Which players did you know growing up with?

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
Played with and against Dan Paille, Dan Girardi, Andre Deveaux, Cal Clutterbuck, Rick Nash( in tournaments) Eric Staal (OHL Cup) Patrick O'Sullivan, Corey Locke, Kevin Harvey think some others can't remember

Did you grow up in Welland? Ever play with Biznasty?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Kid I grew up playing hockey with in Oshawa, his cousin is Steven Stamkos. It also just so happens that my parents know this guys parents, so Steven is known somewhat through the family.

Around 2015-16, we got some behind the scenes details that he wasn't too happy in Tampa, and he had playing in Toronto as an option since the beginning of his career.

Clearly those details were not correct

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
And it makes the truly elite NHL'ers all that more incredible. Like, I know that I strap on my skates and stickhandle and shoot and play hockey when I'm on the ice. But a guy like Marner doesn't think the game the same way I do. Matthews doesn't experience physical limitations like I do. We're technically playing the same game, but at the same time, we're not playing the same game at all. When I say that Marincin sucks, which I have absolutely written, I do so in full reverence of just how talented of an athlete he truly is.
I get your point. It is like being an Olympians for your Country. Even the person finishing last in any competitions is probably still the top 3 if not the top in that field for their country. Think of it this way, say there are 130 swimmers competing for the 100M Free style, even if you finished last, you are still rank 130th in the World for that year.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Well he stayed in Tampa so the details couldn't have been totally correct

Wrong again... There had been many rumours that he wasn't happy in Tampa.... and it wasn't exactly a secret, that playing in Toronto was an option he considered... he just chose to stay in Tampa.... Which could make all of what was said correct.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Wrong again... There had been many rumours that he wasn't happy in Tampa.... and it wasn't exactly a secret, that playing in Toronto was an option he considered... he just chose to stay in Tampa.... Which could make all of what was said correct.

But I'm not wrong because he stayed in Tampa, if he was truly unhappy in Tampa he would have left but instead he took less than the Leafs reported offer of 7 years 70 million, if he was willing to take less he couldn't have been that unhappy in Tampa because if you are that unhappy you wouldn't take less.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I was playing goal with a bunch of friends up at Doublerink one Sunday morning, and, as happens sometimes, a guy bangs on the glass, and asks if I'll play another game. When my game ends, I lug my bag to the other rink and toss it in the room, and jump onto the ice, as they are just starting.

These guys are really, really good.

After the game (just pickup), I get in the dressing room, and start recognizing some of them. Pete Conacher, Carl Brewer, Pete Stemkowski, Pierre Pilotte, Dick Duff, and others. Turns out to be Pete Conacher's group of NHL old-timers.

The next Sunday, the same guy bangs on the glass again, I play again, and they tell me to keep coming until they tell me not to. I think it was Mike Liut who had pulled a hamstring, and I ended up playing for about twenty weeks with them. Eddy Shack showed up a couple of times, as did several others.

One of the biggest thrills of my life was having Pete Conacher tell me that I reminded him of Johnny Bower, who, along with Tim Horton, were my idols growing up.
To round out the story, about 35 years later, one of my sons, who also plays goal, was in the Scotiabank Pro-Am tournament, and got picked for the final, playing with and against teams that were half NHL old-timers, including Darryl Sittler.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
My friend went to high school with Tyler Seguin. She said he was a cocky prick. I guess some things never change.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Reading comments, you guys are bringing up hockey arenas in Toronto which triggers my memory. I played alot of hockey back then and many arenas in the west end. Played at Double rinks ( coldest arena, always had shrinkage there ), Chesswood, Lambton, Amesbury, Centennial Park, Downsview, North Toronto, Weston, McCormick, Pine Point, and my favorite of all was playing at George Bell Arena, back then I believe it was the home arena of the Toronto Marlies. Does anyone know if these arenas are still around? I moved out of Toronto 1990.
I remember Double Rinks being cold, but there was a rink with a swimming pool attach to it I think it was in Bolton that had to be by far the coldest rink I've ever played it. Of all the rinks I've played at Lakeshore Lions was my favorite, had the old seats from MLG in it.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Played on same little league baseball team as Paul Boutilier, former cup winner with the Isladers.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Went to school with Bryan Bickell growing up. I was a grade above him. Was really cool seeing the Cup come to such a small town and all the party pics from mutual friends on Facebook. That was pretty exciting stuff around here where the best thing going was a bakery lol

Bakeries are the best! Congrats! :)

I'd also like to see a thread of players we've seen after their career, we know we've seen them before but can't put our finger on it. That's happened to me a couple of times, quite different seeing a player past their prime, without a helmet and uniform on.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I was playing goal with a bunch of friends up at Doublerink one Sunday morning, and, as happens sometimes, a guy bangs on the glass, and asks if I'll play another game. When my game ends, I lug my bag to the other rink and toss it in the room, and jump onto the ice, as they are just starting.

These guys are really, really good.

After the game (just pickup), I get in the dressing room, and start recognizing some of them. Pete Conacher, Carl Brewer, Pete Stemkowski, Pierre Pilotte, Dick Duff, and others. Turns out to be Pete Conacher's group of NHL old-timers.

The next Sunday, the same guy bangs on the glass again, I play again, and they tell me to keep coming until they tell me not to. I think it was Mike Liut who had pulled a hamstring, and I ended up playing for about twenty weeks with them. Eddy Shack showed up a couple of times, as did several others.

One of the biggest thrills of my life was having Pete Conacher tell me that I reminded him of Johnny Bower, who, along with Tim Horton, were my idols growing up.

We need a winner button for this post. Thank you.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Eric Lindros scored 5 goals on me in a single game.
I played among several NHLers but was never cose to any.
Later in life, I got hammered with Tucker, Roberts, and Aki Berg twice. Great people to party with. Corson was also there 1 of the times.
Also went to Leafs camp as a kid, so I met everyone from Johnny Bower to Dougie G!!

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Reading comments, you guys are bringing up hockey arenas in Toronto which triggers my memory. I played alot of hockey back then and many arenas in the west end. Played at Double rinks ( coldest arena, always had shrinkage there ), Chesswood, Lambton, Amesbury, Centennial Park, Downsview, North Toronto, Weston, McCormick, Pine Point, and my favorite of all was playing at George Bell Arena, back then I believe it was the home arena of the Toronto Marlies. Does anyone know if these arenas are still around? I moved out of Toronto 1990.

Continuing my hockey journey with my son’s.

Regularly at Downsview, George Bell, Centennial, Chesswood, North Toronto, Amesbury and Weston.

Just thinking of these rinks makes me long for them, and curse this pandemic more. I’ve never been away from a rink for 5 months before, and my son’s are desperately missing playing. :(

Hopefully happier times lie closer for us all.

Great thread. Closest I ever got was we were in Ottawa for my son’s tournament and when the elevator door opened, Tukka Rask was in there by himself. He smiled at my son’s, who were absolutely gobsmacked. We knew the Bruins were in our hotel for a Saturday game against the Sens, but we didn’t expect to see any of them, let alone be alone in an elevator with one.

He was the nicest kids, smiled at my son’s who were just stunned, and held the door open for us coming and going.

Reactions: Shooter14

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
tmp_6726-WP_20151025_00199123043922633534.jpg

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
Party'd with two pretty famous NHL'ers.

Ray Emery (can't believe he died in Hamilton Harbour).
Sean Avery

Both were nuts as teenagers. Neither were your typical jock. Both straddled the line of crazy gangster. They would literally fight people for fun.

PhiladelphiaKessel

DontCrossthe****Line
Aug 9, 2010
Played summer hockey with Ryan Ellis one year. He was a year younger then everyone but by far the best player on the ice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad