Speculation: Which players are gone next year?

Which players will be gone next season

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
First one down. Report (In Russian) says Dahlbeck will sign in KHL (CSKA).
Шведский защитник Дальбек перейдёт в ЦСКА
Google Translate:

"Swedish defender Klas Dalbeck will sign a contract with CSKA Moscow at the end of the season.
According to "BUSINESS Online", the defender of "Carolina", whose agreement with the NHL club expires at the end of this season, will take one of the legionary vacancies in the army club.
In the current season, the 26-year-old defender held 33 matches in the regular season, in which he scored 5 (1 + 4) points with a score of -6. For his career in the NHL, Dalbek scored 23 (6 + 17) points in 170 games with a score of -31."

Welp, there goes next season...

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I had no problem with Dhalbeck and wouldn't have minded him coming back. He was a #7 who stepped in, usually got thrown on his off hand side with various partners in various roles. He did about as well as you'd expect from a #7 given all that. I think he's easily replaceable though so not upset he's gone, but won't expect more from whoever they have to fill his role. I'm not sold on Carrick being able to do what Dhalbeck did though.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I had no problem with Dhalbeck and wouldn't have minded him coming back. He was a #7 who stepped in, usually got thrown on his off hand side with various partners in various roles. He did about as well as you'd expect from a #7 given all that. I think he's easily replaceable though so not upset he's gone, but won't expect more from whoever they have to fill his role. I'm not sold on Carrick being able to do what Dhalbeck did though.
The way I see it, you have one small problem with Dahlbeck.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I think moving Skinner for anyone but a similarly competent center would be a big mistake, and that's probably not an easy deal to make. He has his warts, but he's a 3-time 30-goal scorer that notched 37 last year, and you'd be moving him in a down year. If you're absolutely sure that he won't be able to be re-signed, that's one thing, but I'd even try to hammer out a 6.5Mish a year extension whenever that window opens up. This team isn't in the position to be dealing away goalscorers like him, Svechnikov or no Svechnikov. And as good as Zykov looked at times, you absolutely cannot pencil him in as a replacement just yet. Not with the difficulties this organization has had with prospects making the jump to the NHL.

Skinner needs to be taken by the shoulders and shook until his game is molded to be more team-friendly, sure, but he's also not exactly been put in the best position to succeed. Here are his ES linemates by year since the last time he played significant minutes with a decent center:

2017-18:
Derek Ryan - 548:51
Elias Lindholm - 380:07
Justin Williams - 284:04
Victor Rask - 277:37
Phil Di Giuseppe - 241:21
Lee Stempniak - 220:52

2016-17:
Victor Rask - 684:34
Lee Stempniak - 520:00
Derek Ryan - 410:04
Elias Lindholm - 257:07

2015-16:
Victor Rask - 689:54
Phil Di Giuseppe - 337:10
Riley Nash - 300:21
Elias Lindholm - 241:19
Chris Terry - 202:51
Kris Verseteeg - 188:58

2014-15:
Elias Lindholm - 392:28
Victor Rask - 385:31
Riley Nash - 323:58
Alexander Semin - 292:01

In 2013-2014, his second most frequent linemate behind Lindholm was Eric Staal (341 minutes). It's also the last season he scored 30+ before last year.

This isn't exactly a who's who of talent. It's a lot of guys people would be happy to move on from, guys they have moved on from, and Lindholm, who's been frustratingly inconsistent at best in his development. Again, part of this is Skinner's own fault, but he does have a ton of talent that's just waiting to be tapped. Good players produce regardless of who they're with, and he has at times, but he's never been one to make his teammates better on a consistent basis. That's just not who he is, and he probably never will be. But good teams need players like him. If the Hurricanes want to be a good team, they shouldn't move him for anything short of a 30/30 center.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
With the possibility of getting a scorer like svechnikov, ironically I'm more inclined to want to keep skinner actually. With 2 guys on different lines that can score from pretty much everywhere, that's a matchup nightmare. Plus skinner seems to have weird cycles, up year then down year. If the beginning of next season goes well, and he's happy to sign a reasonable contract, I'm all for it. Thanks to Francis, our forward depth should be coming into its own next season. Staal, Necas, Lindholm, Wallmark, Aho, Skinner, McGinn, Foegele, Svechnikov, Teravainen, Williams, Zykov, Rask. That's 13 players that can play up and down the lineup (a couple less so than others). You can build 4 lines that can score from that and roll them out as you like. No more kruger nordstrom jooris defensive line nonsense. The D core is set and maybe just needs some tweaks, maybe insert a veteran and get back a hainsey type figure. Add in a top 6 center and that's a dangerous lineup in a couple years. Biggest thing is to get a goalie. Faulk for holtby?

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I think the caps keep holtby and move grubauer... but I think that is better for whoever is trying to grab the odd man out (us). I think Gru would cost less to acquire- he's an RFA and his contract is up after this year

I mean, I don't really care. Holtby is the more proven guy, but Grubauer is set up to stay with a team for longer, and he's proven capable of a starter's workload. I take whoever is the odd man out. Would look at trading from the left side, I think- Grubauer+ for Hanifin and somebody like Carrick, maybe?

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
I mean, I don't really care. Holtby is the more proven guy, but Grubauer is set up to stay with a team for longer, and he's proven capable of a starter's workload. I take whoever is the odd man out. Would look at trading from the left side, I think- Grubauer+ for Hanifin and somebody like Carrick, maybe?

Most NHL starts in his career this season...28 games. His career numbers are 79 starts in 6 seasons.

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
2014-2017, Scott Darling started more games than Grubauer before being elevated to a starter. With a better SV% in the same time period. Just sayin' - nothing indicates Grubauer is anything different than Darling at the same point in their careers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->