Which second rounders, playing in the league today, were the biggest steals?

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
So many come to mind...

Aho, Weber, Subban, Kucherov, Bergeron, Lucic (was pretty good at some point), DeBrincat, Girard, Petry, etc.

Reactions: NHL WAR

TheNorthStars

Stars/Leafs
Sep 3, 2018
Aside from those mentioned so far... Severson, W. Karlsson, Zucker and Lehner have carved themselves out pretty good careers and are at least honorable mentions.

And of course Stanley cup champion, Devante Smith-Pelly.

Reactions: amjay13

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Duncan Keith, Paul Stastny, Shea Webber, James Neal, David Krejci, Corey Crawford, Jimmy Howard, Wayne Simmonds, Roman Josi, John Gibson, Brandon Saad, Nikita Kucherov

Reactions: Dr Salt

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
Also Brandan Carlo for the Bruins.

Bruins have some very good 2nd round picks (Bergeron, Krejci, Carlo) as well as other good later round picks too (Marchand 3rd, Grzelcyk 3rd, Heinen 4th).

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
1. Kucherov
2. Subban
3. Bergeron
4. Josi

This should be 2nd round picks over a specific time period. How do u rate Weber/Keith vs Aho

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Ryan O'Reilly was a second rounder that went straight to the NHL and has now had loads of success. You don't see that every year
I believe I read somewhere that Ryan O'Reilly and Patrice Bergeron are the only players to be drafted in the 2nd round and then make the NHL at 18.

So, if any players in the future do that and join that company... chances are they might become pretty dang good.

KBobs

Dec 26, 2013
Canada
1. Kucherov
2. Subban
3. Bergeron
4. Josi

This should be 2nd round picks over a specific time period. How do u rate Weber/Keith vs Aho

You have a point. However I'm not sure how you ranked Bergeron, a first ballot HOF'er, behind Subban. Subban's had a fantastic prime; but I believe it was largely inflated due to playing in Montreal. Some might call me crazy but I'd take Weber's career over Subban's. If Weber played in Montreal, he never would have been robbed of all the Norris trophies.

Last edited:

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
1. Kucherov
2. Subban
3. Bergeron
4. Josi

The time period is - they are still playing today. You rate them fairly easily to date as:

Keith>>>>>>Weber>>Aho

At some point it might be:
Keith>>>>>>Aho>/>>Weber

Really depends where Aho goes with his career. Neither is anywhere near Keith, Weber never will be and I highly doubt Aho will be either. Of all the second rounders playing in the league today, I would have Keith at the very top as the biggest steal to date.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Kucherov has to be the top one.

I took a look at the top 10 scorers from last season and noticed that only Kucherov (1), Marchand (5), and Gaudreau (8) were taken outside of the top 3 overall picks. Even if we go down to the top 20, only those 3, Point, Giroux, and Panarin were outside of the top 10 overall picks. The draft has been pretty good at predicting top talents.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->