be unrivalled/unheard of. Matthews finished above PPG despite multiple injuries. You add Marner and another good winger to his line, Nylander to Tavares and our plethora of wingers AND THEN Kadri? It's just ridiculous to think about.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
That kind of depth AND talent would be unrivalled/unheard of. Matthews finished above PPG despite multiple injuries. You add Marner and another good winger to his line, Nylander to Tavares and our plethora of wingers AND THEN Kadri? It's just ridiculous to think about.
the only problem is I heard Tavares wants to be the surefire #1 center on a team, and he wouldn't be here.
but to torture myself anyway
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Johnsson - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Kapanen
Leivo - Lindholm - Brown

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
the only problem is I heard Tavares wants to be the surefire #1 center on a team, and he wouldn't be here.
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Leivo - Lindholm - Brown

That's two number 1 centre's, so I'm not sure what he wants more. A name or a cup. Also, for me, I would switch Marleau and Hyman, but other than that, I like it. First line is great, second "line" would dominate weaker comp (or by virtue of being that good, let Matthews line dominate comp) and then you still have to worry about Kadri's line and Leivo+Brown grinding you out.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The great thing about a potential Tavares signing is that he would be looked at to help continue to propel the team forward, rather than having to kickstart its progress.

In addition to Babcock being a valuable addition himself, his being here could also aid in players choosing to become Maple Leafs. (ex. Marleau)

Would be tough not to go with the player - and I did vote Tavares - but it's closer than you'd think IMO.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Babcock.

The proper development of our young core is vastly more important at this stage, in my opinion, than the addition of any one player.

Adding a Tavares could be the difference between us being the current Toronto Maple Leafs and the future Pittsburgh Penguins.

Mike Babcock has already likely been the difference between us being the current Toronto Maple Leafs and the current Buffalo Sabres/Edmonton Oilers.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Leivo - Lindholm - Brown

That would be sick

Remember when bozak or matt stajan where our top centres

suprvilce

Sep 12, 2006
So just a theory, could the Leafs sign Tavares and Carlson for 1 year (assuming we tell the strategy to both of them) to fit them both under tha cap and go for it next season?

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
So just a theory, could the Leafs sign Tavares and Carlson for 1 year (assuming we tell the strategy to both of them) to fit them both under tha cap and go for it next season?
No because the NHLPA would have a field day where two HUGE free agents signed only one-year deals. No one does that, even though it would hugely benefit TML. On top, if one of them gets injured in this one year contract (potentially career-ending) they are very much screwed for their future. So no, not one player in their right mind along with their agent would sign a one-year deal with ANY team in their prime UFA years.

But yes, in theory it could possibly work doesn't mean it'll happen.

Reactions: francis246

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Sure. Neither player would have any interest in doing so though.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Grundstrom-?-Brown

Pretty f***ing solid. Pittsburgh might have the edge, but not by much.

If we can get JT for 10M, we could realistically afford to sign Carlsson as well, without messing up the big-3 signings. Team has loads of room.

Rielly-Carlsson
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Zaitsev
Borgman

And then Hainsey and Gardiner walk, and Liljergen and Borgman step up.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Grundstrom-?-Brown

Pretty ****ing solid. Pittsburgh might have the edge, but not by much.

If we can get JT for 10M, we could realistically afford to sign Carlsson as well, without messing up the big-3 signings. Team has loads of room.

Rielly-Carlsson
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Zaitsev
Borgman

And then Hainsey and Gardiner walk, and Liljergen and Borgman step up.

I would say Toronto has the edge in that case. More quality wingers in the bottom 6 and our elite stars haven't peaked yet.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I thought it was interesting today when I tuned in to listen to Leafs lunch to hear about Lou that Gord Miller was basically like "Tavares isn't going to Toronto" - seemed confident about it.

Everyone is just speculating like you and me. They don't know who will and won't sign with Toronto. Toronto keeps their cards close to their vest and I am sure that Tavares would do the same as well.

No one expected Babcock to sign with the Leafs as well. They felt that the Leafs were last on his list...people had him going to Philly IIRC ahead of the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad