Which prospects will make the NHL if a deal gets done?

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by trahans99, Jan 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. trahans99

trahans99 Registered User

Accountant
    I don't think there will be NHL this season, but if by some miracle they get one done, what CHL, NCAA and AHL players are likely to make the jump the NHL.

I'm already guessing at Spezza, Camileri, Lehtenon are obvious from AHL and i'm sure there 200 more.

I'm more interested in CHL prospects.

Dion Phaneuf: almost sure bet
    Coburn: next year
    Getzlaf: should be w/ Anaheim
    A. Stewart: may make Florida
    Fritche: Doug Maclean said Fritche would be on team if NHL starts
    Perry: probably not till next year (hope not)
    Schremp: may have slight shot at playing in EDM (shouldn't till atleast 1-2 years.... HOPE NOT)
    Seabrook: probably stay in CHL this season and AHL or NHL next year
    Bergeron: obviously w/ Boston
    Horton: same goes as Bergeron

Who else could make the jump from CHL and leave there junior teams?

2. Robertsson 4-ever

Robertsson 4-ever Registered User

Student
    Detroit's Niklas Kronwall will most likely grab a spot on Red Wing's blueline.

Among other swedish prospects, Yared Hagos and Henrik Lundqvist are two that I think will be signed when the NHL starts up again, and contribute right away.

Two other probable signings are Dragan Umicevic and Lars Jonsson, but they might start out their North american adventure by playing some in the AHL.

3. Slats432

Slats432 Registered User

Home Page:
    I am pretty sure that the NHL teams will leave the juniors and NCAA guys with their teams. Although it isn't impossible for them to make a rule for this year's CBA allowing the CHL guys to jump. It would be a bad idea though letting guys play for 3/4 of a season and then ask them to jump to the NHL.

4. Charge_Seven

Charge_Seven Registered User

CHL I don't know, but I believe Carlo Colaiacovo is a virtual lock to play for the Leafs in the next NHL season. If there's a cap, we'll definitely have to shed some huge contracts, and Leetch out for Carlo may be a terrible thing, but financially it makes sense, and they do at least play similar (although not anywhere near the same level) games.

5. trahans99

Accountant
    I agree 100%, but if the NHL team had plans of them playing in NHL before lockout (Getzlaf, Phanuef, Fritche) they may bring themup. I don't think they should for 20 games in NHL season.

6. 417

417 Registered User

Marcel Hossa
    Chris Higgins
    Tomas Plekanec
    Alexander Perezhogin
    Ron Hainsey

Could all conceivably play with the Habs next season, Hossa and Hainsey IMO are locks to make the team, while I think either Higgins or Plekanec will make the team in a 4th line capacity, while Perezhogin would be on the team, but his suspension makes it an iffy situation, but there's nothing stopping him from playing for the Habs

7. LadyByngJeanRatelle

LadyByngJeanRatelle Registered User

Home Page:
    Patrick O'Sullivan

8. salty justice

salty justice Registered User

I dont think the Hawks will bring up any CHL guys this year or next. They always bring their NA prospects through minors for atleast part of a season before a callup. Not to mention theres plenty of guys in the AHL deserving of a shot right now.

If the season resumes, expect these Norfolk players to be on the Hawks opening roster:

Ruutu
    Vandermeer
    Babchuk
    Moen (hope not but probably)
    Matt Keith (possible)

Bourque, Yakubov, and Vorobiev are deserving of call ups but I dont think there will be room for them. They are also playing great right now together, so they will probably stay to help the Ads in the playoffs.

9. Volcanologist

Volcanologist Used Register

The Leafs plan to bring Alex Steen to camp whenever hockey returns.

10. trahans99

Accountant
    If the leafs call him up, what line would he play on and with who? any ideas?

11. Bacchus

Bacchus Registered User

Student
    Home Page:
    Five rookies in the Habs-line-up??

12. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Registered User

Home Page:
    ladd could make the canes if they wanted to pull him up.

13. leafaholix*

leafaholix* Guest

If he makes the team he'd start playing on lines 3 and 4, work his way up.

14. 417

417 Registered User

No, I didn't say that, I said that Hossa and Hainsey are petty much locks for the team, IMO, one of Plekanec or Higgins will make the team, the other will be sent down, and I think Plekanec is the one who will make it out of the two, while Perezhogin is up in the air because of the suspension, but i've read Habs management feels as though he's ready for the NHL...

So IMo, definately 3 rookies will make the lineup with an outside shot at 4 rookies, thing is, Hossa and Hainsey have already seen significant NHL action in their short careers

15. Flames Draft Watcher

Flames Draft Watcher Registered User

Home Page:
    Normally it probably would be a bad idea. However a lot of NHLers haven't played at all, and some have played at lower levels. Guys like Phaneuf could conceivable actually have an edge on these guys early in the season if it started up right now.

16. Flames Draft Watcher

Home Page:
    As a Hitmen watcher I don't feel he's ready at this point. Perhaps next year though.

17. Flames Draft Watcher

Home Page:
    Carter I would put up there as one of the most probable. Perhaps Richards as well. Of course Philly would have to sign both.

I think Coburn could move up immediately. Weber doesn't look far off either. Although in Weber's case he is hurt by the fact that the Preds have multiple young defensemen (Hamhuis, Suter, etc) they are going to be working in shortly. But he looks pretty similar to Regehr at the same age and Regehr made the Flames as a 19 year old.

18. trahans99

Accountant
    What about Perry, Schremp and Fritsche? I don't think any are ready, but Columbus has already said they expect Fritsche to make the team. I think it would be more benefical to Fritsche to play for the Mem cup than sit on Col. bench.

19. salty justice

salty justice Registered User

Norfolk coach, Trent Yawney said today that Babchuk has been the biggest disappointment of the year. With that being said, he may not get his shot at the NHL as soon as he thought. Yawney praised Duncan Keith as being the best Hawks D prospect behind Barker, and he may get a shot for such high praise in his 3rd year in the AHL.

20. The Maltais Falcon

The Maltais Falcon Registered User

Is that because he's playing well enough to cut it in the NHL or because Atlanta's blueline sucks? Many seem to have soured on Coburn over the last season and a half.

21. Flames Draft Watcher

Home Page:
    I think he can cut it in the NHL. I think he could use the challenge. He needs to work on his physical game.

I wouldn't say that many seem to have soured on him. Don't put too much stock into the overall opinion of this board or some posters on this board. Probably a lot of the biggest doubters don't even see him that often. He hasn't developed at the same pace of a guy like Phaneuf but that doesn't mean he won't be a very good defensemen in 5 years. I'm still quite high on him. Very good hockey sense, fantastic size/skating combo. He could be more assertive offensively, have more of a mean streak and add some strength. He should be able to work on all those things over the next few years.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  22. Pred303

Pred303 Registered User

old soldier
    pred coaching staff has already publicly addressed this very situation you guys are talking about(re-start,january mini-training camp)

preds have several guys on their AHL roster trotz has already said would be called to any minitraining camp held in this situation...trotz also said he would limit any mini session to 25 skaters...shishkanov,upshall,pivko would get looks for one open forward slot...smith,fiddler,smithson for one centerman spot....suter,hutchinson,zanon as possibles to win a dman spot(which would require the preds to cut a veteran dman and is unlikely).....and that tootoo,hamhuis have spots already..

someone on this thread mentioned weber might stick,but that won't happen(you wouldn't think)with the pred depth on the blueline right now....weber will almost surely play next year in the AHL with MIL and get his first look year after next at camp with the preds...

23. Masterovic

Masterovic Registered User

From CHL I would move up immediately Carter, Phaneuf, O´Sullivan, Coburn and Getzlaf

24. firstroundbust

firstroundbust lacks explosiveness

25. Chaos

Chaos And the winner is...

Home Page:
    Daley, Miettinen, Ellis for sure would be up with the Stars.....Ott as well, but he's not a prospect anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.