Which players will compete with Malkin this season for the Art Ross?

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
C’mon lol u know Mcdavid will win this one consistently unless he plays 75 games or less

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
It's not unrealistic for Malkin to outscore Mcdavid. Let's not pretend Mcdavid has won those two rosses by a landslide.
Over the last 2 seasons the top 5 scorers are

1. McDavid 208
2. Kucherov 185
3. Crosby 178
4. Malkin/Marchand 170

Giroux getting hot doesn't help someone else win the next year.

Reactions: Dieseloil

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Over the last 2 seasons the top 5 scorers are

1. McDavid 208
2. Kucherov 185
3. Crosby 178
4. Malkin/Marchand 170

Giroux getting hot doesn't help someone else win the next year.

He has finished .03 and .01 ahead of the 2nd best in PPG each year. Assuming everyone else is healthy, 75 games for McDavid is likely not winning the Art Ross.

reeni1

Oct 5, 2018
Malkin has 112p in his last 82 games, but odds are he won't play over 75 games

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
He has finished .03 and .01 ahead of the 2nd best in PPG each year. Assuming everyone else is healthy, 75 games for McDavid is likely not winning the Art Ross.
Lol McDavid was sick for about a month last year and still left the competition in the dust by years end. PPG doesn’t mean anything at the end of the year.

And keep in mind his team was terrible.

Reactions: Future GOAT and KCC

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
It's not unrealistic for Malkin to outscore Mcdavid. Let's not pretend Mcdavid has won those two rosses by a landslide.

No one is pretending anything. However someone is pretending that a guy who just won 2 consecutive Art Ross Trophies by age 21 is not the clear cut favourite to win the Art Ross in a landslide as he enters his prime years lol.

McDavid is the 2nd player in hockey history to have done this.

and your talking about landslide .. cmon man

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I'm not (right now, at least). I just don't really care about comparing players, I find comparing teams more productive

Yes depending on terms. Fair enough though but I’ll respectfully disagree. This time last year Ovi didn’t have a cup but he had his own trophies and awards to prove himself individually. I feel like you do need these awards especially for players that are/were in his scenario.

Just my 2 cents

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
Yes depending on terms. Fair enough though but I’ll respectfully disagree. This time last year Ovi didn’t have a cup but he had his own trophies and awards to prove himself individually. I feel like you do need these awards especially for players that are/were in his scenario.

Just my 2 cents
Yup, fair enough. I used to care more about the Art Ross race, Hart trophy, etc. I guess over the years I've just been jaded by good players on good teams with no cups. So that's all that really interests me now.

Don't let my cynicism rub off on you!

Reactions: Taluss

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
No one is pretending anything. However someone is pretending that a guy who just won 2 consecutive Art Ross Trophies by age 21 is not the clear cut favourite to win the Art Ross in a landslide as he enters his prime years lol.

McDavid is the 2nd player in hockey history to have done this.

and your talking about landslide .. cmon man
That's all fine and well but Evgeni Malkin is one of the players who can steal a Ross from Mcdavid. Only two players in history were guaranteed to win the scoring title.

ManWithNoName

Unregistered User
Jul 9, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Malkin
McDavid
MacKinnon
Kucherov
Kane
Crosby
Marchand

all have a chance.

Still put my money on McDavid but Malkin is my number 2.

I see many include Rantanen but I see almost no chance for him. I know he's currently in the lead but he's been very lucky and there is no way he keeps it up and all of the players I listed above are better than him.

You Sir are absolutely correct. He has no talent whatsoever. It’s all pure luck. Some would even say he’s the luckiest player in all of sports. I saw a game once where he accidentally passed the puck to MacKinnon twice then he scored one himself, also by accident. I remember thinking to myself, omg this guy is lucky...

Either way, I don’t see anyone but McDavid winning it. He’s just too dominant once he gets going.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
That's all fine and well but Evgeni Malkin is one of the players who can steal a Ross from Mcdavid. Only two players in history were guaranteed to win the scoring title.
Mcdavid is looking like he might make that a trio. Not that he is anywhere close to those two but there are no generational talents in his age group to compete with. If Crosby Ovechkin and malkin were all 21-25 again it would be a different story.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
You Sir are absolutely correct. He has no talent whatsoever. It’s all pure luck. Some would even say he’s the luckiest player in all of sports. I saw a game once where he accidentally passed the puck to MacKinnon twice then he scored one himself, also by accident. I remember thinking to myself, omg this guy is lucky...

Either way, I don’t see anyone but McDavid winning it. He’s just too dominant once he gets going.
I did not say he has no talent. You're reading stuff in between the lines that doesn't exist. I said his current production is inflated because of luck (he should finish with 80-ish points, hardly enough for the Art Ross) - see his oiSH% Mikko Rantanen Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad