Which players will compete with Malkin this season for the Art Ross?

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Going into the season I thought Malkin, Marchand, Kucherov and MacKinnon were McDavid's biggest challengers. P. Kane is right there also.

McDavid should will still probably win it but the top of the leader board has a lot of the usual suspects.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
I think people are a bit too much on the McDavid hype train

No question he deserves to be the favorite but he is by no means unbeatable.

To me the top 5 threats in no order are

Mcdavid
Crosby
Malkin
Mack
Kane

Kucherov could be up there too

Yah cuz the 21 year old that won it 2 years in a row has lost a step and his hands have gone to sh%$. Lets get real. McD will win unless he gets injured. There are other great players that have hot streaks and can lead for a time but over the course of 82 games McDavids talent and consistency will win out

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Lol McDavid was sick for about a month last year and still left the competition in the dust by years end. PPG doesn’t mean anything at the end of the year.

And keep in mind his team was terrible.

In the dust? That has already been proven to not be the case.

If one wants to take a closer look at his season, a comparison of his PPG when the Oilers were in playoff contention vs. his PPG when they were done for the year and it was "garbage time" is an interesting one.

As for his team was terrible, the great ones produce regardless unless you want to devalue his 16/17 season because the Oilers were good and McDavid had the 8th best scorer on his line for most of the year.

He for sure is the favourite based on the last two years and could get better given his age but his Art Ross wins get overrated.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
No one is pretending anything. However someone is pretending that a guy who just won 2 consecutive Art Ross Trophies by age 21 is not the clear cut favourite to win the Art Ross in a landslide as he enters his prime years lol.

McDavid is the 2nd player in hockey history to have done this.

and your talking about landslide .. cmon man

Is it an absolute guarantee for a 4th year and/or 21 year old player with McDavid's pedigree to show a significant leap in production?

OV, Malkin and Crosby all had varying degrees of ups and downs and status quo as they hit their primes. Like Crosby, I think McDavid hit his prime far earlier than traditional thinking because he was a lot closer to being NHL ready than prospects from 20 years ago and beyond.

ManWithNoName

Unregistered User
Jul 9, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
I did not say he has no talent. You're reading stuff in between the lines that doesn't exist. I said his current production is inflated because of luck (he should finish with 80-ish points, hardly enough for the Art Ross) - see his oiSH% Mikko Rantanen Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Well unlike you I guess I prefer watching the games instead of just looking at fancy stats. He plays really well, even better than last year and has been unlucky a couple of games. He could have had another 4-5 goals with a little bit of luck.

Unless he gets injured I don't see their line failing anytime soon, meaning his production will continue with some ups and downs.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Well unlike you I guess I prefer watching the games instead of just looking at fancy stats. He plays really well, even better than last year and has been unlucky a couple of games. He could have had another 4-5 goals with a little bit of luck.

Unless he gets injured I don't see their line failing anytime soon, meaning his production will continue with some ups and downs.
Right so he'll get 140 points this year, got it.

talitintti

Oct 13, 2018
Healthy McDavid will score between 120 and 140 points this year and no one will compete with him.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Healthy McDavid will score between 120 and 140 points this year and no one will compete with him.
Healthy McDavid produced 100 and 108 points in his last two seasons. Last year, scoring increased. This year, scoring has gone up a bit too but not enough to prognosticate an increase from 108 to 120 or higher production. 110-115 is my expectation for McDavid this year.

talitintti

Oct 13, 2018
Healthy McDavid produced 100 and 108 points in his last two seasons. Last year, scoring increased. This year, scoring has gone up a bit too but not enough to prognosticate an increase from 108 to 120 or higher production. 110-115 is my expectation for McDavid this year.
You're allowed to your opinion.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Fair point but in mcdavids case he’s always going to get premium minutes and top pp minutes. You can’t tell me last year’s team benefited Mcdavid especially with that power play lol.
I doubt sid and malkin get as many points over the years if one isn’t there. Especially because of the power play benefits of playing with each other. And ya I know malkin has played better when Crosby has been hurt at times but not always and Crosby usually benefits with malkin in the line up. And when you have two good players like that on other lines teams have to spread out their match ups a little more evenly. Mcdavid is absolutely the number 1 2 and 3 priority for other teams when they play the other oilers

Edit I messed up this whole reply lol

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
You better believe 120 is possible out of Mcdavid. He scored 108 on a dust team as a 20/21 year old.

The higher the points the more difficult it is to increase. Going from 108 points to 120 is different than 50 to 62 for example. I agree it's doable, just unlikely imo.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
The higher the points the more difficult it is to increase. Going from 108 points to 120 is different than 50 to 62 for example. I agree it's doable, just unlikely imo.

With nhl levels going up close to the year after the lockout im inclined to believe that if joe Thornton can get 125 Mcdavid will do it once in his career as well. We shall see tho I guess

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011

108 point on the worst powerplay of the league a terrible under 15% on a league that average over 20%, Oilers can easily score 25 more power play goals this year and he seem to be playing 2 minute a game more this year. Is 20 power play points was really low among the best scorer of the league, he could easily do 30-35.

Last edited:

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
108 point on the worst powerplay of the league a terrible under 15% on a league that average over 20%, Oilers can easily score 25 more power play goals this year and he seem to be playing 2 minute a game more this year. Is 20 power play points was really low among the best scorer of the league, he could easily do 30-35.

Well he is tied for the lead in PP points so far this year and is not leading in scoring so maybe this whole PP thing is overblown.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I doubt sid and malkin get as many points over the years if one isn’t there. Especially because of the power play benefits of playing with each other. And ya I know malkin has played better when Crosby has been hurt at times but not always and Crosby usually benefits with malkin in the line up. And when you have two good players like that on other lines teams have to spread out their match ups a little more evenly. Mcdavid is absolutely the number 1 2 and 3 priority for other teams when they play the other oilers

Edit I messed up this whole reply lol

There is literally no reason to believe this, so do you have anything besides your own personal doubt?

Acallabeth

Heart ablaze
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Nobody is scoring 120 or 140 points unless you have time machine Mario and Gretzky
Last 120 point seasons happened just 11-12 years ago. Ovechkin and Malkin were "on pace" to score 120+ missing around 10 games even more recent than that. It's unlikely, but possible.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
There is literally no reason to believe this, so do you have anything besides your own personal doubt?

There is literally no reason to believe what you said either. Last year the oilers were an ahl team. They had one of the worst power plays ever seen. If you think a 20-21 year old Mcdavid was maxed out on point production in that situation then I don’t know what to tell ya

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->