Which of These Coaching Candidates Would YOU Choose?

Which Coaching Candidate Would You Choose?

• David Quinn

• Jacques Martin

• Kris Knoblauch

• Mark Messier

• Gerard Gallant

• Mike Babcock

• Patrick Roy

• Rick Tocchet

• Bruce Boudreau

• Claude Julien

• John Tortorella

Results are only viewable after voting.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I don't like any of the choices to be honest and I'm not a big fan on making changes for the sake of making changes.

So I guess I'd stick with Quinn for one more year and see how it plays out!

Reactions: McRanger92

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
If we had no head coach right now, I would say Gallant or Torts. But I don't like either one of them enough to move on from Quinn at the moment.

So I'll stick with Quinn on a very short leash.

Reactions: NYR Lurker

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Torts is 1111% unacceptable.
Attitude aside, don't want a repeat of this every skater is another goalie bs.
Girardi was borderline mobile then he blocked so many shots and ... well you know.
You have to wonder, however, what Torts can do with a group like the present day Rangers. Has he ever coached such an offensively gifted team before?

Also, can you imagine Shesterkin behind a Torts-caliber defense? I'm not sure I want him, but I don't really hate the choice either.

Then again, it sounds like Panarin didn't really enjoy playing for him. So... maybe not?

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
My ranking:

1) Messier
2) Tortorella
3) Gallant
4) Roy

and Messier proved what?? Gretzky was not a great coach despite being a great player.. so Messier does not have to earn it cause he is a name. we will be back here within a few years if Messier as coach, same situation..

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
You have to wonder, however, what Torts can do with a group like the present day Rangers. Has he ever coached such an offensively gifted team before?

In Tampa Bay. And their motto was "Safe is Death", and they won a cup.

He gets pigeon-holed as a defensive coach, but I think he is the kind of guy who will adapt to whatever his roster is.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I think its safe to say Quinn will be back next season?

I mean he got through and was part of the exit interviews. Why would Drury keep him around for that if he was intending to go in a different direction?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

I mean he got through and was part of the exit interviews. Why would Drury keep him around for that if he was intending to go in a different direction?
I would think part of the exit interviews was to determine if they should keep him. I wouldn’t expect him to be gone just yet if they’re moving on.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Gallant
Boudreau
Julien

No to the rest.
I will say this, gallant is def the best of that bunch, but if the went Boudreau the team sure would be entertaining to watch. I don’t think Martin would let it be too much of a defensive debacle if he’s on the staff still

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
I voted Roy for the luls. Looking at the results, ew Gallant. Glorified cheerleader. Maybe if the team had a strong veteran leadership he'd work here (like in the AV era) but a team this young needs more structure than he would provide.

Unusual Suspect

Aug 22, 2005
Warren County, NJ
Voted Knoblauch but I guess "Quinn on a short leash" is my real feeling. I think he's done a very good job in many respects. I'm a little troubled that ALL our top forward prospects seem to have trouble evolving their production (caveat here re Lafreniere's late season uptick). I also don't like hearing that something's been a problem for three years (pass-first mentality in particular); modifying player behaviors when necessary is what a coach is responsible for. If we, and our kid forwards, are slow out of the gate again in a non-COVID-impacted 2021-22, then I guess something will need to be done. The coaching talent pool listed here is not overwhelming enough to feel "geez, we better grab a good one this summer before they're all gone". If there was a Quenneville available I might feel different... but I'm OK rolling with Knoblauch if the axe does fall. Gallant is intriguing, but the questions about his brief-though-successful tenures are good ones. I wouldn't mind Torts back in some ways... but I'm too afraid he'd get all our great young defensemen killed throwing themselves in front of shots and turn all their careers into Girardi's.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I'm not in love with Quinn but im not a Quinn hater either.

I just find it just a little friggin' hypocritical that the owner, who out-of-the-blue, fires two top hockey guys who have been doing more than fine, replaces them with someone with little to no experience who was trained by the two whom he fired - and cites a culture problem with the franchise but the coach isnt part of the problem and gets to stay?

Hockey cultures start and end with a coach and the leadership in the room. Thats why Renney was canned and Torts was brought in and then AV was after him - to change the "culture." No?

Either its a flat out lie or we are living in whacky town. Or both.

NYROrtsFan

Feb 1, 2007
I don't know how anyone could actually HATE the idea of Torts. Being somewhat against it and thinking there are better options, sure, but thinking Torts would be a disaster just doesn't make a ton of sense to me. Players play hard for him and he generally gets the most out of his guys. There's this idea that players despise him but that article in The Athletic who quoted several anonymous players showed that the players were more than fine with him.

I hate the everyone block a shot mentality but we also didn't have enough offensive talent. We weren't winning games any other way. You give Torts this team and they are 100% making the playoffs.

Now, he's not my top option but that's how I feel about it. To be honest, not crazy about almost everyone on that list.

Reactions: Peltz

Unusual Suspect

Aug 22, 2005
Warren County, NJ
I'm not in love with Quinn but im not a Quinn hater either.

I just find it just a little friggin' hypocritical that the owner, who out-of-the-blue, fires two top hockey guys who have been doing more than fine, replaces them with someone with little to no experience who was trained by the two whom he fired - and cites a culture problem with the franchise but the coach isnt part of the problem and gets to stay?

Hockey cultures start and end with a coach and the leadership in the room. Thats why Renney was canned and Torts was brought in and then AV was after him - to change the "culture." No?

Either its a flat out lie or we are living in whacky town. Or both.

I would vote for "both"... but for the notions that have been raised that a) Quinn has ALWAYS wanted a more physical roster, but it was hard to create the last 3 years with an emphasis on young talent intake, and b) Gorton/JD were ALWAYS going to do something to further this objective this offseason... though why they couldn't do that LAST summer is a bit unclear to me.

If the idea is mostly that the fired management wanted to take another 2 or 3 years to get the blend just right as the talent matured... and that Dolan wants to move faster... then Quinn's not necessarily part of that problem. But he's going to be under a lot more pressure to win NOW than he's been previously.

We'll see. But I've had exactly the same reaction as you expressed.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site

I'm guessing the timeline will be something like
1) player exit interviews
2) convene and go over all the info
3) coach exit interviews
4) convene and go over all new info
5) major stakeholder pow wow
6) final decision

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
If we had no head coach right now, I would say Gallant or Torts. But I don't like either one of them enough to move on from Quinn at the moment.

So I'll stick with Quinn on a very short leash.

Seriously as I just commented, there really isn't anyone even close to me saying "oh shit...we gotta hire this guy before someone else gets him" that are available. The only ones I have that feeling for are already hired and coaching other teams...lol.

And that includes Torts who for some reason is the cats meow again. I don't see anyway we are going to go back to the well again on that one...no chance. I think peeps forgot how loathsome and tired the fanbase was of Torts by the end of his tenor here last time!

We go with Quinn for another season and the team is going to make the playoffs next season anyways...I'm convinced of that. So I don't think even Quinn can mess that up. Let's just stick with the current regime and we'll see where things are at.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
Torts is a disaster. Did we not just see him isolate Patrick Laine and Roslovic in record time? Lol we think Quinn sucks of the youngins? This guy is a fast track to having Laf and Kakko traded. People make me laugh.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Pretty amusing to want to get rid of Quinn and bring in a proven quantity and then rally around Knoblauch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->