Which players are the most "popular" and loved?

Who are fan favourites around the league?

• Total voters

sanitysrequiem

Nov 14, 2009
There is only one answer for the most universally respected player and that is Patrice Bergeron. I've never heard or read one bad thing said about him. By hardcore fans, casual fans, the media, other players, coaches, GMs, etc etc.

The guy is everything you want in a hockey player. Plays both ends of the ice exceptionally well, is a leader and a mentor, does not whine or dive, treats media and fans respectfully, and has won everywhere he's been. Lots of people HATE the Bruins but wouldn't dare say something negative about him.

Bergeron is the man.

Reactions: Ladyfan and Eple

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Last few years Jagr was clear cut choice, teemu before that. Seems like we are in need of another generational European in twilight of his career. Ovi is a great fit.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Subban has the more personable attitude but I thinj Ovechkin is the most liked. Subban can be a tilter on the ice and this in turn tilts fans. Ovechkin just plays the game and is that good.

Id pick Ovechkin for most liked and Crosby for more popular

Eple

It ain't easy being
Mar 7, 2010
Turku
I really don't think Marner will ever gain the status of a fan favorite around the league. Now, I don't follow the player that much, he could be a really nice person and all that but him being a Leaf disqualifies him from the competition. The franchise is too divisive. He'd have to be a Subban-type personality to transcend the Leafs hate. See what happened to Phil Kessel?

Out of the poll options I'd rank them as following:

1. Subban (loved personality and known for his charitable actions)
2. Kessel (your everyman)
3. Ovechkin (risen through the ranks as he has aged and the haters have faded away)

Karlsson and Burns I feel are not quite there yet. Crosby and Bergeron would be my #4 and #5 instead. Barkov and Laine have potential but are too young still.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
I guess it depends on your take but I've never met anyone who doesn't like Bergeron.

I think guys like Ovi and Subban are more popular and mostly loved but there are a large amount of people who don't like them and they really don't like them.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Why are people mentioning Bergeron? Yeah he's super respected as a player and is great, but that's not what the op is asking for..

Ovechkin or Subban.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'd say PK Subban, Connor McDavid, Erik Karlsson are probably the top-3 most "popular".

Ovechkin is in the mix, but while he's loved at times...he's also really hated and dumped on by fans at other times (every spring mostly).

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
There is only one answer for the most universally respected player and that is Patrice Bergeron. I've never heard or read one bad thing said about him. By hardcore fans, casual fans, the media, other players, coaches, GMs, etc etc.

The guy is everything you want in a hockey player. Plays both ends of the ice exceptionally well, is a leader and a mentor, does not whine or dive, treats media and fans respectfully, and has won everywhere he's been. Lots of people HATE the Bruins but wouldn't dare say something negative about him.

Bergeron is the man.

Bergeron is the most popular? Boston doesn't represent the entirety of North America

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->