Which Rangers goalie would you take for this season and next season?

Which Rangers goalie would you take for this season and next season?

• Total voters

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Can I pick neither?

None of them currently are starter quality on a team with legit playoff/cup aspirations

Well, I suppose they would first have to be put on a team with Cup aspirations to find out. I'm sure everyone had Jordan Binnington pegged as a Stanley Cup winning goaltender.

Reactions: klingsor

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Voted Henrik

Hey OP - habs offer Petry, Tatar and a second for Henrik, Kakko - and you can include a cap dump like Panarin too to help.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If the question is based on play, the answer is Georgiev.
If the question is based on projection, the answer is Shesterkin.
If the question is based on sentimentality, the answer is Hank.

How is the answer Georgiyev based on play? Shestyorkin has a 19 point better SV% than Georgiyev. Unless you expect that to revert to less than .910 over a larger sample, which would make him the most overrated prospect in the league, the answer is Shestyorkin based on play.

Some of you overrate Georgiyev's play a lot. When he plays well, all we hear is how well he's playing. When he can't stop the puck, it's the fault of the defense. But some of you are sure to blame Hank when he doesn't play well. Georgiyev gets a free pass. Georgiyev is a young inconsistent goaltender. That's all there is to it. Some don't want to admit it, but he rotates great performances and bad performances, which is why his numbers have went down as he's played more this season than previous seasons.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
How is the answer Georgiyev based on play? Shestyorkin has a 19 point better SV% than Georgiyev. Unless you expect that to revert to less than .910 over a larger sample, which would make him the most overrated prospect in the league, the answer is Shestyorkin based on play.

Some of you overrate Georgiyev's play a lot. When he plays well, all we hear is how well he's playing. When he can't stop the puck, it's the fault of the defense. But some of you are sure to blame Hank when he doesn't play well. Georgiyev gets a free pass. Georgiyev is a young inconsistent goaltender. That's all there is to it. Some don't want to admit it, but he rotates great performances and bad performances, which is why his numbers have went down as he's played more this season than previous seasons.
First off, WTF are you talking about?
How many games has Igor played? That would be 3. Thus, my response that based on projection, the answer is Igor.
Nobody is blaming anyone. Hank hasn't been "Hank" for years. Georgiev may have a bad game here and there, but he is really good most of the time. Thus, my response that he is the starter based on play.

Reactions: WillyNy

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
First off, WTF are you talking about?
How many games has Igor played? That would be 3. Thus, my response that based on projection, the answer is Igor.
Nobody is blaming anyone. Hank hasn't been "Hank" for years. Georgiev may have a bad game here and there, but he is really good most of the time. Thus, my response that he is the starter based on play.

How many games does one need to play before you are basing it off their play? Is it projection until they hit your arbitrary number? And you didn't even address the point I made. Georgiyev's play is not all that impressive. It's .910 with about league average advanced stats. You can claim the sample size with Shestyorkin is small, but the games he played are not a projection, they are games played. Also, if you believe that the small sample of his play will not be an accurate reflection of his play over a larger sample and what you believe would be an accurate reflection is worse than Georgiyev's play over a larger sample, you must not think he's any good. If at age 24 he's worse than .910 and league average advanced stats, he must be the most overrated prospect in the league.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
On the Bruins I'd take Hank. I think there would be added incentive to push for a Cup

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
How many games does one need to play before you are basing it off their play? Is it projection until they hit your arbitrary number? And you didn't even address the point I made. Georgiyev's play is not all that impressive. It's .910 with about league average advanced stats. You can claim the sample size with Shestyorkin is small, but the games he played are not a projection, they are games played. Also, if you believe that the small sample of his play will not be an accurate reflection of his play over a larger sample and what you believe would be an accurate reflection is worse than Georgiyev's play over a larger sample, you must not think he's any good. If at age 24 he's worse than .910 and league average advanced stats, he must be the most overrated prospect in the league.
THREE GAMES! It is ridiculous to come to any conclusion based on that sample size.
I am one who thinks Shesterkin will be a very good NHL goalie, but I'm nowhere near ready to state that he has arrived.
If your opinion is that Georgiev isn't all that, so be it. But, you look foolish stating that Shesterkin has outplayed him after three starts.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
If you had to pick one of the Rangers three goaltenders to be your team's starting goalie for the upcoming playoffs and next season, who would it be? (don't take contracts into account)

Send Shesterkin down with guarantee he is up all yr next yr....play georgiev most of the games this year if he plays great and someone drastically overpays in offseason make the trade....if not buyout Hank, I know tough call with one of your best players for a long time, bring up Shesterkin and let him and georgiev battle it out....this way you keep your two good young goalies because u only have to protect georgiev not Shesterkin.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
THREE GAMES! It is ridiculous to come to any conclusion based on that sample size.
I am one who thinks Shesterkin will be a very good NHL goalie, but I'm nowhere near ready to state that he has arrived.
If your opinion is that Georgiev isn't all that, so be it. But, you look foolish stating that Shesterkin has outplayed him after three starts.

You once again didn't address the point I was making. You seem to be saying we can't include Shestyorkin in the "play" category because the sample is only three games in the NHL. If your stance is Georgiyev has played better than Lundqvist, I can agree with that, but I don't agree that Shestyorkin can't be included in the assessment of that category.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Send Shesterkin down with guarantee he is up all yr next yr....play georgiev most of the games this year if he plays great and someone drastically overpays in offseason make the trade....if not buyout Hank, I know tough call with one of your best players for a long time, bring up Shesterkin and let him and georgiev battle it out....this way you keep your two good young goalies because u only have to protect georgiev not Shesterkin.

Shestyorkin gains nothing from the AHL. He was beyond the league prior to this season. Shestyorkin can say no thanks, use his KHL clause and return to the KHL. He's already the best goalie on the team and he'll be the best of the three long-term. It makes no sense to try to push him around. The decision involves the other two, not Shestyorkin. Shestyorkin is here to stay, and will be our starter.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Shesterkin was the best goalie in the KHL for years, the best goalie in the AHL this year, and blows away Hank & Geo’s numbers in his NHL stint.

KHL: 1.11 GAA .953 SV%
AHL: 1.90 GAA .934 SV%
NHL: 2.68 GAA .929 SV%

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

RANGERS13ADL

Jan 26, 2020
If you had to pick one of the Rangers three goaltenders to be your team's starting goalie for the upcoming playoffs and next season, who would it be? (don't take contracts into account)

Shesty would be my starter next year with Georgiev as back up. We desperately need to unload Hank as he is coming to retirement and not able to take us to playoffs or deep in them at this point. Cap space for this summer is needed. The only other pieces we can move to make room are Staal and Smith. That being said I friggin' loved Hank and it's heart breaking to say this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad