Which prospects will surprise us this year?

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Every year we have at least one, or two or more prospects that nobody outside of Tampa knows prior to the season and even in our eyes is just a "random" prospect. Last year those guys were Paquette, Ikonen and Gudlevskis. The year before it was Johnson, Palat and to a lesser extend Kucherov (who was more of a high talented mystery).

So which guys will it be this year? Or might this be Yzermans first year without such guys?

Here are my bets:
Dominik Masin: Right now he is my next Kucherov, have not heard much of him, but all I hear sounds great. I could see him make quit some noise in the CHL. However he will not be that much of a surprise considering he was a early 2nd rounder

Cristiano DiGiacinto: I hated the pick at the time and now with knowing more than just his stats I love it. He had the same points per 60min rate than the best agitator drafted this season (Lemieux, 31st overall to BUF), which IMO makes him a prime candidate to breakout offensivly with more icetime and better linemates this season.

Nikita Nesterov: I always liked him and I still have faith, eventhough I know many don't expect much from him anymore. He had a rough first season here, but many before him followed up with amazig sophomore seasons.

HM to Luke Witkowski, because I could really see him wearing a Lightning jersey at some point of the season for a few games. Which would pretty much become the same scenario as with Paquette, where everybody from the other teams will ask who the hell this guy is.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Not sure it will be a huge surprise but I think slater koekkoek will be very good in the ahl year 1. By December tampa may consider bringing him up I think. Really his injuries are the only things that have slowed him down.

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013
Nesterov for sure, he's flying under radar but I have always liked his game when I have seen he play. He's simply not flashy, big (not small, either, 6'0") and he is also a bit average skater for his size but the guy has a great hockey IQ.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Every year we have at least one, or two or more prospects that nobody outside of Tampa knows prior to the season and even in our eyes is just a "random" prospect. Last year those guys were Paquette, Ikonen and Gudlevskis. The year before it was Johnson, Palat and to a lesser extend Kucherov (who was more of a high talented mystery).

So which guys will it be this year? Or might this be Yzermans first year without such guys?

Here are my bets:
Dominik Masin: Right now he is my next Kucherov, have not heard much of him, but all I hear sounds great. I could see him make quit some noise in the CHL. However he will not be that much of a surprise considering he was a early 2nd rounder

Cristiano DiGiacinto: I hated the pick at the time and now with knowing more than just his stats I love it. He had the same points per 60min rate than the best agitator drafted this season (Lemieux, 31st overall to BUF), which IMO makes him a prime candidate to breakout offensivly with more icetime and better linemates this season.

Nikita Nesterov: I always liked him and I still have faith, eventhough I know many don't expect much from him anymore. He had a rough first season here, but many before him followed up with amazig sophomore seasons.

HM to Luke Witkowski, because I could really see him wearing a Lightning jersey at some point of the season for a few games. Which would pretty much become the same scenario as with Paquette, where everybody from the other teams will ask who the hell this guy is.

Your question is very very vague? I guess everyone knows first round picks but lower guys ? I am unsure what you mean so I will break down what think some top names and others not soo tops will do or who I think will do something noticeable.

I knew about ikonen and guds before the draft same with kucherov and tyjo and say braydon point seemed our entire fan base knew of him lol

I didnt know anything about palat but had faith in our scouts. Didnt expect him to be what he is but from what read knew he had game and played good defensively so was interesting guy for sure. How he became a leader on ice is most amazing thing. That is the hockey IQ some people just have it others do not:)

I agree nesterov makes a jump. I am far from even worried on him. He had to learn to play the small ice which he did and by end of year he was vastly better player. Offense will start coming soon.

Who makes the biggest jump drouin. Second hope kucherov but think will be end of season type of a thing when happens.

Yet my money would be on namestnikov. Hes gonna blow up come up and blow up more. Hockey skill and IQ to burn.

Other guys making jumps think wilcox and peca will get good press this year and both have shot at hobey baker.

Also think Ikonen will keep making great strides forward.

Think Braydon point will blow up even higher and get talked about like drouin after the numbers he will put up this year.

Think Tanner Richard will have a monster year and start looking like a legit NHL guy.

Deangelo and slater will just do what they have been doing.

One guy forgot about is SUSTR think he becomes a monster or we start to realize what he will become.

Also have seen people down on GUDAS to that I say whatever. He is still a good number four. Give him 2 more years and he will probably be an excellent 3-4 guy. Good news? We get to play him 5 - 6

WE HAVE DEFENSE FINALLY HAHA

Last edited:

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Your question is very very vague? I guess everyone knows first round picks but lower guys ? I am unsure what you mean so I will break down what think some top names and others not soo tops will do or who I think will do something noticeable.

I knew about ikonen and guds before the draft same with kucherov and tyjo and say braydon point seemed our entire fan base knew of him lol

I didnt know anything about palat but had faith in our scouts. Didnt expect him to be what he is but from what read knew he had game and played good defensively so was interesting guy for sure. How he became a leader on ice is most amazing thing. That is the hockey IQ some people just have it others do not:)

I agree nesterov makes a jump. I am far from even worried on him. He had to learn to play the small ice which he did and by end of year he was vastly better player. Offense will start coming soon.

Who makes the biggest jump drouin. Second hope kucherov but think will be end of season type of a thing when happens.

Yet my money would be on namestnikov. Hes gonna blow up come up and blow up more. Hockey skill and IQ to burn.

Other guys making jumps think wilcox and peca will get good press this year and both have shot at hobey baker.

Also think Ikonen will keep making great strides forward.

Think Braydon point will blow up even higher and get talked about like drouin after the numbers he will put up this year.

Think Tanner Richard will have a monster year and start looking like a legit NHL guy.

Deangelo and slater will just do what they have been doing.

One guy forgot about is SUSTR think he becomes a monster or we start to realize what he will become.

Also have seen people down on GUDAS to that I say whatever. He is still a good number four. Give him 2 more years and he will probably be an excellent 3-4 guy. Good news? We get to play him 5 - 6

WE HAVE DEFENSE FINALLY HAHA

Obviously those guys are all looking to have great seasons, however those are the high end prospects. I am talking about the "unknown" guys, that cement themself as legit NHL prospects or at least as very promising players. So I am mostly talking about the later round guys and not really about the obvious highend guys.

And I doubt you will ever hear Brayden Points and Drouins names in the same sentence. Point has talent and I love him, but would he have anything remotly closse to Drouins abilities, he would have at least been a top15 pick.

I doubt we will see Wilcox ever in a Lightning jersey and I can't blame him, I would sign elsewhere as well in his situation. And I doubt Peca comes close to a Hobey Baker, he is not dominant enough offensivly.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
For me I think Brian Hart has a bounce back year and takes a big step in his development. Harvard is going to be a much better team then the previous years and Hart should get plenty of minutes especially on the PP. He shot pot 15-20.

McLoed should have a strong freshman year, BU needs blueline help and with Eichel on the team they should be one of the best in the country.

Dylan Blujus will finally have a big year. Think he starts on the bottom pair but works his way to mid pair by the middle of the season. Play's decent amount of PP time because of his big right handed shot, he'll also get 2nd unit PK time too. Expecting him to be the Carle of the Crunch, play a lot of minutes in all situations and maybe not wow you with stats but play a steady game.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Hart, Masin, and Witko for me.

In order for Kookoo to surprise me he'd have to pull a Kucherov and play so good the team is forced to make room for him in the NHL.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
Not really a prospect now but if Connolly gets top 6 minutes I think he will do better than almost everyone expects (30-40-70).

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Not really a prospect now but if Connolly gets top 6 minutes I think he will do better than almost everyone expects (30-40-70).

I will take that bet any day. I expect to see him in another sweater by Jan. 1.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't know who'll surprise us, but I know who it's gonna be a hell of a lot of fun to follow: DeAngelo. High risk/high reward guy who's probably going to give us some indication on whether SFY was right or wrong to draft him so high by the end of this year.

Drouin's final Q season was important, because he had to prove he could do it without Nate. But I feel like the stakes are even higher with DeAngelo.

jayslightning79

@jayslightning79
Aug 22, 2013
Moncton NB

Here are my bets:

I think the biggest surprise this will be Joel Vermin and Jeff Costello (if he does sign with TB or AHL deal with SYR).

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't Connolly is 22 years old I can see him being a 55 point 60 point guy. But in the coming years other talent will push him out of tampa.

Other talent is not going to push out a 60 point guy.

If Connolly scores 40 points, I'll consider it a pretty big success.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Other talent is not going to push out a 60 point guy.

If Connolly scores 40 points, I'll consider it a pretty big success.

Agreed. If Connolly puts up 40 points, plays a solid 2 way game, and uses his size effectively, I'll be happy.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Connolly has to show up, otherwise he will be in another uniform by January 1st. As a scorer, he has nothing left to prove in the AHL. Mentally, he needs to prove a lot. If he is sent down, he cannot pout like he did last year for several weeks. He needs to swallow his pride, and play his tail off to prove his value to another organization.
As for Witkowski, he may be a bit nervous his first few games but once he realizes where he is, I expect him to surprise a lot of folks. The most surprising part of his game is his leadership from the blueline. He should have been the Crunch Best Defenseman Award winner last year, hands down.
There has been some talk of Dalton Smith getting a few games against the physical teams. While he is willing and able, I feel another year in Syracuse might be best for him.
I really did not see enough of Nesterov to be able to pass judgement. He seemed to have the injury bug last year, so I expect him to bounce back.

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
Brendan O'Donnell - didn't even crack our own cumulative top 25 prospect rankings despite lighting up the rookie camp a few weeks ago. I think he takes a notable step forward over the next year to organizational relevance.

Brayden Point - I also believe Point will have a good enough campaign to be considered a total 'steal' of the third round. Many GMs and fans of other teams will regret not having picked him sooner. I expect training camp with some analogous big league centers will do wonders for his development.

Vladislav Namestnikov - might not be unknown or too surprising to us, but, I expect Vladdy to make a big jump this year. Could force someone else we all have pencilled in at center off to a wing. If he gets in NHL games again this year I think he makes it VERY difficult to send back down any time soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad