Which prospects will step in right away?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Hopefully no one else.

There's no point rushing in any of these kids. An extra year working on their game and making sure they're 100% ready for the NHL can only be a good thing.

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
Would really hurt Sweden's WJC chances if all three of Landeskog, Larsson and Zibanejad were to make their teams. I'm hoping Landeskog is the only one that makes the cut.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Anyone have a chance of pulling a Ryan O'Reilly out of the 2nd round? I guess it's kind of impossible to predict nobody would have expected him to do it either.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
So do I....6'1 and 175-180lbs isn't too small for the NHL. Especially with his skill.

But, do you want to risk the health and development of one of your crown jewel prospects? It's not like Edmonton is in the running for the Cup this year, so why risk it?

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
But, do you want to risk the health and development of one of your crown jewel prospects? It's not like Edmonton is in the running for the Cup this year, so why risk it?
If he can play, why delay things? By the start of the next season he will have gained about 15 pounds in muscle. He's working hard to be ready and should be rewarded if he is in fact ready. Sending him back to junior just for the sake of doing it isn't right and may not be the best way to start a relationship with a player that could eventually be the most important player on the team(#1 center).

2Claude2Giroux

Oct 2, 2009
Lansdowne
Couturier would be playing if the Flyers didn't have Schenn.

Schenn will play on the third line and that's really the only spot Couturier could take.

MountainGoat

the devils never rush their prospects, if Larsson's ready he'll play

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
There's been talk that McNeill could have an outside chance of making the team. It all depends on how well he does in the camp. He does look physically pretty ready.

RECsGuy*

Huberdeau

With the UFA pool being thin on impact forwards, the Florida Panthers' NHL squad being void of legit 1st line talent (unless you consider Booth and Weiss game-in, game-out producers, which I don't) and the absence of a blue-chip forward among the organization's AHL/junior/college/overseas prospects (which Bjugstad, Howden and Shore, while good, are not), it will be awfully hard to justify not keeping Jonathan with the big club in '11-'12.

Then again, if Tallon plans on entering the Nail Yakupov by barely reaching the cap floor with bloated 1-year contracts handed out to scrubs, then the No. 3 overall selection will spend another season in the Q.

Option #2 may be what's best for the club in the longterm, but I don't know if Dineen will be OK starting his NHL head coaching career under the "designed to fail" plan.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I think Ty Biggs has the physical tools to play this year (size/strength and speed) in a checking role, but I'd much rather him marinate in NCAA for a couple years.

Last edited:

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
Well not this year and maybe not even the next. I think i may have heard that he's staying in SEL 1 maybe 2 more years. Then again, i could be mistaken.

I really don't think there has been a decision on Larsson yet. They'll have him show up at the two camps and if he's ready they'll play him. If not then they won't

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
Nugent and Landeskog are pretty much locks, and Huberdeau, Larsson, Zibanejad would get a hard look in training camp. Flyers with Briere-Giroux-Schenn-Betts seems unlikely for Couturier, and what are the Isles going with, Tavares-Nielsen-Bailey? Seems Strome will stay.

Sleepers? With great camps, McNeill, Puempel, Phillips.

CoveRoad973

Nov 7, 2010
Nugent and Landeskog are pretty much locks, and Huberdeau, Larsson, Zibanejad would get a hard look in training camp. Flyers with Briere-Giroux-Schenn-Betts seems unlikely for Couturier, and what are the Isles going with, Tavares-Nielsen-Bailey? Seems Strome will stay.

Sleepers? With great camps, McNeill, Puempel, Phillips.

Good call on Puempel, Ottawa is in bad need of an offensive boost. That said, he has some work to do.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011

I'm not sure that it would be better for his development for him to not play in the NHL. I think it would be best for him to jump right in.

I am a bit worried about risking his health. I'm not sure if that'll change much in a year, though. He'll always be smaller.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad