which previous 10 drafts will the 2011 draft look like?

vezna*

i hear it's a weak draft, but to put it in context, will it be like the 2004 draft where the top 2 became stars and the rest of the prospect standings will be fairly average with one or two surprises (ie. green)?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This is a strong draft. Don't listen to the so called "experts".

I would see it's a bit weaker than 2009, but much stronger than 2010.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB

I agree to some extent.

For me and most scouts I've read, they think it's not 09, but as deep or deeper in the first 2 rounds as 2010, minus the fact there might not be a Hall, Stamkos, JT, etc.

However, lots of scouts are questioning the depth from rounds 3-7, which 2010 had a decent amount of. That being said, the draft depth usually builds the closer we get because guys are doing a lot more intensive work.

All in all, the whole "weak draft" thing is an HF joke that gets spread by people that have no idea about any players outside the elite top few guys and then the misconception spreads through HF until it's accepted as fact.

Kulebeans

Mar 20, 2010
Toronto
i hear it's a weak draft, but to put it in context, will it be like the 2004 draft where the top 2 became stars and the rest of the prospect standings will be fairly average with one or two surprises (ie. green)?

From who? Any reputable source knows this isn't a weak draft, in fact it is a very solid one but that at most. Sure there is some talent drop off after the top 10 but not by as much as some people think...

Pyke*

I think one factor that has people confused is that there's 4 or 5 guys who are all very good, and with no consensus #1, people say, "It must be a weaker draft".

I don't necessarily know that's true - even if there may not be a Stamkos in this draft.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA

i agree. its not a bad draft. nobody can say that before the guys play in the NHL.

we already have Larsson. im not as high on Couturier as others are, but there is high-end talent here, and there are always late-round steals.

Ryan English

@ryanenglish_FC
Nov 14, 2010
Halifax, NS

Johnson-larsson
couturier-staal
Landeskog-toews (i know that may be a stretch)
RNH- Backstrom

maybe a little more talent through the rest of the 1st

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
The way GMs have been throwing around mid/late 1sts leading up to the deadline suggests that a lot of them don't see it as a particularly deep draft, and I'm not convinced there's a true can't miss star at the top of this draft like there often is. I really like RNH's upside, but he's the definition of a boom/bust guy at his size. I certainly would not be shocked if this one ends up as a below average draft.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The way GMs have been throwing around mid/late 1sts leading up to the deadline suggests that a lot of them don't see it as a particularly deep draft, and I'm not convinced there's a true can't miss star at the top of this draft like there often is. I really like RNH's upside, but he's the definition of a boom/bust guy at his size. I certainly would not be shocked if this one ends up as a below average draft.

I know you've been crazy with the 1sts being traded all over the place, but come on! RNH a bust? If he was Rocco's height it could be a concern, but weight? Come on now, its very easy to gain weight, give the kid a few years to build up.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I'm not sure what to think. The top 5 is pretty solid, certainly better than last years as I think Larsson is at the same level as Hall/Seguin. The 1st round is decent, same with the top 45 picks but I'm not sure I like the rest of the draft. There are some players with potential in the late-2nd/early-3rd but I don't think it's as strong as some make it out to be.

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA

They have been throwing the firsts around because lack of talent that is going to be available during the free agency

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I'm not sure you can label this draft year as any other draft. When it comes down to it, drafting since 2000 or so has become sooo much better. Not only because of the scouts, but because of the game changing and allowing younger players in the leauge. So its a pretty small sample size.

I would say that it is pretty close to 2009 but at the end of the day it will be known for its own unique presence.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

They have been throwing the firsts around because lack of talent that is going to be available during the free agency

And they've mostly been for players on contract. Kaberle's a rental, but Boston has/had every reason to think he'll resign.

TYayo

Sep 10, 2009
everything I hear..
Top 4 are pretty interchangeable High End Guys
Picks 5-10/12 are solid
Everything 13 on is a crapshoot with project guys

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Players from 15-40 being a toss up doesn't make this draft "weak"...to be, that shows its balance.

Kid Canesten

Feb 1, 2011
Ottawa, ON
every mock draft i see, players are interchangeable between the 1st and 2nd round. while no one player jumps out at you like stamkos, the fact that any player 15-40 can go anywhere from 15-40 speaks volumes of how the players rank.

Mojo19

Loyal since 1987
Dec 29, 2006
Nova Scotia
I'd say this draft has very few, if any, bluechip/franchise type prospects... but a bunch of excellent prospects. The best prospects in this draft (with the exception of maybe Larsson) are guys that would be behind the Stamkoses, Tavareses, Halls, Seguins, Doughtys and Hedmans of previous drafts.

Guys like Landeskog, Couturier and RNH would probably have gone in the 4-6th range in most drafts with good top end talent.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
The strength of this draft, just like any other draft, won't be known until 8-12 years down the road.

A heavy top end doesn't make it a strong draft, just like a light top end doesn't make it a weak draft. The draft as a whole can realistically be taken into consideration and evaluated a decade from the draft day.

That said, based on what's being said about various prospects, the 2000 and 2002 drafts might be reasonable comparables.

I don't believe that it'll be as weak as 1999 or as strong as 2003, for example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad