Which player has won the most league titles in different leagues?

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
I had this discussion a while ago with a friend of mine.
The first person that came to mind was Kent Nilsson.
He won in the WHA (Winnipeg 1978, 79), NHL (Edmonton 1987), Switzerland (Lugano 1988 -no playoff though), Italy (Bolzano 1988), Sweden (Djurgarden 1993) and Spain (Majadahonda 1998).
That's league titles in six different leagues. I am sure there's someone with titles from more leagues/countries?

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Must be Nilsson or some other Euro journeyman. Playing in Spain is not par for the course in the first place, so Nilsson is a bit unorthodox in that sense. I suspect he chosed Spain as a hockey destination because of their golf courses.

Mike Richards won the OHL, CHL, AHL and NHL. If he had gone to Europe instead of retiring after he was done in the NHL then perhaps he could have challenged Nilsson.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I had no idea Spain even had a league 20 years ago or that Nilsson played in it...

I've seen the pro ladder pretty far down...ECHL, VHL, etc...but I can't imagine that being very good at all, especially 20 years ago...

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I had this discussion a while ago with a friend of mine.
The first person that came to mind was Kent Nilsson.
He won in the WHA (Winnipeg 1978, 79), NHL (Edmonton 1987), Switzerland (Lugano 1988 -no playoff though), Italy (Bolzano 1988), Sweden (Djurgarden 1993) and Spain (Majadahonda 1998).
That's league titles in six different leagues. I am sure there's someone with titles from more leagues/countries?

Geez thats a tough one to track down. Just spent some time trying to do so however all I was coming up with were North American standards, guys like Scott Niedermeyer & so on who won Memorial Cups, Stanley Cups, WC's & Gold at the Olympics etc. Also came across; wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_Gold_Club .... you'll have to type that in manually as the link doesnt work for some reason... also a page about it on the IIHF HOF website with photo's & bios.... which is rather interesting but not a list of all pro leagues, various levels of Jr & Intermediate, Senior & Semi Pro, North American, British & European Pro Leagues.

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I had no idea Spain even had a league 20 years ago or that Nilsson played in it...

I've seen the pro ladder pretty far down...ECHL, VHL, etc...but I can't imagine that being very good at all, especially 20 years ago...

Going back to 1972 though when they formed an elite pro or semi-pro league exactly, not sure.... if we go way back.... 1922... construction of the first indoor arena.... 1923 & the formation of 4 teams playing domestically under the auspices of the Field Hockey Association as well as some international competition. A wealthy "Count" who had vacationed in Switzerland as a boy falling in love with the game.... friend of Charlie Chaplins..... International Man of Mystery & Intrigue by all accounts.... cryogenic sleep, frozen solid since 46..... and yes yes... I know more however... sworn to secrecy Mr. Farkas..... carry on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad