OT: Which Penguins numbers will be OFFICIALLY RETIRED or UNOFFICIALLY REMOVED FROM CIRCULATION?

Which Penguins numbers would you OFFICIALLY RETIRE or UNOFFICIALLY REMOVE FROM CIRCULATION?

• Total voters

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Right next to the Rocky statue. Think Philly would let us?

I hear they’re working in Philly on a statue of Bobby Clarke breaking Kharlamov’s ankle. So maybe the Superstar statue will have to go in quiet garden around PPG.

Last edited:

WesMantooth

Jan 7, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Jerseys that should be in the rafters include:

21 - Briere (no one is taking that down!)
25 - Stevens
66 - Lemieux
68 - Jagr
29 - Fleury
58 - Letang
71 - Malkin
87 - Crosby

I don't understand why Stevens #25 isn't retired. He practically defined the NHL power forward, or at least became the prototype of it. And was as important to our cup wins as Mario, Francis, Jagr and Coffey were - if not more. The fact that he only got 3 votes is tragic.

Coffey and Francis still feel like glorified rentals to me, much like Trottier and Mullen... despite the fact that I was 12/13 years old when we were winning those cups and all those guys were my idols.

Barrasso is in consideration... Even though he won 2 cups with us, he spent a lot of time injured in his career and had a lot of support from guys like Frank Pietrangelo, Wendell Young and Ken Wregget. But have to pass because of his complete lack of character and you could argue that those offensive powerhouse teams of the early 90s would win those cups with or without him.

Malkin / Crosby are obvious. But Fleuy/Letang get in the rafters because they were the first real franchise players the Pens had in those positions and the led us to 4 SCFs and 3 cups. I think people forget how INCREDIBLE Fleury was in 07/08 playoffs despite losing to the Wings in the SCF, highlighted by his 55-save performance in the 3OT Game 5 win.

Last edited:
Reactions: theicebox

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Some men just want to see the world burn. I usually traded him to the Oilers
I benched him for all of the games, never dressed him, I even turned off the CPU dresses for you thing so Adams wouldn’t get played, and no...not the Pittsburgh Penguins, I had him WBS where he was still benched. My disdain for that tosser was that deep. I didn’t do any trade that wasn’t done by the big club, sure, but movement from the AHL to NHL I did plenty of and Adams was #68 in the press box.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
What is even the point of retiring jerseys anyway?
Agreed

It's stupid

Honor them sure.. But retiring numbers? On a team like PIT we'd have like ten numbers left. Too many stars have made big impacts.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Agreed

It's stupid

Honor them sure.. But retiring numbers? On a team like PIT we'd have like ten numbers left. Too many stars have made big impacts.
It’s just an honour thing and I get it, but some teams go overboard with it, I still get a chuckle at the fact that the Avs I believe retired Bourque’s 77? Lol...

I mean a lot of very good players that are HHOF’ers as Penguins too like Coffey and Francis wore numbers that others have since. I think the next 2 they should hang up should be just the 2 for a very long time - 71 and 87.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
I benched him for all of the games, never dressed him, I even turned off the CPU dresses for you thing so Adams wouldn’t get played, and no...not the Pittsburgh Penguins, I had him WBS where he was still benched. My disdain for that tosser was that deep. I didn’t do any trade that wasn’t done by the big club, sure, but movement from the AHL to NHL I did plenty of and Adams was #68 in the press box.

Damn that's another level. I just like trucking him while he's on the opposition. That's his legacy tho, never should've tried to fight Geno in practice

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Man I'd love to get the full story on that someday though I'm betting we never will.

Maybe he was good friends with Madden and decided to ... take out the trash.

FalseShamelessGrizzlybear-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
He seemed like a weasley little brownnoser of a wank-stain so yeah that almost kinda tracks even though you're kidding haha

For such a smart, team-oriented working class hero it's odd he was seemingly never offered a job in Pittsburgh or elsewhere.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
*blinks*

What's happening to me?!?

But no for real dude got his ass handed to him bad, too IIRC. I've always been really curious about that incident. Especially because Adams at that point was at the peak of his coffee boy powers.

And at that time there was this whole "Adams is the veteran leadership we so desperately need" being broadcast by MM and others, if I remember correctly. Which is doubly hilarious.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
And at that time there was this whole "Adams is the veteran leadership we so desperately need" being broadcast by MM and others, if I remember correctly. Which is doubly hilarious.

Yeah Pittsburgh media was toeing that line pretty hard. That's what I mean by peak of his coffee boy powers. Though at that point he was fetching it for Johnston and not his boy Disco.

Maybe that was why everyone was so grumpy, come to think of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad