Which pair would you take?

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
This hypothetical situation lets you pick up one of the two pairs for your team. These players will start their careers on your team and end them there. Playing every game in their careers for your franchise. Timonen is close to retirement so I think this comparison is reasonable to make.

Would you prefer to have,

Esa Tikkanen & Teppo Numminen

or

Jere Lehtinen & Kimmo Timonen

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
As someone who's watched every game Timonen has played for the Flyers, I have to pick the pair that has him. I'm probably a little biased but Timonen is a warrior and the ultimate team player. He can play both ends of special teams extremely well. Add into the fact that I think Lehtinen is better than Tikkanen and this was an easier decsion.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Oh man, am I the only one who is thinking Numminen & Tiki.

I feel that maybe Tikkanen is the best player of the bunch. Numminen was once "3rd team all-star" and he even received few Norris votes.

It's close but I'll go with Numminen & Tikkanen. Esa will drive the opponent stars crazy with his "tiki-talk". They just don't make them like Esa anymore. Actually, they have never made them like him. Truly one of a kind player.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Got to go with Tik here. He brought a lot to the table when the chips were down. I want him on my team.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Got to go with Tik here. He brought a lot to the table when the chips were down. I want him on my team.

Ya absolutely. One of my favorite players All Time actually. Comedic value in the dressing room & on the bench alone worth the contract. Big bonus that he was so effective a player.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

He was as dominant at times as Kurri and Messier on the Oilers after Gretzky left. Tikkanen was about a ppg player at his peak and better in the most important situations while also being perhaps the best pest in the NHL, and being an elite defensive forward. To me Tikkanen is a borderline HHOFer if he had a bit longer career (at least with the current standards). The answer to Clark Gilles if he had been on the first two Oilers Cup teams. 72 playoff goals. 5 Cups with 4 as a key member of the team. He trumps the other 3 quite easily in my opinion. And the other 3 are great players. Numminen gets underrated. He was a great puck moving D-Man that was not weak defensively. Timonen is a tank and Lehtinen could score goals and check.

To me Tikkanen is nearly as much a part of the Oilers Dynasty as Coffey, Kurri, Messier, Anderson and Fuhr. He wasn't really a part of the first two championships but was HUGE in the 5th one. He was key in getting the much weaker Oilers to the Conference Finals after 1990 for a couple of years. Key in the Oilers-East Rangers Cup win.

I guess I am biased since he was one of my favourite players. An all-time pest and a player who will never, ever be forgotten. He invented a new language!

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Tough call here. I'm going with Tik and Teppo, but only because I like them more. But I also love Jere and Kimmo...tough call.

Agree with that...very tough call. Had to go with Tik. Absolutely hate him...in a respectful/non respectful way.

He is the Grate One. (the others are "merely" great)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad