Speculation: Which prospects make the jump next year?

Which prospects make the jump?

• Total voters

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I was listening to Gregor/Strudwicks's show and was interested in Struddy's suggestion that McLeod, Bouchard, and Holloway could be full time players next season for us. He also mentioned Lavoie and Benson as outside shot possibilities. You'd have to think this would have implications on the upcoming off-season if the organization feels we could have 3-4 internal options step in next year. I'm curious what others think as someone who has not paid much attention to our prospects this season?

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I think Samorukov was on track but I'm not sure how much or if his injury this year will set him back.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I hope Samorukov, since we've been hearing his name for a while.

I think McLeod makes the jump and Bouchard plays the majority (if not all) of next season as well.

Holloway might find a spot on the team later in the year if he does really well in the AHL.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I was listening to Gregor/Strudwicks's show and was interested in Struddy's suggestion that McLeod, Bouchard, and Holloway could be full time players next season for us. He also mentioned Lavoie and Benson as outside shot possibilities. You'd have to think this would have implications on the upcoming off-season if the organization feels we could have 3-4 internal options step in next year. I'm curious what others think as someone who has not paid much attention to our prospects this season?
I wouldn't disagree with your suggestions, however, are we talking full time or in and out of the lineup? Because the ol in and out routine could defintely happen with those guys as they learn the ropes.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Organization isnt dumb enough to pencil any of these guys in the squad. Holland might just not crazy with signings like Haas, Nygard, Jurco, Granlund, Shore, Quine, Griffith, Cracknell etc

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Doesn't Benson need to go through waivers to get sent down next year? I'd think that probably puts him into the Devin Shore role at the very least.

Reactions: Faelko

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Benson, McLeod and Bouchard

Holloway as a dark horse if either one of the two forwards above doesnt make it

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Doesn't Benson need to go through waivers to get sent down next year? I'd think that probably puts him into the Devin Shore role at the very least.
The situation Benson is in makes me wonder if he'll be used as one of our larger trade chips at the deadline. He needs to go through quarantine to get called up, so it's unlikely that we see him at all this year in Edmonton. So he's going into expansion as one of the top scoring AHL forwards with no guarantee he'd make an NHL team in the following year.

Marody is kind of in the same boat, but I don't think he has the same lustre.

Reactions: Nunymare

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The situation Benson is in makes me wonder if he'll be used as one of our larger trade chips at the deadline. He needs to go through quarantine to get called up, so it's unlikely that we see him at all this year in Edmonton. So he's going into expansion as one of the top scoring AHL forwards with no guarantee he'd make an NHL team in the following year.

Marody is kind of in the same boat, but I don't think he has the same lustre.
Benson to VAN makes sense. He is a BC boy and VAN will likely sell at deadline.

Edler, Sutter are pending UFAs.. There is 4pt man Virtanen.

Benson+cap

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I can see Bouchard getting Barrie's role next year.

Same with Benson for Ennis/Kahun.

I think Marody will be the #13th forward whom they're reluctant to waive next year, but he won't get a shot until injuries hit.

If the Oil don't bring back both Khaira and Haas, then McLeod will have an straightforward shot at the #3 centre spot.

Samorukov is directly tied to Klefbom imo. I think Oscar will get a shot to reclaim his spot next year, but his shoulder will ultimately do him in. Samo takes over by New Year's.

The year after will be when Broberg and Holloway start knocking on the door.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Benson+cap
I would think he'd be a more valuable piece for a team in the US. They could call him up without having to quarantine.

Reactions: Nunymare

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
I don’t think any of them will as regulars, except maybe Bouchard, but he’ll be affected by Holland’s decisions on Barrie and Larsson. I don’t believe Benson has a future with the Oilers and will be used as a trade chip. Marody is probably the next Alexander Giroux

Reactions: JBear

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I would think he'd be a more valuable piece for a team in the US. They could call him up without having to quarantine.
Way too many fringe NHLers on taxi squads of most teams. With playoffs 6 weeks away i dont think anyone would be trading for Benson to be in NHL. He would be going to a seller for a rental as a prospect .

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Way too many fringe NHLers on taxi squads of most teams. With playoffs 6 weeks away i dont think anyone would be trading for Benson to be in NHL. He would be going to a seller for a rental as a prospect .
I'm not sure sellers pass up the chance to test drive a few prospects in the coming weeks. Why prioritize guys on your taxi squad? With the expansion draft looming there are a number of guys who could potentially shake loose. Teams that are clearly out of it should really be looking at the potential of buying low on some of them.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Benson+cap

Benson is as much a BC boy as I am. He’s from Edmonton. Actually went to the same junior high (years apart, though). He played for the Vancouver Giants though.

Could see him being a trade chip though

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Benson+cap

Benson isn't a BC boy. He is from south Edmonton, played for Confed, then SSAC where he set the Bantam AAA world on fire before he was drafted by the Giants. I know his dad.

Eradic Dvorak

Mar 22, 2021
Nordegg
I predict Holloway, Benson and McLeod make the team.
Nuge - McDavid - pulju
Holloway - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Benson - McLeod- Archibald
Ennis - Khaira - Haas

Kassian

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I went with Bouchard and Mcleod. Bouchard looked fine in the few games he played this season and should be on the 3rd pairing next season. If he could play left side with a stable vet like Larsson, that would be ideal for him imo.

Mcleod is progressing nicely in the AHL and has the footspeed to thrive in the NHL. I think he makes the squad next season in a bottom 6 role.

Holloway will probably spend a full season in the AHL as Holland hates rushing players (I agree with this mindset unless Holloway looks like one of our best players in training camp).

Benson looks really good on the farm and is putting up some great numbers so far. Only worry with him is if his game translates to the NHL. Below average footspeed and more of a top 6 playmaker. I have similar concerns with Mcleod but Mcleod is a really good skater so I'm less worried about him.

Reactions: LemmyUlanov55

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
I went with Bouchard and Mcleod. Bouchard looked fine in the few games he played this season and should be on the 3rd pairing next season. If he could play left side with a stable vet like Larsson, that would be ideal for him imo.

Mcleod is progressing nicely in the AHL and has the footspeed to thrive in the NHL. I think he makes the squad next season in a bottom 6 role.

Holloway will probably spend a full season in the AHL as Holland hates rushing players (I agree with this mindset unless Holloway looks like one of our best players in training camp).

Benson looks really good on the farm and is putting up some great numbers so far. Only worry with him is if his game translates to the NHL. Below average footspeed and more of a top 6 playmaker. I have similar concerns with Mcleod but Mcleod is a really good skater so I'm less worried about him.
I agree 100% with what you wrote, thanks for doing all the work. :cheers: :snide:
Voted for Marody instead of Benson though, at this point I feel Cooper got the extra footspeed needed for todays game, Tyler seems a tad too slow, at least that's what I got from his stint with the Oilers. Wouldn't mind to eat some crow b/c of this in the future, though.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
We will have roster spots in the bottom six for McLeod, Benson, maybe Marody, if they earn it. Bouchard is a lock in my opinion. Holloway should make it, he's that good. Outside shot for Lavoie, depending on how he finishes the year in Bakersfield.

Nuge - McDavid - Pulujarvi
??Kahun/Benson/Holloway?? - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
??Kahun/Benson/Holloway??- McLeod/Khaira - Archibald
Neal/Benson/Kahun- McLeod/Khaira - Kassian
* if Holloway doesn't take a top 9 role, I would wager he goes to the AHL.

Nurse - Barrie/Larsson (I only expect one to be back)
Klefbom - Bouchard
Russell/Lagesson/Jones - Bear

Hopefully two new goalies. I like how Smith is playing, but we need a starter for the future, not a plug and play after being unable to fix the issue. Koskinen could return as backup, but I'd rather move the salary if possible at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad