OT: Which Penguins numbers will be OFFICIALLY RETIRED or UNOFFICIALLY REMOVED FROM CIRCULATION?

Which Penguins numbers would you OFFICIALLY RETIRE or UNOFFICIALLY REMOVE FROM CIRCULATION?

• Total voters

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
Off-Season Question: If you ran the Penguins which jersey numbers would you officially retire OR unofficially remove from circulation?

I randomly started wondering about this after hearing that Jankowski switched from #77 in Calgary to #14 in Pittsburgh.

This was probably because Paul Coffey's #77 was 'unofficially removed from circulation' instead of 'formally retired'.

In the poll, I have included franchise scoring leaders as well as those with more obscure numbers who had long careers with the Penguins. Lemieux's #66 is not included in the poll since he is automatic.

The Steelers have a similar pattern with unofficially removing numbers from circulation like Bradshaw (#12), Harris (#32), Bettis (#36), Polamalu (#43), Blount (#47), Webster (#52), Lambert (#58), Ham (#59), Dawson (#63), and Ward (#86) to name a few. The only Steelers numbers officially retired are Stautner (#70) and Mean Joe Greene (#75).

The Pirates have a small pantheon of 10 retired jersey numbers (9 Pirates players or managers plus Jackie Robinson). These include Pirates Mount Rushmore of Stargell (#8), Mazeroski (#9), Clemente (#21), and Wagner (#33). For the record, I would support retiring McCutchon's number (#22) for how much he contributed to the franchise.

edit: a mod can rename the thread title to match the poll question, that was a typo.

Last edited:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
20180923mfpenssports12-1576435840.jpg

Giving that number to anyone would be the kiss of death.

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
87 should probably be retired when Sid calls it quits, full stop.

I'd argue that 71 and 68 should be taken out of circulation (after Geno retires, of course).

The guys from previous generations, I don't feel comfortable saying either way since I wasn't around to watch every game of the 90's and previous years :D

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
Brought me outta retirement for this...

Some of these are an absolute insult to even consider

Recchi? Morozov? Hagelin? Lol

Here's the requirements....untimely demise, or HoF while playing a MAJORITY of their career in PIT/incredible civic service while here.

You're welcome:popcorn: , just trying to provoke some interesting discussion.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
If Letang retires as a Penguin, I think they will give him the same treatment as Sid and Geno, who will certainly get their jerseys retired. No one will ever wear 68 here so I’d argue that Jagr should get his retired too, but I understand why it won’t.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Awesome, this topic again!

Again, I think only players that play their entire career here should haver their numbers in the rafters. I think other very well known players should have their numbers removed from circulation if they're iconic enough. I do not think most of these numbers qualify. Seriously, Hagelin? :laugh:

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
87, 71.

For sure.

If the Tang retires here, then 58.

Jagr burned his bridge for me even thinking about for the final time when he ran his mouth about wanting to comeback as a debt to Mario, would play here for peanuts, then signed with the f***ing Flyers for a whole 1 million more.

Hell I'd even give Simon 68 just to give Jagr the middle finger.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
87 and 71 should be definites.

58 is a maybe, leaning toward probably. 29 will get considerations just cause and there will be those who call for it. No thanks, I'd be uninterested in that.

I would be in favor of retiring 68. I lean toward players where most or all of the career was spent here but Jagr was critically important to this team in the mid-late 90s. He may not have SAVED the team in Pittsburgh as directly and visibly as Mario or Sid did but his importance in that era should not be underestimated.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If we're going to chew this one over again, for me the deciding vote on Jagr is that Mario wants it. I am happy to defer and appeal to Mario's authority on this one. Dunno if it happens but there we go.

Also, I'd like it if we end up retiring Guentzel's jersey as that says good things about the next decade (and probably the quickest rebuild ever) but this may be a tad premature...

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
If we're going to chew this one over again, for me the deciding vote on Jagr is that Mario wants it. I am happy to defer and appeal to Mario's authority on this one. Dunno if it happens but there we go.

Also, I'd like it if we end up retiring Guentzel's jersey as that says good things about the next decade (and probably the quickest rebuild ever) but this may be a tad premature...

I think while Mario wants it, if Jagr doesn't care it makes it sort of a moot point. But it's Mario's team, so, who knows?

Reactions: Peat

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
Letang owns or will own every Penguins scoring record (for a defender) by the time he retires. Even with the expected injuries and time's ceaseless onslaught, he'll likely be in the top 40-50 for all-time points for a defender. I am almost certain he'll get his number retired.

Same for Fleury. He owns pretty much all of the Pens goalie records and likely will be in the top three all-time for wins and games played when he retires (and maybe top 10 for shutouts if he lands another starter gig). Combined with his immense popularity with Pens fans (outside of this board), I think he's a lock.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Anyone not voting for Malkin should be banned.

I voted - out of those not already retired, don't understand why Briere is in the poll - for Sid, Geno, and Jagr. Letang could maybe persuade me over the next few years.
understandable...you might not have seen him play in the playoffs. for those of us that did, i don't think there is much doubt.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad