Which Sens players will have their jersey retired?

Sensrule

Aug 30, 2007
I'd say Neil, Karlsson and Anderson. MAYBE Hossa and Chara could be considered as well.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I'd say Neil, Karlsson and Anderson. MAYBE Hossa and Chara could be considered as well.
Hossa and Chara became great for other teams. Anderson was just an average goalie. Neil should be in the ring on honour because he played his whole career for the Sens.

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada
After looking over the post responses, and giving some thought, here is my response:

EK should have his jersey retired. Unlike the rest of the Sens, EK was, roughly 2011-2018, a top 10 player in the NHL, and even peaking as the 3rd best after Crosby and McDavid in 2017. Karlsson was a true superstar, with major hardware to boot with 2 Norris trophies. Karlsson was a polarizing player, many people have different opinions about him, but he was the best player to ever where the Sens jersey (Hasek doesn't count). He sacrificed his ankle for the 2017 cup run, and while we didn't win, it was a hell of a run.

Anderson should probably have his jersey retired, but I'm less confident than with ek. He holds almost every goalie record in franchise history. I wouldn't have any issue if Andy's number is retired. I do think his number is more likely to be retired than not.

Spezza won't imo. Best center in franchise history bar none, but left too early. Unlike ek, his peak wasn't high to warrant a jersey retirement.

Neil is a tough one. He, like Phillips, was elite at their specific role. Phillips being a defensive minded, shutdown dman, and Neil being a enforcer/fighter. I think the most impressive thing about Neil is that he never once got suspended. that's incredible. I feel Neil shouldn't have his number retired. Being an enforcer has his place, and Neil was a true warrior for us, but I think retiring his number would be a bit much. Has any other franchise retired a enforcer/fighter player? None comes to mind. I think honouring his number is enough.

Redden is in the same boat for Andy. Have no issue if his number is retired. But I do think his number is less likely to be retired than Andy's.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
After looking over the post responses, and giving some thought, here is my response:

EK should have his jersey retired. Unlike the rest of the Sens, EK was, roughly 2011-2018, a top 10 player in the NHL, and even peaking as the 3rd best after Crosby and McDavid in 2017. Karlsson was a true superstar, with major hardware to boot with 2 Norris trophies. Karlsson was a polarizing player, many people have different opinions about him, but he was the best player to ever where the Sens jersey (Hasek doesn't count). He sacrificed his ankle for the 2017 cup run, and while we didn't win, it was a hell of a run.

Anderson should probably have his jersey retired, but I'm less confident than with ek. He holds almost every goalie record in franchise history. I wouldn't have any issue if Andy's number is retired. I do think his number is more likely to be retired than not.

Spezza won't imo. Best center in franchise history bar none, but left too early. Unlike ek, his peak wasn't high to warrant a jersey retirement.

Neil is a tough one. He, like Phillips, was elite at their specific role. Phillips being a defensive minded, shutdown dman, and Neil being a enforcer/fighter. I think the most impressive thing about Neil is that he never once got suspended. that's incredible. I feel Neil shouldn't have his number retired. Being an enforcer has his place, and Neil was a true warrior for us, but I think retiring his number would be a bit much. Has any other franchise retired a enforcer/fighter player? None comes to mind. I think honouring his number is enough.

Redden is in the same boat for Andy. Have no issue if his number is retired. But I do think his number is less likely to be retired than Andy's.
Spezza was here 3 seasons longer than Karlsson and got us to the finals. Spezza's peak was better than Karlssons.

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada
Spezza was here 3 seasons longer than Karlsson and got us to the finals. Spezza's peak was better than Karlssons.

I disagree with this. Karlsson was selected as the best player at his position twice, Spezza has never been selected as the best player at his position. Plus Spezza never had a run as good as EK's 2017 playoff run. the 2007 team was much stronger than the 2017 team top to bottom. In addition, if we are going to choose which player got the Sens the farthest that year, it's Alfie who comes first, not Spezza.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I disagree with this. Karlsson was selected as the best player at his position twice, Spezza has never been selected as the best player at his position. Plus Spezza never had a run as good as EK's 2017 playoff run. the 2007 team was much stronger than the 2017 team top to bottom. In addition, if we are going to choose which player got the Sens the farthest that year, it's Alfie who comes first, not Spezza.
Without Spezza the offence is shit. He helped make Alfredsson a great player and turned Heatley into a 50 goal scorer.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
If someone’s number looks weird in another player, then I think you retire the number. The next person who wears 25, will always look wrong. It is Chris Neil’s number. When Bobby Ryan wore 6, it was Redden’s number. And so on. Someone else wearing 4 would have been wrong. Seeing other players wear 19, kinda weird but not much.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Karlsson imo is the best player that played for the Sens. I'm leaning towards retiring his number even though he only played 9 seasons here because he was that good.

