Which of the top 100 prospects do you think will be busts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
Picard

Very few players that cant skate succeed in the NHL.

Haven't heard anybody suggest skating was a problem. It seems unanimous that they think his style is kind of hunched over which may not be optimal but it sounds like his skating does the job and that he gets where he needs to be just fine.

Can you point me to some sources that question his skating ability?

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
H3ro said:
Just looked to some CHL Skill competition results, and you're out of the track...
Top 5 180' dash
Chad Painchaud, Mississauga IceDogs, 5.820
Adam Berti, Oshawa Generals, 5.896
Bryan Bickell, Ottawa 67's, 5.904
Andy Rogers, Calgary Hitmen, 5.910
Alexandre Picard, Lewiston MAINE-iacs, 5.944

Although I agree with you, Picard isn't a sure pick. He really needs to work on his defensive play if he ever want to have a chance in the NHL.

I don't think learning the defensive side of the game will be a problem for Picard. He seems to have the drive and desire to win, so I think that that should translate over to his personal play.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
Yes, I can....my eyes. Name me one NHL star that skates with a hunch?

What does that really have to do with it?

Are you saying that the hunch will be a problem at the NHL level (safe to assume you are). You obviously don't think it's correctable either.

Most sources I've read have noted that it's a bit of an awkward style but several call him a very good skater despite the awkward style. If it doesn't hurt his ability to get from point A to point B then I don't see why it's a big deal.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
ktownhockey said:
Iam gonna have to go with Kyle Chipchurra.

Why was everyone so high on this kid.
Ive watched him play a few times and he didn't stand out at all to me. Maybe iam wrong? maybe some insight on the kid before I proclaim him a bust.

Also I think Drew Stafford will be a huge bust. I don't think he's as good as he;s rated.

One thing I hate is when American players go the college route and they get higher ratings than OHL players who would dominate in the NCAA. I know most of it has to do with size and potential but I can't see a guy like Drew Stafford beign rated this high if he were playing in the OHL. Just my opinion I think the NCAA is an awesome league but some of their guys get too much credit.

I wouldn't be so sure as to make that claim about the NCAA. It's a differant game, with alot of players that are several years older than that of those in juniors. When a freshman does well, as Stafford did, it's because he's a good player, not because he's excelling in an inferior league. What I find interesting is how many people are labeling Stafford as a potential bust when most draft services consider him one of the safest bets in the draft. He's a prototypical professional player. Perhaps not as much upside as some, but still has alot going for him.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Stafford has Kris Beech written all over him. He'll be a half decent grinder in the big leagues but not nearly as effective as some would proclaim him to be though against my will Montreal will probably draft him first instead of Korpiskori, Chipchura (who I think has about the same upsides as Stafford but better rounded) or Picard (who won't be available. I won't elaborate any further.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Rabid Ranger said:
I wouldn't be so sure as to make that claim about the NCAA. It's a differant game, with alot of players that are several years older than that of those in juniors. When a freshman does well, as Stafford did, it's because he's a good player, not because he's excelling in an inferior league. What I find interesting is how many people are labeling Stafford as a potential bust when most draft services consider him one of the safest bets in the draft. He's a prototypical professional player. Perhaps not as much upside as some, but still has alot going for him.

Well, Eric Rasmussen and Barrett Heisten were two similar character players who put up similar (or much better, in Rasmussen's case) freshman numbers to Stafford and were taken in the first round, and that really didn't seem to make them all that safe ...

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Bickell has bust written all over him...though I'd like him to prove me wrong.

Montoya, while I don't think he will be a bust per se, will have the team that drafts them slappin their forehead(s) for not drafting Dubnyk or Schneider over him.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Valabik, Stafford, and Bickell.

Especially Valabik. Stafford should at least be a fourth liner in the NHL, but I don't see him coming close to the worth of his draft position.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Hero of Tragedy said:
Montoya, while I don't think he will be a bust per se, will have the team that drafts them slappin their forehead(s) for not drafting Dubnyk or Schneider over him.

from what i read, montoya is one of the safest picks. he'll find his way to a starting goalie, but not a star though.

schwarz has something like bust or superstar written on his face. he either will be a vezina candidate or won't ever make it to the NHL.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I have an eerie feeling that either one of Malkin/Ovechkin will bust.

I know that's a 50 percent shot, out of the pair, but, just one of those bad feelings. I hope I'm wrong.

Similarly, Radulov is probably a potential bust in waiting.

KH1

Definately Valabik. To me he seems much more Kudroc than Chara. Wojtec Wolski screams Brad Isbister at me. And I'm not sold on Marek Schwarz if the Coyotes take him at #5. He will qualify as a bust in the sense that he is not going to be anything close to the players picked around him in my opinion.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
zecke26 said:
from what i read, montoya is one of the safest picks. he'll find his way to a starting goalie, but not a star though.

Which is why I won't call him a bust but I do think Dubnyk and Schneider will prove to be better starters over time.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:

Every heard of this guy named Dave Andreychuk? Everyone said he was too slow and skated too poorly to be anything at the NHL level. Well guess what, he's turned into one of the top goal scorers of all time.

KingofSpain

Mar 5, 2002
Windsor, ON
Visit site
Devan Dubnyk - Large goalies tend to break down.
Bruce Graham - Another giant, from the Q, kinda soft.
Rostislav Olesz - See Phaneuf hit.
Enver Lisin - Speed sometimes isn't enough.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Kritty said:
Every heard of this guy named Dave Andreychuk? Everyone said he was too slow and skated too poorly to be anything at the NHL level. Well guess what, he's turned into one of the top goal scorers of all time.

Same with Luc Robitaille. However, I do wonder if those two had just been starting out in todays era whether they ever would have been given a real shot.

gameface

May 30, 2004
Maple Ridge, BC
Don't know it this will be like the '99 draft, but I can see more busts than booms. Only time will tell.

My candidates:
Boris Valabik - being big and mean doesn't cut it at the NHL level if you can't catch up/keep up to the ones you want to be mean to, unless of course you're just slashing them on the way past
Wes O'Neill - I'm beating a dead horse, but guys who have the project label attached to them have always set off alarms. How many 'projects' have ever gone on to great success?
Andrew Ladd - not any one thing, and I hope I'm wrong, just a gut feeling
Travis Zajac - haven't seen him play; however, the wide variety of comments I've seen about him and the nature of the comments have me doubting him. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

With the exception of Ladd and likely Valabik, it's likely that O'Neill and/or Zajac are available to the Canucks when they pick. I'm hoping and praying that they pick neither of them.

Brownies

Legionnaire said:
Same with Luc Robitaille. However, I do wonder if those two had just been starting out in todays era whether they ever would have been given a real shot.

Andreychuk is Huge and willing to go to the net, he would've get a chance. Pierre Dagenais is playing for the habs, so Robitaille would get a chance too.

X0ssbar

monster_bertuzzi said:

Aaron Johnson for the CBJ (although far from being a star) - he skates with a really unorthadoxed hunched style. Actually he is one of our better defensive prospects - that's not saying much given our defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->