Which semifinal game for winner of pools?

Discussion in '2019 IIHF World Junior Championship' started by HeavierThanAir, Dec 23, 2010.

1. HeavierThanAir

HeavierThanAir Registered User

I hope I'm not asking a naïve (or already answered) question, but I've searched high and low for the answer and I can't find it anywhere.

The question is simple: if Canada wins their pool and gets a bye to the semifinal, in which semifinal game will they play? The 3:30pm game or the 7:30pm game? It was quite simple to find the appropriate game in previous years -- the schedule would say A1 versus winner of B2/A3, for instance -- but this year it seems a bit obscured.

I'm asking because I'm a risk-taker. I'm going to be in Buffalo and I plan to assume Canada will win their pool and will get the bye. Makes the tournament a bit more exciting when you've gambled on a ticket, eh? :D

Thanks in advance!

2. bruinsfan46

bruinsfan46 Registered User

http://www.iihf.com/channels1011/wm20/schedule.html

So if Canada and US each win their divisions (they're both definite favourites to) then Canada will play at 3:30. It appears the only way Canada wouldn't play at 3:30 would be if they have to play the US.

3. HeavierThanAir

HeavierThanAir Registered User

Thanks for the link! The schedules I've been using don't very useful bit of wisdom underneath.

I do find the "If qualified, USA to play in 19:30 game, if USA not qualified and CAN qualified, CAN to play in 15:30 game" somewhat vague. But I believe your interpretation -- the US will pay in the 7:30pm game regardless of how they get to the semifinal, and Canada will play in the 3:30pm game unless they're playing against the US.

One last question: do you think there's a typo above and the final bit should say "if USA not qualified and CAN qualified, CAN to play in 19:30 game"? If the US, for example, doesn't win their division and loses in the quarterfinal, why wouldn't Canada be moved to the primetime 7:30pm game?

Cheers!

4. jcarbone

jcarbone Registered User

Ha I did what your thinking and got 2 tickets to Semi-Final game 2.
    Am hoping Canada would be playing in it, but seems the only way they will play at 7:30 is if its against the US... lol kinda lame now I HAVE to cheer for the States to, if I want to watch Team Canada.