I don't believe a number should ever be retired to honour a played who asked to be traded.
when the management is as bad as it is, I don't blame the players. Even Alfie walked away.

R2010

May 23, 2011
Here's the thing - we will never know what Spezza's peak was because of back injuries that limited him in his best statistical seasons. I still place Karlsson higher but people seem to forget just how good he was. As an example - If he played 82 games his PPG pace in 2005-2006, 2006-2007 and 2007-2008 would have placed him 3rd, 4th and 3rd in league scoring. His points pace in those three years was 109, 106 and 99. He also finished 4th in 2011-2012. Those are not just good stats - they're elite. Top 5 centers in the world elite in those years.

This also all assumes he wasn't playing injured a lot (he was) and that the back issues didn't impact his play (they did).

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Hells no to EK.

I’m totally good with guys that play 1000 games for the team to have their jerseys retired.

I’d be stoked to see Neiler hey his day too.

BigTurk

Dec 24, 2019
Don't laugh - but if he re-signs and the rebuild works with him playing a key role...Pageau

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Phillips and Neil are on the same level to me. So if philips got retired, so should Neil.

Personally think that Phillips should be on a ring of honour but that opinion and a toonie still only get me a cup of coffee.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
I don't think Karlsson should have his number retired. He was great but didn't lead us anywhere. Spezza, a ppg player in a Sens jersey deserves it more than he does and I don't think he should have it. Neither had the impact of Alfredsson. Karlsson wasn't a good leader.
People spent half of Alfie's tenure complaining that he wasn't a good leader and could never get the Sens over the hump. Until he did.

Spezza in no way or form deserves it more than Karlsson. The dude spent two more seasons here than Karlsson did, won absolutely nothing of value, and was derided consistently for being injury-prone and a turnover machine. Karlsson was the greatest player in the league at his position for most of his tenure here. He won two Norris trophies (and should have won a third) and nearly got this team to the finals.

If this team retires Chris Neil's number and doesn't retire Karlsson's, I'm putting a brick through somebody's window. The fact that people here continue to whine about Melnyk, yet have turned on Karlsson so harshly is a joke.

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
It's probably an unpopular opinion, but I really feel like we should reserve number retirements for players who actually helped the franchise accomplish significant things. "Stuck around and dealt with the gong show for long enough" shouldn't be the main criteria.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
People spent half of Alfie's tenure complaining that he wasn't a good leader and could never get the Sens over the hump. Until he did.

Spezza in no way or form deserves it more than Karlsson. The dude spent two more seasons here than Karlsson did, won absolutely nothing of value, and was derided consistently for being injury-prone and a turnover machine. Karlsson was the greatest player in the league at his position for most of his tenure here. He won two Norris trophies (and should have won a third) and nearly got this team to the finals.

If this team retires Chris Neil's number and doesn't retire Karlsson's, I'm putting a brick through somebody's window. The fact that people here continue to whine about Melnyk, yet have turned on Karlsson so harshly is a joke.
Spezza was easily a top 5 center during his run and did everything p***yble to win a cup. Heatley and Alfredsson were the type of talent that allowed him to be creative. It didn't last and he spent 4 seasons playing with scubs. In his prime he had no one to play with. Karlsson never lead this team as well as Spezza offensively.

edit: I misspelled possible and it got flagged.

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
I don't believe there is any player currently playing or already retired, being contemplated for jersey retirement. Spezza and EK requested trades out, which left a sour taste for many fans. Others were solid players, or elite players whose best years were elsewhere. For instance, when Chara ultimately goes in the HHOF, he'll likely wear a Bruins jersey.

Phillips was a bit of an exception as a career Senator who broke the franchise record for games played. Normally it will have to be a more elite player to have your jersey retired. Guys like Neil and Boro have strong sentimental value to the franchise, as examples, but even as career Sens, won't be in the conversation, because they were never at Phillips level as a player.

If Chabot spends 90% of his career with the Sens, he'd be naturally considered, but that is a long way off.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->