Which prospects / players will surprise us this year?

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
It's time for my yearly "Which prospects will surprise us this year?" thread, however I decided to include our NHL boys as well, as they can usually suprise us just as much. Well and surprises can also be on the negative side, meaning they fall completly off a cliff.

For some giggles here are the last two threads:
2014 - http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1711559&highlight=
2013 - http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1484175&highlight=

So here are my picks:

Cedric Paquette: He will make a name for himself as one of the top bottom 6 guys, playing more like a 3rd liner, but on our 4th line and gets consistent. Elite shutdown guy with ~ 18 goals and 30 points.

Mitchell Stephens: He will have a huge year and will play on a 1,5 PPG pace, and take people completly off guard like Christian Dvorak did this season. (if you don't know him: 2014 2nd round from ARZ played at a 0,5 PPG range predraft and played close to a 2 PPG range this season)

Henri Ikonen: I don't know why, but neither did I with Nesterov. He was kinda disappointing last season, but he will play big this year IMO and might even earn a big boys cup of coffee.

Boko Imama: Just because nobody of us knows what to really do with him, he will play above a PPG pace and make himself a really interesting prospect.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Dennis Yan scores close to 50 in the Q. He has a Duclair type breakout where everyone wonders how he fell to the 3rd round.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm with you on Ikonen. I think he'll put last year behind him and have a similar, if not as spectacular, trajectory to Nesterov. By the end of the year I think he'll be a huge part of the Crunch team.

I'm planning to see Imama play in Saint John as much as possible this year. Should be fun.

Callum

Jun 8, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Spencer - Masin become a very dominant pair and lead the Petes deep into the OHL playoffs.

Ikonen starts to gain comparisons to Palat.

Peca follows in Killorns footsteps and is the first callup never to be sent down. Forces Yzerman to make a trade.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Nhl- drouin will break out

ahl- matt peca will breakout and do well there

juniors- I think dennis yan breaks out scores around 38 to 50 goals for once me and hose agree there

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I'm hoping that Spencer figures his game out next year. Confidence seemed to be a major issue for him last season, if he can improve his decision-making with the puck then he'll be in for a monster year.

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
Steven Stamkos - Seems like there is a large enough contingent of people thinking he is going to get overpaid in an extension this summer and then suck or similarly underperform on said contract much to our collective (if expected) horror. I believe his agent will drag out the extension negotiations to maximize his leverage, possibly into unrestricted free agency. Because of this, I also believe Stamkos will return renewed, refocused, committed, and determined to delivering his best season yet. Last year was one of adjustments; injury/recovery, confidence, no Marty, Captaincy, TKO dominance and shifting defensive focus against, overall offensive drought late in season and playoffs, losing the cup. His detractors may say these are just excuses, but, Stamkos hasn't tried hiding behind any of them as such. Contract or no, I bet he plays like our best player all year and challenges for the Hart.

Young Defensemen - Koekoek, DeAngelo, Nesterov, Sustr, Witkowski, etc. - I think we see enough solid development and progress out of at least three of these guys that the prospect of walking away from Coburn next offseason, trading Carle at a loss, or buying out Garrison in the last year of his deal turn out to be more addition than subtraction.

Nikita Gusev - He'll have a good enough season in he KHL to ensure he always gets paid more to play there in a higher role than he'll ever start at in the NHL and thereby crush any chances of us ever seeing him come to play for the Lightning.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Steven Stamkos - Seems like there is a large enough contingent of people thinking he is going to get overpaid in an extension this summer and then suck or similarly underperform on said contract much to our collective (if expected) horror. I believe his agent will drag out the extension negotiations to maximize his leverage, possibly into unrestricted free agency. Because of this, I also believe Stamkos will return renewed, refocused, committed, and determined to delivering his best season yet. Last year was one of adjustments; injury/recovery, confidence, no Marty, Captaincy, TKO dominance and shifting defensive focus against, overall offensive drought late in season and playoffs, losing the cup. His detractors may say these are just excuses, but, Stamkos hasn't tried hiding behind any of them as such. Contract or no, I bet he plays like our best player all year and challenges for the Hart.

Young Defensemen - Koekoek, DeAngelo, Nesterov, Sustr, Witkowski, etc. - I think we see enough solid development and progress out of at least three of these guys that the prospect of walking away from Coburn next offseason, trading Carle at a loss, or buying out Garrison in the last year of his deal turn out to be more addition than subtraction.

Nikita Gusev - He'll have a good enough season in he KHL to ensure he always gets paid more to play there in a higher role than he'll ever start at in the NHL and thereby crush any chances of us ever seeing him come to play for the Lightning.

I agree with you across the board (although I'm discussing everything Stamkos as he was this season until the next one starts).

emg0827

Apr 4, 2015
I think Koekkoek is in for a huge year, especially if he gets paired with DeAngelo.

Peca is gonna be great as well. i think a lot of people are going to be really surprised by his skill level.

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013
Tanner Richard - I've always liked him and I think he'll have a breakthrough season in A, finally. Will get some time as an injury replacement in the bottom-6 for the big club.

Brian Hart - will have his best college season so far and takes a big step forward in his offensive game's development (still don't see him becoming a scoring forward in the NHL but he could be a very solid middle-6 winger, IMO).

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013
Brian Hart is going to be playing in Syracuse. He left college.

Thought he had another year left in the college but actually I just realized that I had seen people putting him in Syracuse's line-up. Thanks for the correction, I'll have to say that right now I've no idea how he'll do in the AHL - even so, I really like the guy and hope that he'll have a good season.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Thought he had another year left in the college but actually I just realized that I had seen people putting him in Syracuse's line-up. Thanks for the correction, I'll have to say that right now I've no idea how he'll do in the AHL - even so, I really like the guy and hope that he'll have a good season.

He did have another year but he elected to leave early. Either saw his ice time there shrinking or felt staying another year would be a step back for him(his progress did stagnate last season).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad