Which prospects will make their NHL debuts this season

Which players will make their NHL debut this year

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I have Balcers, Suomela, and Middleton. I get the feeling that Middleton will be one of the first call-ups on D, if not the first.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
You’d think Middleton would get called up before Wood? Not saying you’re wrong, just curious

Yes, my feeling is that the org really likes him. I don’t think he’s anything special, but I don’t decide who gets called up.

Satastic

Nazi punks **** off
Sep 12, 2014
Riverbank, CA
Yes, my feeling is that the org really likes him. I don’t think he’s anything special, but I don’t decide who gets called up.
That’s fair enough.

Now that’s I think about it, was there a time last season where one of the seven D men on the main roster didn’t play? If there is I can’t remember who was in the lineup

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
That’s fair enough.

Now that’s I think about it, was there a time last season where one of the seven D men on the main roster didn’t play? If there is I can’t remember who was in the lineup
Only Ryan, Heed, Demelo and Martin rotated in and out of the lineup. Dillon missed a game because of suspension, Braun because of illness.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I said radill, soumela, merkley (i believe they give a few nhl games before being sent down to the ohl)

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
That’s fair enough.

Nope. We played only 8 total D last year. I firmly believe that Middleton would be the ninth.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I said radill, soumela, merkley (i believe they give a few nhl games before being sent down to the ohl)

No way Merkley is gonna play NHL next season. 0%. Needs to work on his game against the puck and hit the gym. He said it himself. Radil and Praplan 100% are gonna get a chance if they put in the work needed. Don't know about Suomela but surely Radil and Praplan will leave if they don't get into NHL games. They may not even finish the season with the Barracuda because lots of European clubs would be prepared to throw stupid money at them.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
I'd imagine more than we think. DeBoer wouldn't give the 4C until a SC 4th C vet came in, it will take a lot to lock down those spots.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I think you guys are sleeping on Kyle Wood. My guess is, depending on how they perform in the minors, Middleton is the first call-up on the left side and Wood is the first call-up on the right side. I don’t think Ryan Merkley will play in the NHL this season

Also, while we’re talking about players this board should stop sleeping on, let’s talk about Lukas Radil. His KHL scoring rate translates to 45 points per 82 games in the NHL. He had 38 points in 51 KHL games, while Ilya Kovalchuk had 63 points in 53 KHL games on a significantly more stacked team. That’s a much smaller margin in production than you would expect between a sure fire top liner and a non-NHLer. At age 27, with those kinds of numbers, I can’t imagine Radil signing that contract without some sort of promise that he would at least have a fair chance to prove himself in the NHL. The same goes for Suomela and Praplan to a lesser extent; their converted scoring rates are less impressive but still respectable.

Then again, guys like Balcers, Gambrell, Chmelevski, Chekhovich, and Chartier all conceivably deserve at least a cup of coffee based on their AHL/College/junior performance, no? Our forward depth is incredibly clogged, which isn’t a bad problem to have. But I think that all 8 of the forwards I just mentioned will have a chance to prove themselves and I think we will trade at least a few of our current forwards to make it happen.

Last edited:

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Merkley is an interesting case in that playing a couple NHL games to show him how much he needs to improve to stick might actually motivate him to make the improvements he needs to do while in juniors. He’s used to being the best player on the ice and being able to fall into lazy habits because he is just so much better than his teammates and most of his opposition. Show him how much further he has to go, that NHL teammates will have certain expectations of him that he’s nowhere near right now, and that there are things he can get away with in juniors that he won’t be able to in the NHL, and maybe he works harder to make those improvements.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I think maybe Middleton or Balcers. I forgot Gambrell played in the big club for a bit.

I wonder what the Sharks had to promise Gambrell to get him not to go to free agency.

I think you guys are sleeping on Kyle Wood. My guess is, depending on how they perform in the minors, Middleton is the first call-up on the left side and Wood is the first call-up on the right side. I don’t think Ryan Merkley will play in the NHL this season

Considering Simek's contract, I would guess that he would be the first call-up.

Also, while we’re talking about players this board should stop sleeping on, let’s talk about Lukas Radil. His KHL scoring rate translates to 45 points per 82 games in the NHL. He had 38 points in 51 KHL games, while Ilya Kovalchuk had 63 points in 53 KHL games on a significantly more stacked team. That’s a much smaller margin in production than you would expect between a sure fire top liner and a non-NHLer. At age 27, with those kinds of numbers, I can’t imagine Radil signing that contract without some sort of promise that he would at least have a fair chance to prove himself in the NHL. The same goes for Suomela and Praplan to a lesser extent; their converted scoring rates are less impressive but still respectable.

Clarification required on the point translation; how is it calculated? I'm wondering if it might be not be corrected for an age bias. In aggregate, you may be comparing 18-20-year-old prospect scoring in the KHL to their mature NHL numbers, resulting in a more generous translation.

Then again, guys like Balcers, Gambrell, Chmelevski, Chekhovich, and Chartier all conceivably deserve at least a cup of coffee based on their AHL/College/junior performance, no? Our forward depth is incredibly clogged, which isn’t a bad problem to have. But I think that all 8 of the forwards I just mentioned will have a chance to prove themselves and I think we will trade at least a few of our current forwards to make it happen.

I think the chances are excellent that the Sharks get at least one top-6 forward out of all those prospects, and there is a small chance at a first-line player from the bunch.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

As I mentioned many times I like Wood...but he's not NHL ready. He needs at least one full AHL season and lots of work on his skating. Having said that, I can see the Sharks having him as Nr.1 call up for RD. I hope it doesn't happen and that they're gonna play DeSimone over him in such a case. Wood played a great first AHL-season but then got figured out because of his poor skating/mobility. He needs to re-establish that he can play AHL first.

Such numbers games may work when comparing stats of European leagues...but the NHL is completely different. Players have to adjust a lot...the best European player could be a bust in the NHL because he's not able/willing to adjust his game. It takes effort and dedication to change the way you played for years and accept a different role in a team...maybe even play AHL.

Suomela played 3rd line in Finnland...I assume he's gonna stick and battle it out no matter what. No money to be made in Scandinavia and their leagues aren't what they were anymore. Scandinavians tend to stay...just watch Heed. Praplan and Radil are different. No way the Sharks promised them anything but surely they're aware that those guys are gonna walk asap if they don't get a chance. Praplan was almost point per game on a terrible team (that finally got relegated) for the last two seasons. He can easily get a big contract in Europe whenever he wants to.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad