Which of these selected Cities has the biggest hockey interest?

Which of these selected Cities has the biggest hockey interest in your opinion?

• Total voters

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
Which of these selected Cities has the biggest hockey interest in your opinion?

Minnesota Vs Boston Vs Detroit Vs Ottawa Vs Vancouver Vs Buffalo Vs Chicago

also interested to see in what order you rank them thanks.

Last edited:

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Boston and it isn't close. They're the oldest US-based NHL teams for a reason. There are more Div-1 college teams just within the city limits than there are in most other states as a whole (only one less than all of Minnesota) you expand it the state as a whole and there are more teams in Mass than any other two states combined (excluding NY - one more, and MI -- 2 less).

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
Interest? Hard to say

Michigan produces the most quality nhl players though

I think BC has produced many more over the years. Yzerman, Sakic, Recchi/Kariya as the best 3 compared to Modano, Weight, and Mark Howe. 21 BCers have over 500 points in the NHL compared to 9 from Michigan.

Reactions: bh53

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Ottawa or Vancouver.

Since you said Hockey interest and not specifically the local team I went with Ottawa. I think there is a lot of hockey interest there but the issue they have is that many of those people are from outside of Ottawa so the Sens don't get as much interest as in other Canadian cities but overall hockey is still pretty popular in that city.

But both Canadian cities obviously much higher interest than any of the US cities.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
There’s no American city that compares to Canadian cities as far as hockey interest.

As for the American cities listed, Minneapolis is #1.

Pretty much this, it's Vancouver by quite a bit.

Boston has the Red Sox, Celtics and Patriots in Vancouver the CFL Lions and MLS Whitecaps garner almost zero interest when compared against the Canucks and NHL hockey.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If you think it's Chicago you couldn't be any more wrong. That being said it's not Detroit either.

I'd go Buffalo.

Edit: LOL NO f***ING WAY IT'S BUFFALO I didn't see Vancouver. It's Vancouver, thought it was only US cities.

Reactions: John Johnson

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
You know those 17 days that the Olympics run and it's the only thing that anyone cares about and it's just the non-stop conversation piece with no #2 in sight whether it be at work, school, uni, grandma's dinner table, wherever. That's hockey in Canada. This is Vancouver AINEC.

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
I was born and raised in Buffalo and went to college in Boston. Buffalo wins in terms of percentage of the population involved in hockey no doubt. I think Buffalo probably wins among American cities and that's reflected in the TV ratings.

I also think most Canadian cities beat most American cities. I don't know enough to compare Vancouver v Calgary but it's probably between them and Buffalo for first place.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If you're talking about the cities proper, it's definitely not Boston or Vancouver or Minneapolis-St. Paul, it's 100% Buffalo. The Sabres get a vastly bigger viewer share than teams do in other cities (#1 in the league), and the Sabres have been horrific to watch. It's a working class city packed with hockey fans. Those other cities are bourgeois and people spend their time on other things.

If you want to compare BC, Mass, Michigan, Minnesota, Eastern Ontario, and Western New York, I suspect several of them might top Western New York. But that feels like a separate question.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I live in Boston. The answer is not Boston. Bruins #3 sport at best here.

went with Buffalo.

I'm curious if you mean city of Boston. There are parts of Eastern Mass (and Western Mass) where you see more Bruins than anything else on the tvs. But my impression is that Boston isn't one of those places.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad