Speculation: Which of the following moves hurt the bruins most?

Which of the following moves hurt the bruins most?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Is it hindsight when some folks here questioned these moves the day they happened?

It's the nature of the beast. There will always be "some folks" here that will question any move that is made the day it happens. It is the way it is. Just because they believed they were right at the time does not disprove the old adage that hindsight is 20/20. And that only means that one can see clearly.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Trading away a 19 year old future #1 center because you couldn’t help guide him to maturity was a major fail. Getting back turdichi for him was worse.

Had we kept Seguin, Krecji could have been moved in his prime for picks and assets to shore up whatever weakness we had at the time.

Talent is hard to find (as illustrated, apparently, by some of our draft choices) and harder to acquire. Letting it slip through your fingers without getting equal value is a damn shame.
Their judgement on bailing on Seguin wasn’t that bad. He hasn’t exactly shown he has what it takes to lead a team to winning (yeah I know, he was injured blah blah).
As with the Thornton trade, the issue was the shitty return, not the trade itself.
also, the answer to this thread is the 2015 draft ainec. That was unbelievably bad at the time, and just as bad in hindsight. That made me realize that three quarters of the fan base were more qualified to be a GM than the guy with the job.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Going to go against the grain here and say Backes. The 2015 draft is obviously the fan favorite, but we have no idea what would have happened if we took the guys everyone says we should have. No idea how they would have developed in Boston, how they would have been used or how the team would look because its a rabbit hole of endless possibilities and what-if's.

So I'm going with Backes because his $6 million tied up a good part of our cap space while getting 3rd/4th line production (when healthy) out of him. That $6 million could have been used in better ways to improve the team, but it also wasn't an easy contract to move. IMO Kase was worth Axel + 2nd but with ANH taking Backes it bumped the 2nd to a 1st for this year. This is considered to be a pretty solid draft and not having a 1st rounder hurts.

With that I'm going to step out of this thread because in reality its just going to turn into an extension of the 2015 Draft Thread :)
You don’t know how they would have developed? They were fully developed. Barzal, Connor, Konekcy all stepped into the NHL as teenagers and dominated, as pretty much everyone not named Don Sweeney said they would.
I agree it’s hard to say what would have happened, including how many cups we would have won and how many ageing vets we would have offloaded, but there is no f***ing question we’d be in a better situation today with 20’ish year old franchise Centre and franchise wingers on the team.

Reactions: Estlin and Blowfish

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
You think '15 was bad...
As others have eluded to "I can't watch them pick at the draft" and this goes back '88 for me --- we picked Rob Cimetta (18) and Steve Heinz (60) over Mark Recchi (67), Tony Amonte (68) and Rob Blake (70). Wut?

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
You don’t know how they would have developed? They were fully developed. Barzal, Connor, Konekcy all stepped into the NHL as teenagers and dominated, as pretty much everyone not named Don Sweeney said they would.
I agree it’s hard to say what would have happened, including how many cups we would have won and how many ageing vets we would have offloaded, but there is no f***ing question we’d be in a better situation today with 20’ish year old franchise Centre and franchise wingers on the team.

That doesn't mean they have the same opportunity/roles in Boston. Again rabbit hole of possibilities.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
That doesn't mean they have the same opportunity/roles in Boston. Again rabbit hole of possibilities.

I know that “rabbit hole” is the stock answer that you cling to in attempting to excuse the disastrous 2015 first round of drafting by Boston, but elite talent is elite talent. Both Barzal and Connor, for example, have it, and that elite talent would manifest itself regardless of which team they were playing for. They’d be stars in Boston right now.

Reactions: Dicky113

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I know that “rabbit hole” is the stock answer that you cling to in attempting to excuse the disastrous 2015 first round of drafting by Boston, but elite talent is elite talent. Both Barzal and Connor, for example, have it, and that elite talent would manifest itself regardless of which team they were playing for. They’d be stars in Boston right now.

Do I cling to reality? Yes, its a good thing to do. Is it a rabbit hole of possibilities? Yes and that's a fact. I don't excuse the draft, I just dont obsess over it like some. SCF last year, president trophy this year. I'm going to enjoy what we actually have done vs crying over what maybe we would have done based on a roster we have no idea what it would look like.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->