Which of These Coaching Candidates Would YOU Choose?

Which Coaching Candidate Would You Choose?

• David Quinn

• Jacques Martin

• Kris Knoblauch

• Mark Messier

• Gerard Gallant

• Mike Babcock

• Patrick Roy

• Rick Tocchet

• Bruce Boudreau

• Claude Julien

• John Tortorella

Results are only viewable after voting.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
profileIcon_1in7gd8osbc51.jpg

But seriously, I think he'd be a good coach. He is one of the greatest leaders in the history of professional sports, he has an NHL leadership award named after him. He's won SIX Stanley Cups. He desperately wants to coach the Rangers and was considered for the job before already, Edge also said the mutual interest is like the interest between Scrooge McDuck and Money. There are many different schools of thought when it comes to hockey, many bash the old boys club and would even suggest bringing in some analytic nerd with no hockey experience to work for us. Despite my age I'm much more of an old school guy when it comes to hockey. I think all the intangibles that people make fun of are extremely important, having no captain on a team is like a ship without a captain. We saw that spiral out of control here after the departure of Hank, Staal, etc. I think when Mark Messier walks into the MSG locker room he commands respect to a degree that much more tenured coaches don't.
No. Just no.

Reactions: FireGerardGallant

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
I have no idea who should be the next coach. Hopefully someone more qualyfied than me get to make that call:) But regarding Boudreau. Minnesota became much better after he left.

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005
Bob Hartley should be on this list. Worked his way from humble beginning and has won at every level. . Not to mention the connection of coaching Chris Drury for the first four seasons of his NHL career ( Calder Trophy, 3 Game 7 WCF losses DAL/DAL/DET and the Stanley Cup). Additionally Hartley leaned a lot on Drury in 2001 when Forsberg ruptured his spleen.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
My ranking:

1) Messier
2) Tortorella
3) Gallant
4) Roy

Messier has 0 experience, never put in the world to prepare for a coaching position. He just sits on his ass waiting for the job. No, thank you.

Tortorella? Eh, not sure I want to see a 3rd stint of him but you could do worse

Roy is a headcase. He'd be fired by February :laugh:

Reactions: Unpredictable1

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Just rank them according to proximity to BU, then start ticking them off the list depending on availability.

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005
Bob Hartley hasn't coached in the nhl in 6 years? Is he seriously an option or is it just because him and Drury won a cup in Colorado

He hasn't coached in the NHL in five seasons. Three of those seasons he has coached in the KHL, going to a Gagarin Cup Final and then winning the Gagarin Cup. He has stayed relevant and coaching at a high level. He is coaching Latvia at the Worlds this year as well.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I say gallant but I’m a little concerned hearing that he’s not a tactical guy. Not sure if his assistants have done that in the past or what but we badly need someone who can put in a solid structure

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Gallant as a a rule also has his trusted assistant Mike Kelly with him everywhere he goes . He is a former OHL coach and also from PEI . I would also like to see Knoblauch given a chance if we don't get Gallant . Torts ....I'm 50-50 on . I think our club is too soft for him though .

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Even though his name was not on the list and he most likely would not want the job I would want Dale Hunter because of his record as a Head Coach and that he has tremendous experience with coaching young hockey players.
I voted for Gerard Gallant because of his coaching philosophy when it comes to allowing players to play through mistakes and not benching them. He feels that if he sits them after a bad play all that does is make the player play sacred.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad