Which of the bottom 5 teams right now have the brightest future?

Which of the bottom 5 teams have the brightest future?

• Total voters

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Los Angeles Kings
Positives

1C - Kopitar
1RD - Doughty
Negatives
- An old core with some years left on their contracts (Kovalchuk, Carter, Brown, Quick)
- How well will the contacts of Kopitar and Doughty age? While they might be worth their pay now. They can very likely be liabilities when the Kings are done rebuilding and want to compete again.
- Lack of elite talent and the elite talent they have are quite old
- Not a lot of cap to work with

Some of their better prospects/player who have not broken through: Vilardi, Kupari, Thomas, Björnfot, Grundström, Fagemo, Durzi.

Ehh. As long as Kopitar can function as a good 2C/3C later on and Doughty a 2D/3D, we're fine. "not a lot of cap" is wrong, we already have more cap space than all but 5 teams, and plenty more on the way as guys age/trade/buyout their way out and ELCs join the squad.

Also, re: prospects, we should have another high pick, and Blake has been nailing the drafts. Here's our actual prospect pool as ranked by the Kings board (Pronman has us as 4th for farm systems and can't see a way anyone can justify us outside the top 5):

Alex Turcotte, Gabriel Vilardi, Rasmus Kupari, Cal Petersen, Arthur Kaliyev, Jaret Anderson-Dolan, Mikey Anderson, Tobias Bjornfot, Carl Grundstrom, Kale Clague, Akil Thomas, Samuel Fagemo, Sean Durzi, Nikolai Prokhorkin, Johan Sodergran, Markus Phillips, Matt Roy, Daniel Brickley, Kim Nousiainen, Jacob Moverare, David Hrenak, Lukas Parik, Aidan Dudas, Jordan Spence, Blake Lizotte, Austin Strand, Cole Hults, Sheldon Rempal, Bulat Shafigullin, Matthew Villalta, etc.

Blake has quietly put together some insane organizational depth and another draft or two will be monstrous. And there are some salvageable young parts on the current roster too that can at least be depth players, like Sean Walker, Kempe, Iafallo, Amadio, Lizotte, Austin Wagner.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I mean, Dylan Larkin is a legit #1C who's only 23. That's a pretty damn good building block. Folks are still big time sleeping on Filip Hronek as well. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a future #1D in the league.

So.... That's 2/3 of the most important positions to fill in Detroit already.

Also have to realize these teams stand to be picking Top 5 in a very strong draft next June(Well except for San Jose). One of those teams will be adding Lafreniere while another one gets to add Byfield.

I think it's a tossup between Detroit and Ottawa personally. Between Larkin, Mantha(If they keep him), Hronek, Zadina, Seider, and Veleno Detroit does have some nice pieces. Ottawa has Tkachuk, White, Chabot, Brannstrom, Thomson, and Bernard-Docker...

Perhaps the one thing that sets them apart is the draft pick situation in Ottawa. They maybe not look that great right now... but when you factor in currently 2 Top 5 picks, and 6 more 2nd round picks in the next 2 years you have a real shot at something here soon enough.

I mean imagine the Sens get lucky enough to get one of Byfield/Lafreniere at the draft this year and add a Dman like Drysdale with the San Jose pick a little later in the draft. That's a pair of potential franchise building blocks.

I'd bet on Seider being the #1D over Hronek. (But, having a 1A/1B situation with RHDs is a really, really good thing)

End of the day, while Hronek has a lot of promise offensively, I don't think he's gonna be Erik Karlsson. And while his defense is adequate I don't think it closes that gap to make him a #1D.

I think ideally, Detroit has a situation where Seider is the option to shut down the opposing team's top line, and Hronek gets thrown out there against lesser competition to drive the offense.

Technically accurate, but they’ve got Buffalo, Toronto, and Florida all in division that have young players at the same positions I’d prefer. To keep up, they’ve got to get a superstar from somewhere. Not that any of the other 4 in this poll are doing particularly well in that area either. Ottawa having 2 of the 5 picks along with Chabot would lead me to believe they’ve got the best shot. But Melnyk.

I mean, Buffalo probably shits on everybody when you consider they've got Eichel and Dahlin.

But I think where Detroit may make up some ground is the depth. That's what people don't realize, is that Detroit could take five years to turn around or they could turn around next year. They've already built the supporting cast, it's a matter of finding that top tier guy. I'm kinda hoping it's Byfield.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I'd bet on Seider being the #1D over Hronek. (But, having a 1A/1B situation with RHDs is a really, really good thing)

End of the day, while Hronek has a lot of promise offensively, I don't think he's gonna be Erik Karlsson. And while his defense is adequate I don't think it closes that gap to make him a #1D.

I think ideally, Detroit has a situation where Seider is the option to shut down the opposing team's top line, and Hronek gets thrown out there against lesser competition to drive the offense.

I mean, Buffalo probably ****s on everybody when you consider they've got Eichel and Dahlin.

But I think where Detroit may make up some ground is the depth. That's what people don't realize, is that Detroit could take five years to turn around or they could turn around next year. They've already built the supporting cast, it's a matter of finding that top tier guy. I'm kinda hoping it's Byfield.

Yeah, and with a bit of lotto luck all of Detroit’s issues could be resolved in an instant. I just like Ottawa’s lotto chances better.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Detroit. They don't look like much now but they have some good young talent in the pipeline. Come 2022 they could be a team to watch.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Detroit. I have them about even with Ottawa but we have far more competent management.

We really just need some lottery luck this draft and we’re looking good for the future. The pieces look like they’re pretty much all there outside of a Byfield/Lafreniere. Yzerman is pulling a Toronto and leaving all the kids in the AHL.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I picked Detroit but Ottawa is close. If I knew for sure that San Jose’s pick would end up top-5 or even top-10 I probably would have voted for them. If they can walk away from the draft with Byfield and Askarov, IMO they’ll be on their way. Even more so if they get another 1st for Pageau and manage to bring him back during UFA.

That core can be looking pretty special as early as June. Still, Detroit’s core looks great - even better now with Fabbri - and I have a ton of respect for Yzerman. He has a lot to work with over there.

Minny is probably in the worst shape, which is sad considering what a great hockey city that is over there. Hopefully they can work some magic.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Vilardi hasn't played in nearly a year. Any chance of him being a #1C is looking pretty bleak...

We don’t know precisely because he hasn’t played. I’m not going to change my assessment that he’s one of hockey’s best prospects until we see he isn’t. Players miss time due to injuries, even long term injuries. They usually don’t all of a sudden become bad at hockey.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
We don’t know precisely because he hasn’t played. I’m not going to change my assessment that he’s one of hockey’s best prospects until we see he isn’t. Players miss time due to injuries, even long term injuries. They usually don’t all of a sudden become bad at hockey.

Sure, but a year of not being able to play doesn't help. Especially not for a guy who had a lot of questions about his skating ability.

And when other teams don't have those question marks, that really doesn't justify putting LA ahead of them.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Wings have the best pool of 25-and-under players/prospects. Ottawa has done well too, but I don't think they're quite on the same level.

Add in the fact that Wings have good ownership, a great new arena, and Yzerman as GM and it puts them over the top.

Yeah, that new arena and fresh sheet of ice is really gonna push their group of prospects over the top...

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
If not for Melnyk, I'd go Sens.

Though my vote is the Kings. I really like their prospect pool and drafting. Lack elite talent but if they can get one or two really elite prospects, they're on their way.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Detroit.. they and Ottawa are at least trying rebuild, but I just have zero confidence on Ottawa head office.

The issue with Detroit is you can't draft Zadina, Rasmussen, Cholowski, Svechnikov in the positions you did. Those are 0 elite players from some very high draft positions. No confidence in their drafting.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
The issue with Detroit is you can't draft Zadina, Rasmussen, Cholowski, Svechnikov in the positions you did. Those are 0 elite players from some very high draft positions. No confidence in their drafting.

Lol what? The oldest is 23 with the other 3 being 21 and younger. A little early to say they’re done developing. Also these guys weren’t really drafted all that high outside of Zadina and somewhat Rasmussen at 6 and 10. The other two were picks 19 and 20, spots you rarely get elite players from. Zadina has struggled but is still very young. Rasmussen was in the nhl last year but is down this year and going ppg in the ahl. Svechnikov was injured last year but looks good this year. Cholowski is already in the nhl.

None of them are elite, true, but they’re all still developing. We haven’t been able to rack up top 5 picks yet like the Leafs did for years with Matthews at 1, Rielly at 5, Marner at 4 and then another top 10 pick with Nylander at 8.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sure, but a year of not being able to play doesn't help. Especially not for a guy who had a lot of questions about his skating ability.

And when other teams don't have those question marks, that really doesn't justify putting LA ahead of them.

Math tells us that one of these five is going to become good soon enough, and be the answer to this question. It’s pretty likely it’ll only be one or two teams. Teams often don’t become good very quickly when they suck. Sometimes it takes 10 years to break a cycle of being bad. But out of five teams, there’s a good chance one or two will turn it around soon.

Detroit might have the best combination of current young NHL pieces in place and prospects, but I don’t see enough high-end talent in their organization. I think they did themselves a real disservice with their last three top 10 picks. I think that’s going to take them from a team that had a good chance to become a contender had they picked well to a team that will be constantly mediocre.

LA might also suck, but I’d prefer the upside of Turcotte and Vilardi turning them around to any of the other teams.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Wow, thanks for your input on three U21 players and a guy who spent the better part of the last two years injured.

I also wasn't aware 19th and 20th overall were "Very high draft positions".

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Wow, thanks for your input on three U21 players and a guy who spent the better part of the last two years injured.

I also wasn't aware 19th and 20th overall were "Very high draft positions".

Svechnikov was in a stacked draft with multiple players selected around him that have gone on to be significant NHL players. Hard to screw that one up. Somehow they did.

Rasmussen was largely regarded as a reach at the time given his ceiling, and once again many good players taken after him.

Detroit had the pick with Chychrun on the board and traded it. 16th overall with a player like that on the board is significant.

Zadina is just awful scouting.

What here exactly inspires confidence?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Svechnikov was in a stacked draft with multiple players selected around him that have gone on to be significant NHL players. Hard to screw that one up. Somehow they did.

Rasmussen was largely regarded as a reach at the time given his ceiling, and once again many good players taken after him.

Detroit had the pick with Chychrun on the board and traded it. 16th overall with a player like that on the board is significant.

You do understand Svechnikov has been hurt for the better part of the last two years right? I figure you would've gotten that... Considering I just said it.

Rasmussen is currently averaging a PPG at 20 years old in the AHL. If he's a 50-60 point guy, at 6' 6" 230-240 pounds he'll be worth it. Those are rare commodities.

Thank you for bringing up the Chychrun pick trade. I'm glad you did. Because aside from dumping Datsyuk's salary, that trade also got us pick #53, who I dare say is a better defenseman than Cholowski OR Chychrun.

You're right. Zadina at #6 is awful scouting. He was only ranked 4th on McKenzie's list... Which is compiled based on a poll of NHL scouts.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan

I’ll give you Svechnikov at the moment because I wasn’t a huge fan of the pick but also being picked at 19 isn’t a high pick. Rasmussen is looking really good in the ahl at the moment. Definitely happy with him thus far. That trade got us Cholo AND Hronek. Zadina was the 3rd or 4th pick in almost every mock draft by pretty much everyone - pro scout or Hf poster.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Yeah, that new arena and fresh sheet of ice is really gonna push their group of prospects over the top...
Prospects is just one part of the equation, healthy ownership and a nice arena can help attract free agents for example.

Svech is the only guy there you can kinda make a conclusion on and even then it’s hard to say, he’s looked good this year and just needs to stay healthy.
Ras is doing fine, Zadina had a slow start but seems to be heating up, Cholo is doing nicely as well.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad