Which of These Coaching Candidates Would YOU Choose?

Which Coaching Candidate Would You Choose?

• David Quinn

• Jacques Martin

• Kris Knoblauch

• Mark Messier

• Gerard Gallant

• Mike Babcock

• Patrick Roy

• Rick Tocchet

• Bruce Boudreau

• Claude Julien

• John Tortorella

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I'll throw out an interesting one.

Paul MacLean.

Was thinking about him earlier today!

If there ever been a deed by a coach gone under appreciated, it’s MacLean’s impact on Erik Karlsson in Ottawa.

He is going to be up and running on all the latest in Toronto.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
On Torts, I actually think he would do a better job here this time around. The entire league has taken such a big turn away from the way we played under Torts that even he hasn’t been not take impression, and the Vancouver fiasco humbled him.

But he is still to strict on his players for his teams to ever be effective, I think at least.

Reactions: NYROrtsFan

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016

Paul MacLean.
Not sure which season it was, maybe one of the years he was nominated for the Jack Adams but half the Senators team at one point were minor leaguers with the ungodly amount of injuries they had and they still got themselves to the playoffs. Wouldn't be against going with him

Reactions: motopanekeku

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Martin — Solid record of developing stars
Torts — Does a lot with a little; good with youngsters
Gallant — Solid choice overall

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
My ranking:

1) Messier
2) Tortorella
3) Gallant
4) Roy

took it as choose 1.
went w/Knob as there was positive track record when Q was out
Gallant looks good
Julien/Roy - I want an update
Messier does not have proper experience, but might be effective X factor and keeping him w/limited authority input as coach might limit his damage as opposed to his being w/input on trades, estc

Torts is 1111% unacceptable.
Attitude aside, don't want a repeat of this every skater is another goalie bs.
Girardi was borderline mobile then he blocked so many shots and ... well you know.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I am not sold on Gallant. But I don’t know him that well. To some extent, he has certainly been at the right places lately, that scares me a little.

dumpin

Jul 6, 2010
Which one has the patience to deal with a very young team? Can one in canidatae in partular relate better to today's younger pllayers.

Kaapo Hollweg

Jun 21, 2019

Paul MacLean.

Now that is a very interesting name. I did not realize he was an NHL head coach for 3 full seasons only, 2 of which he was nominated for Jack Adams (winning once), and never got another head coach job after. I mean, that is quite an impressive track record.

Anyone knows why he never got another chance? I would be actually inclined to give it to him, unless there are some red flags I am not familiar with.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Too many voices who haven’t a clue of what they are talking about.

When you don’t know, try to listen and learn.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Martin is 68 years old. He's been an NHL head coach for 4 teams and an assistant for 5 teams starting in 1986, and in 35 years, not one team he has been employed by made it past the third round. He won an OHL championship in 1985-86. Think about if you want that guy running your show.

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
Gotta get rid of Quinn before we get to see who’s out there. I have a nagging feeling for some reason that Quinn will be here to start the season. I really really hope I am wrong.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I voted for Gallant because on paper I think he is the best choice. What I don’t know is why he got fired twice in five years after doing a pretty good job in Vegas and Florida. What happened? I’ll never find out but Drury better ask the question before he hires him.

yeah why he burned out so quickly seems to be a mystery...a few names with connections to the rangers that could be first hand references, jagr played for him in florida. and its a long time ago but when gallant was an assistant coach/head coach in columbus he had rick nash, drury's brother ted and jerry dineen's brother kevin.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I voted for Gallant because on paper I think he is the best choice. What I don’t know is why he got fired twice in five years after doing a pretty good job in Vegas and Florida. What happened? I’ll never find out but Drury better ask the question before he hires him.
Apparently he was interviewed for the Caps and Devils job but wasn't hired. He's coaching Team Canada currently and I'm sure he'd like to get back into NHL coaching. There's a lot of openings now including a new expansion team so I expect he'll be coaching somewhere.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
yeah why he burned out so quickly seems to be a mystery...a few names with connections to the rangers that could be first hand references, jagr played for him in florida. and its a long time ago but when gallant was an assistant coach/head coach in columbus he had rick nash, drury's brother ted and jerry dineen's brother kevin.
Yeah the seemingly short stints despite his success are the only red flags with him for me. And maybe also why he wasn't hired to replace any of the coaches fired this season.

Reactions: Leetch3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad