Player Discussion Which package would you have preferred?

Which package would you have preferred?

• Toronto's

• San Jose's

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Just curious what people would have preferred, the deal the Sens got from the Sharks or this one :

:leafs

Erik Karlsson
Bobby Ryan ($3,575,000 retained)

:sens

Jeremy Bracco
Josh Leivo
Andreas Borgman
Calvin Pickard
2018 1st round pick (TOR)
2018 2nd round pick (TOR)
2019 2nd round pick (TOR)

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'd prefer the Toronto return but over my dead body do we let the Leafs get Karlsson. The Toronto package has more picks, I assume the players involved are interchangeable with the SJ ones we got.

Reactions: TheCoach

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Just curious what people would have preferred, the deal the Sens got from the Sharks or this one :

:leafs

Erik Karlsson
Bobby Ryan ($3,575,000 retained)

:sens

Jeremy Bracco
Josh Leivo
Andreas Borgman
Calvin Pickard
2018 1st round pick (TOR)
2018 2nd round pick (TOR)
2019 2nd round pick (TOR)

Even without the vomit-inducing thought of EK playing for the Leafuses, I would take the actual package 10 times out of 10.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
^^^ And I couldn't give 2 shits about RYan and his salary moving out. Let SOMEONE bleed Melnyk dry.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Here's how I compared both packages (in order of value IMO) :

1) 2018 1st round pick (TOR) 25th OA vs 2019 OR 2020 1st round pick (SJ) : I prefer the odds of that SJ pick, particularly in 2020 if they miss the playoffs. Or even this year if they miss the playoffs, could be in the lotto. Sens could hit a homerun with that pick, even if it doesn't end that high (see Karlsson, Chabot, etc)

2) Jeremy Bracco vs Rudolf Balcers : Both players are the same age. Balcers just had a very impressive rookie season in the AHL, he was ranked Sharks 2nd best prospect after Merkley. Bracco played on a much better AHL team, Balcers lead his team in scoring as a rookie by 10 pts...

3) Andreas Borgman vs Josh Norris : taking the 2017 19th OA pick here, not even close

4) Josh Leivo vs Chris Tierney : Leivo is 1 year older and still doesn't have a full NHL season under his belt. Tierney has 3... Plus, Tierney looks like he could have some impact

5) 2018 2nd round pick (TOR) 56th OA vs 2019 2nd round pick (highest between SJ/Florida) : I prefer the odds of that Panthers/Sharks pick.

6) Calvin Pickard vs Dylan DeMelo : DeMelo might just be a 3rd pairing D-man and he was the least valuable piece in the Sharks return, but Pickard didn't have any trade value, he got claimed on waivers recently

n/a) 2019 2nd round pick (TOR) vs conditionals : impossible to tell right now but there's 2 conditions where the Sens could end up with another 1st

Also, retaining Ryan at 50% to trade him doesn't accomplish much. He is still a capable forward, just way overpaid. People wouldn't complain as much if he was making like before 5.1 per year. He had monster playoffs in 2017 and despite another injury plagued season, he had a 0.53 PPG last year. If the Sens were to trade him while retaining 3 575 000$, they would also have to find a replacement who can produce ~0.50 PPG, so even if that guy makes 1.0 per year, it costs you ~4.5 per season to "get rid" of Ryan" and have similar production.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'd prefer the Toronto return but over my dead body do we let the Leafs get Karlsson. The Toronto package has more picks, I assume the players involved are interchangeable with the SJ ones we got.

Ah sorry got an emergency I had to deal with so I should have posted this right away but look at post #13

Is that Toronto package an actual rumoured offer?

No it was a trade proposal on Cap Friendly from 8 months ago and the OP bumped it asking me "How’d the Sens do?" I replied : "I would take I still take the Sharks return by a country mile. Like seriously it's not even close."

What does this poll even stem from? Should we have a poll for every hypothetical trade with every other team in the league?

Look at the answer above. It's not my style to make a ton of threads (outside of those prospects polls I guess) but I was too curious about this one. Sorry

That’s a sad package, especially considering it would be an in-division trade.

Yeah the fact of EK wearing a Leafs jersey make it 2 times worse. And they'd have Ryan putting up points on a stacked offense while we pay half of his salary while we'd have had a late 1st, a late 2nd, another 2nd, a lesser prospect than the 2 we got in Bracco, a lesser than we had in Leivo and another 3rd pairing as we had in Borgman. Plus Pickard who could possibly make Condon totally useless (with a 2.4 AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->