Which of these goals against is the worst one to allow?

Which of these goals against is the worst one to allow?

• Total voters

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It was touch and go until Aubin
Chances are it would have been Raycroft back in the net, however I do wonder if Toronto had made the playoffs in 2007 if there would have been a goalie controversy between Raycroft and Aubin if they were not eliminated from playoff contention the next day by the Islanders.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Scoring on your own goalie - terrible thing to happen but so rare that i don't think the guys on the bench necessarily start to hang their heads, more like "wow, that was unlucky"

Failing to clear the puck out of your own end - annoying, even deflating when it happens in the worst times, but in the end pretty common so it shouldn't shock anyone

Delayed penalty call - not that bad really.. there's even a positive not having to spend the next 2 minutes on the kill

Last minute of a period - this can be really bad, especially if it keeps on happening in every game, it will literally lose you games and make you go through the motions for a while in the locker room - while giving a boost to the other team

But i still give the award to:

Shorthanded goals. It's a huge advantage to score a goal when you don't expect to and can give your opponents bench a big lift. And it can completely mess up your PP which is supposed to create momentum - not give it to the other team. There's nothing worse than going on a PP in a crucial point of the game thinking you're going to score a big goal - only to give up one. Lose a game while giving up a SHG and every player and coach will mention it after the game is over.

But i mean, i guess every one of these can be the worst if the timing is terrible, except the delayed penalty i guess.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Scoring on your own goalie - terrible thing to happen but so rare that i don't think the guys on the bench necessarily start to hang their heads, more like "wow, that was unlucky"

Failing to clear the puck out of your own end - annoying, even deflating when it happens in the worst times, but in the end pretty common so it shouldn't shock anyone

Delayed penalty call - not that bad really.. there's even a positive not having to spend the next 2 minutes on the kill

Last minute of a period - this can be really bad, especially if it keeps on happening in every game, it will literally lose you games and make you go through the motions for a while in the locker room - while giving a boost to the other team

But i still give the award to:

Shorthanded goals. It's a huge advantage to score a goal when you don't expect to and can give your opponents bench a big lift. And it can completely mess up your PP which is supposed to create momentum - not give it to the other team. There's nothing worse than going on a PP in a crucial point of the game thinking you're going to score a big goal - only to give up one. Lose a game while giving up a SHG and every player and coach will mention it after the game is over.

But i mean, i guess every one of these can be the worst if the timing is terrible, except the delayed penalty i guess.
My feeling when a team scores on the delayed penalty is this. What if the team who was getting the penalty was able to touch the puck for the whistle and kill off the upcoming penalty. So in some way I take my chances being down for 2:00 minutes rather than allowing a goal on the delayed penalty call.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
My feeling when a team scores on the delayed penalty is this. What if the team who was getting the penalty was able to touch the puck for the whistle and kill off the upcoming penalty. So in some way I take my chances being down for 2:00 minutes rather than allowing a goal on the delayed penalty call.

Yeah you take the penalty for sure if you have the option, but i don't think there's anything about giving up a goal on delayed call that makes you go "damn, that stings". You know they're going to get a decent chance to score anyway on the upcoming PP.

I mean, i don't think anyone will lose sleep over it. "Man, if we just had that PK im sure we win".

Fun poll btw.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah you take the penalty for sure if you have the option, but i don't think there's anything about giving up a goal on delayed call that makes you go "damn, that stings". You know they're going to get a decent chance to score anyway on the upcoming PP.

I mean, i don't think anyone will lose sleep over it. "Man, if we just had that PK im sure we win".

Fun poll btw.
The odd time when I have seen Toronto give up a goal on a delayed penalty call I always say to myself I wish they touched the puck and take their chances on the penalty kill, because they at least have a 50/50 chance of killing off the penalty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->