Which of these goals against is the worst one to allow?

Which of these goals against is the worst one to allow?

• Total voters

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
When goals scored against our favorite teams no one likes to see that happen, however there are some goals against that are even worse when they are scored. I'm referring to short handed goals, on a delayed penalty call, in the last minute of a period, when a player on your team fails to clear the puck and there is the rare time when a player scores on his own goalie. So which one of those types of goals against is the worst one?

Personally I'm going with allowing a goal in the final minute of a period.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The failing to clear the puck when you should have always bugs me. As an Islanders fan I seen that one way to often in previous years, thankfully for the most part we cut down that happening a good amount

Reactions: Master P

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Shorthanded is the most deflating.

Your team is expected to be creating all the chances, and has a high probability of scoring themselves.

Giving up a goal when you have that kind of advantage is tough to take.

Own goal can be worse, but not if it's just a deflection like the majority of own goals. Only when your player actually shoots it in his own net.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Voted scoring on your own goalie, as long as it’s not one of the ones that banks of your skate into your net, then short handed is worse.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
went with last minute but really for great teams it shouldn't matter at all.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Went the third option and was surprised to see so few votes. Getting scored on when the other team isn't even allowed to touch the puck is extremely embarrassing. You only see it happen like once or twice a season and it can be pretty deflating

Edit: unless i misinterpreted and the situation is reversed and you get scored on when there's a delayed penalty against you

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Edit: unless i misinterpreted and the situation is reversed and you get scored on when there's a delayed penalty against you
That's exactly how I meant when I selected that option, because the team who was getting a penalty was not able to gain possession of the puck for the whistle to be blown.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I don't get why period's last minute goals against would be worst? Especially the first and second period - who cares?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't get why period's last minute goals against would be worst? Especially the first and second period - who cares?
You don't think there is a difference being up by 2 goals instead of 1 goal if a team scores in the final minute of a period? Plus why give a team that kind of momentum with a late period goal.

In this example it was not a last minute goal but during the final game of the 2007 regular season Toronto was playing Montreal and the loser would be eliminated from playoff contention. Montreal was leading 5-3 in the 2nd period, however Toronto scored a goal with 2:14 left to make it 5-4. In the 3rd period Toronto scored two early goals and won the game 6-5. If they never scored that goal late in the 2nd period maybe they end up losing.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Context is everything.

Without context it's scoring on your own goalie. Depending upon the context (of the own goal) giving up a shortie might be worse. Also giving up the game-winning goal in the final minute of play might be worse than both.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
You don't think there is a difference being up by 2 goals instead of 1 goal if a team scores in the final minute of a period? Plus why give a team that kind of momentum with a late period goal.
Sorry but I think that that's completely backwards. Indeed, momentum is important. What gives momentum is a goal mid-period, or early in the period. That can then snowball the game out of control over the course of that period. However, what halts momentum is the intermission. As such, last minute goals in my opinion have less impact on the momentum than other goals and I think that the opposite from what you're saying is true. It's like getting a free, extended time out after getting scored against to reset the momentum completely.

I think going up by 2 goals early / mid in the period is much stronger than being up by 2 entering intermission, specifically due to momentum.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Sorry but I think that that's completely backwards. Indeed, momentum is important. What gives momentum is a goal mid-period, or early in the period. That can then snowball the game out of control over the course of that period. However, what halts momentum is the intermission. As such, last minute goals in my opinion have less impact on the momentum than other goals and I think that the opposite from what you're saying is true. It's like getting a free, extended time out after getting scored against to reset the momentum completely.

I think going up by 2 goals early / mid in the period is much stronger than being up by 2 entering intermission, specifically due to momentum.
Here is another example I have. During the 2004 regular season Toronto was losing 4-0 in the 2nd period to Ottawa. However all of the sudden the Leafs score 3 goals at the 9:52, 15:55 and 17:38 marks of the 2nd period and are only losing 4-3. You said the intermission can halt momentum and sometimes that could be true. Plus that night Toronto did not tie the game until the 14:57 mark of the 3rd period and won in overtime 5-4. I should also mention that night the Senators were all battling the flu and various players left for the dressing room, so maybe that was a reason for the Leafs comeback. Still maybe Ottawa does not blow the lead despite their players being sick if Toronto only scores 2 goals in the 2nd period instead of 3 goals, since they only scored 1 goal in the 3rd period.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I went with failing to clear the puck. To me its the only option, outside of scoring on your own net, that indicates an actual mistake by anyone, and therefore is the worst to me.

I get why letting a goal in late sucks, but just because that happened does not mean your team failed to do something specifically, and could just be that the other team did something really good. Also unless its the end of the 3rd, its not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

Failing to clear the puck, by the use of the word fail, indicates to me that someone had the ability to clear it but screwed up, thus causing a goal. That seems more deflating then simply giving a goal up late for some reason.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA

In this example it was not a last minute goal but during the final game of the 2007 regular season Toronto was playing Montreal and the loser would be eliminated from playoff contention. Montreal was leading 5-3 in the 2nd period, however Toronto scored a goal with 2:14 left to make it 5-4. In the 3rd period Toronto scored two early goals and won the game 6-5. If they never scored that goal late in the 2nd period maybe they end up losing.

This was probably, one of the worse and sloppiest game in a long, long while

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->