Speculation: Which Prospects will make team out of camp

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Thomas should be a lock. He fills a need, plays a 200 foot game, and is NHL ready. No reason he needs to be in juniors, he already dominated last season.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
He’ll need to prove it in camp, but I think you can make the argument that Husso can be put in “nothing left to prove category”. He’s 23 and has completed 5 professional seasons including the last two in North America and has excelled in all 5 seasons. If we’re truly “stuck” with Allen, maybe Husso’s time is now.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
He’ll need to prove it in camp, but I think you can make the argument that Husso can be put in “nothing left to prove category”. He’s 23 and has completed 5 professional seasons including the last two in North America and has excelled in all 5 seasons. If we’re truly “stuck” with Allen, maybe Husso’s time is now.
If Hutton is gone, are there any really viable backup options that would be better than Husso? I mean if Husso comes up and completely screws the pooch, then you put him back down in San Antonio and see if you can get another backup off the scrap heap. I'm just not sold on any of the backup UFAs that are floating around out there and I'd hate to see them spend prospects on a backup that may be pointless by next year when Husso is ready.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
It really depends on what FAs and trades we do or don't make. As is, we could be looking at this:

Schwartz Schenn Tarasenko
Steen Thomas Fabbri
Sobotka Berglund Kyrou
Jaskin Barbashev Soshnikov

Edmundson Pietrangelo
Dunn Parayko
Bouwmeester Schmaltz

Allen
Husso

I think that Thomas, Kyrou, and Husso are the most likely out of the prospects to make it out of camp. I'm not sure if Husso or Kyrou stick past the nine game trial, but I think it's hopeful.

The 9 game trial isn’t a thing for them anymore, if they aren’t ready they’ll play in the AHL

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Want to preface this by saying that everything depends on potential trades/UFA acquisitions. For example moving out one of Berglund/Sobotka would obviously make more room on the roster or signing a UFA like Bozak would leave less room. And there is a very real possibility some prospects are moved for immediate top 6 help. It's still way too early to accurately forecast any of this...but it's fun to discuss, so what the heck, why not?

Out of camp, I think Thomas and Thompson are very very likely to make the team. I think at least one of Sanford and Blais is likely too, but not a lock by any means.

Kyrou I think starts in the AHL. Would be awesome if he forced his way onto the roster out of camp, and certainly wouldn't rule it out (especially given the current roster's glaring weakness at RW). Just think he would be best served getting his feet wet in professional hockey at the AHL level first.

Kostin, Stevens, Foley, Walman, and Husso more than likely start in the AHl as well IMO. Mikkola is a total wild card, but I think it's possible he or Walman make the team depending on Gunnar/Bouwmeester's health.

Well, barring even zero signings, especially if tage cracks the roster, how does Sanford and Blais make the team?

Schwartz-Schenn-Senko
Steen-Thomas-fabbri
Sobotka-Berglund-Tage
As well as barbashev, kyrou(maybe), Sundqvist, bridziak(maybe) and soshnikov

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
As currently constructed, I would roll these lines

Schwartz-Schenn-Kyrou
Fabbri-Steen-Tarasenko
Berglund-Thomas-Thompson
Sobotka-Barbashev-Soshnikov
Sundqvist

Edmundson-Pietrangelo
Dunn-Parayko
Bouwmeester-Schmaltz
Gunnarsson-Bortuzzo

Allen
Husso

If and when we add an actual 2C, I’d move one of Fabbri/Steen down to the 3rd line, move Berglund to 3RW, and have Thompson and Kyrou battle for the RW spot next to Schwartz/Schenn.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
3C or RW depending on offseason acquisitions. Sheltered deployment and likely PP2 time. Points wise I feel comfortable projecting 20+ Points given health. Likely most of his points come from assists. He could break out and score 50 but that would be unlikely.

Reactions: StaalForOne

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I'm expecting a bit more than that, especially if he plays in 70+ games. I don't think 10-15 goals and 20-25 assists are out of the question, especially if he gets pretty regular PP2 time. A breakout of 50+ points would be a pleasant surprise, but certainly not an expectation.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
I'll go balls to the wall and say 60 points. 20-25 goals, 35-40 assists. Realistically, somewhere between 40 and 50 I think would be it, depending on PP time and his 5v5 linemates.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I'm expecting a bit more than that, especially if he plays in 70+ games. I don't think 10-15 goals and 20-25 assists are out of the question, especially if he gets pretty regular PP2 time. A breakout of 50+ points would be a pleasant surprise, but certainly not an expectation.

Yea. I think Thomas is at least a bit more NHL-ready than Schwartz was in his rookie season. Schwartz had 13 points in 45 games. And Schwartz ran out of steam bigtime that year because he was used to playing in college, so he also played a lot of his minutes on low lines. If Thomas doesn't fade as much and gets more time with scoring line players, he should definitely do better than Schwartz's mid-20's point pace. 40+ wouldn't surprise me at all. That's right in line with Fabbri's rookie year.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I wouldn't be disappointed to see Thomas and Kyrou spend half a season in the AHL. Its a big step from junior hockey to the NHL, and a brief stay in the minors can be helpful.

Can Sanford make the team? When we saw him at the end of the 2016-2017 season, he was very slender. People wondered if he could bulk up in the offseason, but we never got much of a chance to find out because he was injured in the first training camp practice.

In case people have forgotten, Sanford is 6"4" tall, was a second round draft pick (61st overall), and is only 23 years old. He showed some good hands when he was up with us ( "sick hands" was how Berglund put it).

Reactions: TheBluePenguin

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
I wouldn't be disappointed to see Thomas and Kyrou spend half a season in the AHL. Its a big step from junior hockey to the NHL, and a brief stay in the minors can be helpful.

Can Sanford make the team? When we saw him at the end of the 2016-2017 season, he was very slender. People wondered if he could bulk up in the offseason, but we never got much of a chance to find out because he was injured in the first training camp practice.

In case people have forgotten, Sanford is 6"4" tall, was a second round draft pick (61st overall), and is only 23 years old. He showed some good hands when he was up with us ( "sick hands" was how Berglund put it).

I think he can maybe as a Dark Horse to say.. he was having a good camp last year before he got hurt.. so there is a good chance he makes it over Thompson... Thomas will be on the roster opening day unless he gets hurt the Blues have that penciled in.. 3rd C.. I would also be surprised if Kyrou is not on the team... Unless they have a really bad camp..

Reactions: TheBluePenguin

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis

He is in the Thompson boat for me, they both showed flashes but need to beef up, they were both pushed around way to much, they would be killers in a no contact league though lol

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL

Thomas can't play in the AHL...he'd be owed back to Hamilton (or whichever team trades for his rights).

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

I would be very surprised if Thomas spent half the season in the AHL. He can't play in the AHL. Its NHL or OHL for him.

Sanford could make the team as depth, or if we totally strike out on bolstering the line-up. But saying he is only 23 years old is misleading, First, he'll be 24 a month into the season. 2nd, 23 is when many forwards hit their prime. 23-27 is about an average forward's prime. There are exceptions, but not making an NHL impact as a forward at 23 is concerning. He has one more year or 27 games of waiver exemption left. He makes it this year or he's worthless.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I would be very surprised if Thomas spent half the season in the AHL. He can't play in the AHL. Its NHL or OHL for him.

Sanford could make the team as depth, or if we totally strike out on bolstering the line-up. But saying he is only 23 years old is misleading, First, he'll be 24 a month into the season. 2nd, 23 is when many forwards hit their prime. 23-27 is about an average forward's prime. There are exceptions, but not making an NHL impact as a forward at 23 is concerning. He has one more year or 27 games of waiver exemption left. He makes it this year or he's worthless.

There wasn't much he could do to make an impact last year. He's not a top prospect, but the Blues need all the help they can get. I'm rooting for the guy.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
I would expect more than 40 points for both Kyrou and Thomas....wouldn't be at all surprised if they hit 50 points if given 2nd line type time and some PP time. If they are given the same ice time, I think Kyrou might outscore Thomas.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

Starting 45 games as a pro would be a nice thing to see before saying he has nothing left to prove in developmental leagues. I have zero doubt that he has the talent to be a top 15 NHL goalie. So does Jake Allen. So do 50 or 60 other guys. But a huge part of being a starter in the NHL is handling a 50+ game workload, which is a difficult thing to do. Husso has played fewer than 40 games in each of his 2 North American pro seasons and his career high in Finland was 41 games.

At 23, Allen played 52 games for the Chicago Wolves and posted a .928.

I want to see Husso do that. Prove to me you can keep those numbers under a starter's workload and then I'll be firmly in the 'nothing left to prove' camp. I don't think it's the worst thing in the world if Husso is earns a spot on the big club, but it wouldn't be without question marks.

Reactions: Shwabeal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->