Which of these selected Cities has the biggest hockey interest?

Which of these selected Cities has the biggest hockey interest in your opinion?

• Total voters

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
As a Canadian living in Minnesota, the hockey interest here in the twin cities is very big. Pretty close to Canada, but in US there’s obviously the other major sports to compete with.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
As a Canadian living in Minnesota, the hockey interest here in the twin cities is very big. Pretty close to Canada, but in US there’s obviously the other major sports to compete with.

I'd say "hockey" ( as say opposed to NHL fandom) is as big here as it is anywhere in Canada it's just that the interest is more spread out among college, highschool and NHL.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
No American city would have riots due to the results of a hockey game.

This is Vancouver, easily.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Would say Vancouver > Buffalo > Twin Cities > Ottawa > Detroit/Boston.

Ottawa probably has a tonne of interest but Melnyk is killing it rather quickly, so I'd have them lower.

Boston has success and history, but they compete with the Pats, Celtics, and Red Sox, so its tough to imagine they have the most interest.
Detroit - Similar to Boston. Baseball and NFL.
Twin Cities - Vikings have a huge fanbase and are actually semi-decent. Shame they will never win anything, I hate being a vikings fan. Dunno if hockey has more interest than the Twins?
Buffalo - Bills are okay...? Been pretty shit for a long time though. No baseball team and second closest to the border of the US teams.
Ottawa - Dominates the CFL interest wise, but Melnyk is a cancer. No other major sports to deal with.
Vancouver - Also dominates the CFL, not sure fans rioting was 100% hockey, probably just shit distubers followed by mob mentality. No other major sports to deal with, MLS is still meh.

In most of these cities Hockey is probably fighting for #3 with NBA. No one knows for sure, but this would be my guess :dunno:

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
From a % of people interested in the local team its Buffalo by far. Bigger cities clearly have more fans due to population tho. When the Sabres are decent to good you cant find someone that doesnt know whats going on with them

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Vancouver. The other cities have other professional sports team to take away some of its spot light from those cities NHL teams.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'd go with "Minnesota" if we're talking overall hockey interest. There's absolutely massive NCAA and HS hockey fanaticism there, in addition to an obviously passionate NHL fanbase. Though it's uh...not actually a city. So...

If we're talking strictly NHL hockey interest though, i'd say it's probably a toss-up between Boston and Chicago. They're both pretty rabid, passionate, and sizeable fanbases. Though Chicago had some pretty lean years before Kane and Toews and the dynasty came along.

It's definitely NOT Vancouver though. Vancouver has always been a very fairweather sports town. There's always just been too much else going on for hockey fanaticism to take the forefront if the team isn't winning a lot. If you made this poll in 2011...sure, i'd say Vancouver might take it. But not today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad