OT: Which Penguins numbers will be OFFICIALLY RETIRED or UNOFFICIALLY REMOVED FROM CIRCULATION?

Which Penguins numbers would you OFFICIALLY RETIRE or UNOFFICIALLY REMOVE FROM CIRCULATION?

• Total voters

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Nobody should wear 58 again, but putting Letang’s number up there with 87, 71, and 66 feels off to me. Especially when the 68 isn’t retired. And even if Jagr eventually was I just wouldn’t put Letang in that class.

Like if you retire Letang’s sweater, do you retire MAF’s as well?

Reactions: ziggyjoe212

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
This is why I hate the urge to retire peoples' favorite players. Save it for the very few who never play for another team and are generational talents or tragic cases, and bam. Easy peasy.

Also, like I said, I don't think the team will ever let someone wear 68 ever again, unless of course, we draft some game-breaking Czech or Slovak in the future.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
66, 68, 71, 87 are locks to be retired. They're legends, period.

58 has a legit chance. He's easily the best and most accomplished Dman in franchise history. He should have won the Smythe in 2016 and was in the Norris conversation for several seasons. I'd put him on the fence.

29, 10 are also on the fence. Ultimately I don't think they should be retired. I also don't think 21 should be retired but that's not really a hockey related matter.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
Even if they didn't take 68 out of circulation, no one would have the balls to wear it while playing here.

Personally I think the Franchise is better off honoring Jagr than staying bitter for eternity

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
87 & 71 are guarantees.
68 basically comes down to when/if Jagr wants it, like it or not. Anyone else wearing 68 for the Penguins would be a travesty, so just make it official. I hardly have warm fuzzies for Jagr, but even if his career extended long beyond Pittsburgh, he'll be remembered as a Penguin.
58 is more plausible than a lot of people want to think, but is far from a sure-thing.

Pretty much everything else has been assigned elsewhere. That doesn't mean a number can't be retired...but Briere's number was uncirculated for 3 decades before officially being retired. Enough randos have worn 10 that I feel safe saying Francis just didn't spend enough time with the Pens to get that honor. If 10 didn't, 77 certainly didn't. Beyond that I don't see any serious contenders. Considering the 2 numbers the Penguins have retired right now it's hard to image we suddenly start retiring guys from 30 years ago now. As long as Mario owns the team I wouldn't expect us to throw number retirements out like the Canucks do.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
understandable...you might not have seen him play in the playoffs. for those of us that did, i don't think there is much doubt.

You may have misunderstood me - it's not that I don't understand why people would want his number retired or hold him in high regard, it's that I don't understand why he's in the poll when that decision has already been made.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Francis was brought in to complement what the Pens already had, not going to retire the 10.

Jagr was drafted by and was the team for most of his time here. Spend 11 season with the Pens and 13~ seasons with other teams. When he is done it will be retired. It's not so much if he want's it, he just doesn't want to come back and have all the petulant Pens fans boo him the entire ceremony.

2009,2016,2017; If you were on all 3 of those teams, your number should be retired. #14 to the rafters.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Wait... no Talbot?

SuPa Star...
CreamyRegularChuckwalla-size_restricted.gif

You have failed us all...

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Nobody should wear 58 again, but putting Letang’s number up there with 87, 71, and 66 feels off to me. Especially when the 68 isn’t retired. And even if Jagr eventually was I just wouldn’t put Letang in that class.

No, MAF didn’t play here his entire career. I feel that’s a requisite. If Letang plays elsewhere at some point, no shot, but if he stays here his whole career I think they will give him the same treatment as Sid and Geno. This era of the Pens will be celebrated by the team, great on and off the ice.

Reactions: EightyOne

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Jagr is a tosser.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Even if they didn't take 68 out of circulation, no one would have the balls to wear it while playing here.

Personally I think the Franchise is better off honoring Jagr than staying bitter for eternity
In my EA franchise when I would keep it as the same as the real team, I'd switch Craig Adams to 68 because I can.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Malkin and Crosby officially

Letang unofficial for a good amount of time and Fleury.

Fleury did win with us and I feel he did enough with the 3 cups.

Recchi I didn't vote for but could also be unofficial

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad