Speculation: Which rookie makes the opening day roster?

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
It's beginning to look as though Horvat might get his 9 games, especially if Richardson is injured. Shink missed too much hockey last year so I think he'll start the season in Utica until he proves all the rust is gone and his endurance and consistency are up to NHL par. Jensen still seems like a work in progress and looks the least ready of the three.

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
Don't think Shinkaruk is strong enough yet. Some people on here are raving about his additional strength, and that may be true in his upper body. But i see him getting effortlessly knocked aside along the boards. In the young stars tourney he looked like Mason Raymond, the way he'd drive the puck to the boards and be effortlessly bumped to the ice. The fact that he can now play in the AHL says that he still gets a challenge while he brings his lower body strength up, and his development won't be hampered.

Jensen still looks lazy at times, but with good linemates, does a lot of good things and looks dangerous. He'd be my pick to stay if it didn't mean sending Horvat back to the OHL. I'd rather see all 3 of these guys playing pro hockey this year, and the only way that happens is if Horvat stays up, and the other two go to Utica.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
I think Jensen and Shink go to Utica at first, while Bo gets his 9 games.
Then the decision is made. If Bo is contributing and earning decent icetime, he stays.
Otherwise, he goes back to London and Shink and Jensen could come up based on how they are doing in upstate New York.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
In addition to Horvat, I actually believe that Jensen has a shot of getting into the starting lineup. He's already had some NHL experience, why not give him a little more? See how he does and then send him down if he can't hold his own. Voted Horvat though since he has a better chance imo. I would guess that Shinkaruk will be sent down to start, since he lost most of last year's development. He may earn his way onto the roster though.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Horvat gets 9 games, and I think he sticks, too.

Shinkaruk and Jensen go to the AHL, and we gain the flexibility of being able to call them up whenever we need to.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
My thoughts
I don't think Shinkaruk's ready, personally-- He's had nice results, but could really use the time in Utica.

Jensen, I can give or take. He's obviously still got wrinkles and bad habits in his game, but he's absolutely physically ready for NHL play (in terms of tools-- Speed, strength, puck skills, instincts), and his weaknesses aren't horrible (many NHL caliber players have the same kinds of weaknesses-- his defensive game is actually getting better as well). I also doubt that putting him in the AHL will help him improve those weaknesses-- He strikes me as a guy who is just as likely to develop more bad habits down there against easier competition. Unless he's absolutely dynamite over the next few games, it's a numbers game for me with regards to Jensen-- If it's EASY to keep him up in the lineup and you don't have to trade anyone useful in order to do it, I'd like him on the team, if not, I don't mind sending him down. I wouldn't be so quick to trade Hansen/Burrows to fit him in right now, that's for sure.

Horvat I think should be on the team. His game is very refined, he looks physically ready, and you can tell that the instincts are there, he just needs to get comfortable. He also fits in perfectly with the team and fills holes that this team desperately needs. I can see him starting out as a solid past-his-prime-Pahlsson type player to start the season and get better as the season progresses (I'd expect him to not look much worse than Higgins/Hansen by that point). The junior thing has been said many times, and I agree. I see no reason not to keep him with the team. Even if he gets knocked down to the 4th line at some point (which I don't expect to happen, but it could), I would still prefer to have him in that spot playing with Richardson/Matthias/Hansen rather than in the OHL. In either case, 3rd or 4th line, I don't see it hurting his development, and I don't see him hurting the team. His wheels don't seem like much of an issue to me either.

I personally wouldn't have sent down Gaunce so early either-- he seemingly started to make the same kinds of strides that Horvat is making right now. Then again, I wouldn't have him make the team over Horvat (or in ADDITION to Horvat), so I guess it's moot.

Horvat > Jensen > Shinkaruk

In any other year, I'd give Shinkaruk 9 games just because he's earned it with two years of solid production, and you'd like to see that rewarded, though. To go two years putting up the preseason numbers he has and not get a sniff would be a bit of a shame. But I don't think he looks like a full time player.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I'm going to go against the grain here.
I think Horvat probably makes it but I think Shinkaruk is the guy who should make it based on who could help the team the most.

Horvat has one point in all of pre season plus young stars. Right now he really doesn't bring anything more than Brad Richardson, a 200 foot game with limited offence. Which come to think if it is really a 150 foot game. I'm confident the offence will come but this team was 28th in goals scored last year. We need offence now.

Shinkaruk on the other hand has 4 points in two games. Sure it's only pre season but he did the same thing last year. We don't really have another player like him on the team. He's not nearly as strong defensively but let him work on that in the NHL. Physically he looks ready. He's gained some weight and is solidly built.

Looking at the teams needs the only reason I'd keep Horvat over Shinkaruk is the fact that Hunter can go to the AHL.

Bieksa#3

Mar 2, 2007
For me it's horvat based on the fact that he can't go back down to junior. He gets his 9 games to see of he's NHL ready or not. It's far too easy to send the rest down to AHL and it's a bonus we can call them up whenever. So easy choice in that regard.

Physically I feel like shinkaruk isn't ready for a full season at the NHL level. I think he needs atleas one season to adjust to pro hockey. I think he could be a full time roster player for us next year

SopelFan*

Was there ever any confirmation as to why O'Reilly wasnt cut? He must be injured considering tbey arent even dressing him. Did he leave the Stockton game?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad