Which of the bottom 5 teams right now have the brightest future?

Which of the bottom 5 teams have the brightest future?

• Total voters

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Detroit:
Postives
- 1C - Larkin
- 1RW - Mantha
- Bertuzzi, Hronek are solid players.
- Athanasiou (I have some problems with him on the defensive side of the ice, but in the right set up he can be an asset)
- A lot of cap space to work with after the season
- GM

Negatives
- An aging core of players on decline and tied up quite a few years (Nielsen, Abdelkader, Helm, Filppula, Howard)
- Lack of elite talent and depth
- Not a lot of cap to work with

Some of their better prospects/player who have not broken through: Seider, Zadina, Rasmussen, Veleno, Svechnikov.

Los Angeles Kings
Positives
1C - Kopitar
1RD - Doughty
Negatives
- An old core with some years left on their contracts (Kovalchuk, Carter, Brown, Quick)
- How well will the contacts of Kopitar and Doughty age? While they might be worth their pay now. They can very likely be liabilities when the Kings are done rebuilding and want to compete again.
- Lack of elite talent and the elite talent they have are quite old

Some of their better prospects/player who have not broken through: Vilardi, Kupari, Thomas, Björnfot, Grundström, Fagemo, Durzi.

Minnesota
Positives

- Solid defensive core
- Quite good team on paper if the players deliver close to their level they should compete for a wild card

Negatives
- Their core is old (Staal, Koivu, Parise, Suter, Zuccarello, Dubnyk). While Suter is still good, Parise is slowing down and both of their contracts will probably be ugly in the end.
- Few prospects (Eriksson Ek havent broken through as Wild had hoped, will Kaprizov ever come?)

Some of their better prospects/player who have not broken through: Kaprizov, Khovanov, Eriksson Ek, Kunin

Ottawa:
Positives

- 1RD - Chabot
- 1LW - Tkachuk (22nd in points and 24th in ppg last season according to NHL and with potential, they usually have a few C who should be put as LW)
- Good draft picks: Two 1st round picks who right now looks like they are gonna be high and a lot of 2nd round picks that look to be high (Columbus*2 and San Jose next year)
- Flexible cap structure (They can still take some bad contracts from other teams to get futures)
- Good depth players (2nd to 3rd liners) who are quite young: White (Potential 2nd line C), Pageau, Tierney, C. Brown, Namestnikov, Duclair.

Negatives
- Owner
- Lack of elite talent (Especially forwards)
- Lack of a good goalie or a really talented goalie prospect
- Ryan contract (Not that bad since Ottawa do not need that salary for anything right now anyway)

Some of their better prospects/player who have not broken through: Brannström, Balcers, L. Brown, Abramov, Batherson, Jaros, Lajole, Thomson

San Jose Sharks (Get the place instead of NJD because of a lot more games played)
Positives
- Hertl, Meier, Labanc solid young players on good contracts
- On paper if their star players lift themselves to be close to their regular level they are a playoff team.

Negatives
- An aging core on long contracts that is supposed to compete now. A lot of the contracts (Vlasic, Karlsson, Burns, Couture, Jones and Kane) looks like they will be very bad in the future.
- Low on prospects as they have competed for ages.
- Few draft picks
- Little cap to work with
- Missing 1G

Some of their better prospects/player who have not broken through: Dahlen, Knyazev, Merkley

Personally if you just look at the teams and the picks I feel like Ottawa is in the best position to build a strong team. They have quite solid depth, they have the picks they need to fill up on elite players and they have a lot of cap to work with. Then when you consider owners and GMs its harder to say. I think Yzerman can get Detroit up and running, but it will take some years. San Jose can compete this year and perhaps the next, but it looks very likely they will have some rough years after that. Kings will take some time to get back up and the same with Minnesota.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Ottawa lol. When they pick #1 and #2 this year with the sharks first rounder. They deserve it (I know Melynk deserves nothing but the fans are living under a dictatorship). Also last year my team benefited from their demise so they could use a luck.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Who has the brightest future out of those 5? It's easy.

San Jose.

Why? Wilson dances circles around any of the other GM's, and their ownership group isn't nutjob central like it is with 2 of the teams on this list. I like the recent drafts from LA, BIG Bjornfot fan, big fan, but if I'm betting on one GM to turn it around and create a winner, it's the guy who's pretty much perennially done it for 20+ years. And for the record, because I know it'll get misconstrued, while I think the OP doesn't know anything about the Sharks pool because he left off a number of their better prospects like Korenar (top 5 goalie prospect), Chekhovich, and Spiridonov to name a few and kept Dahlen on there (lol)... I think San Jose probably has the 4th or 5th best pool in this list, and it's not great. But the Sharks pool for the last 20 years hasn't been great either. But here's the thing. They convert in the deep part of the draft and they've been doing great with their overseas signings (Donskoi to Bergmann), their pro scouts are solid, and their development is one of the best in the league, especially the work they do with skating. They've taken players who got knocked for skating like Hertl and Labanc, and made them solid NHL players that fit their system.

So again, best pools? Different story. Brightest future? San Jose Sharks.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I lol'ed at Detroit's, "Aging core players" of Nielsen, Abdelkader, Helm, and Filppula.

Anyway's, I homer voted Detroit. San Jose is clearly the best team, and seemingly just slumping at the moment. I wouldn't rank them as having the brightest future though. They're a team that should be in their window right now. Meier and Hertl are still young, but that core is coming close to 30 or older.

Detroit and Ottawa I put on par with each other before the '19 draft, so Ottawa's lack of a 1st pushed Detroit over the edge for me. Ottawa can close that gap though if SJS continues to flounder.

Don't know much about LAK, don't think they have as good of prospects as Detroit or Ottawa.

Minnesota, to me, is the clear cut worst of this group in the future. Pretty brutal team right now and still have those Suter and Parise contracts for the foreseeable future. And before drafting Boldy, Kaprizov was literally the only noteworthy prospect they had.

Last edited:
Reactions: NeverForget06

Kuz

May 11, 2015

San Jose.

Why? Wilson dances circles around any of the other GM's, and their ownership group isn't nutjob central like it is with 2 of the teams on this list. I like the recent drafts from LA, BIG Bjornfot fan, big fan, but if I'm betting on one GM to turn it around and create a winner, it's the guy who's pretty much perennially done it for 20+ years. And for the record, because I know it'll get misconstrued, while I think the OP doesn't know anything about the Sharks pool because he left off a number of their better prospects like Korenar (top 5 goalie prospect), Chekhovich, and Spiridonov to name a few and kept Dahlen on there (lol)... I think San Jose probably has the 4th or 5th best pool in this list, and it's not great. But the Sharks pool for the last 20 years hasn't been great either. But here's the thing. They convert in the deep part of the draft and they've been doing great with their overseas signings (Donskoi to Bergmann), their pro scouts are solid, and their development is one of the best in the league, especially the work they do with skating. They've taken players who got knocked for skating like Hertl and Labanc, and made them solid NHL players that fit their system.

I wouldn't call Korenar a top 5 goalie prospect. Spiridonov is interesting, but hes producing at the same rate so far as last season and he was a 4th rounder in this years draft. It's not like he's dominating in Russia. If he had been trying out in the VHL it would look more like he could be near NHL level anytime soon. He might come after a while, but he doesn't look like hes very close now. He can of course become a good player, but most likely he will not be a impact NHL player.

Chekhovich I agree with you should have been entered even with his slow start in the AHL. I don't see your reasoning for not wanting to include Dahlen. He's had a dominating start in Allsvenskan this year. He's a year older than Checkovich and had a descent AHL season last year with 33 in 57 that I am not sure Checkovich will match this year.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
I lol'ed at Detroit's, "Aging core players" of Nielsen, Abdelkader, Helm, and Filppula.

I agree they are not core players anymore. More meant in the way that they have been core players once in their career and they are not players you would want in your core anymore. That is why they are in the negative column. Once they were solid 2nd to 3rd liners that have been in Detroit for quite some time in their careers and that the Detroit will need to keep a little longer because of their contracts.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I agree they are not core players anymore. More meant in the way that they have been core players once in their career. Solid 2nd to 3rd liners that have been in Detroit for quite some time in their careers and that the Detroit will need to keep a little longer because of their contracts.

I'd argue that none of those guys were ever core players for Detroit at any point in their career...

Helm at best has always been a grinder that has never been able to finish. Nielsen never amounted to much of anything here. Filppula is about as much of a "Core player" as Nyquist and Tatar were, which is to say they weren't.

As for Abdelkader... He certainly got a contract like a core player. But the man's peak season consisted of him standing in front of the net and letting Datsyuk bank in pucks off his body.

Core players for Detroit would be Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Lidstrom/Rafalski/Franzen in the past. Larkin/Mantha currently. Hopefully Seider, Hronek, and Zadina shove their way in there in the future.

Ratatoskr

May 27, 2004
Germany
San José will be absolutely brutal. In 2023-24, the contracts of Couture, Kane, Karlsson, Burns, Vlasic and Jones will take up the same $47.25 in cap space they do now, but the players will be aged 32yrs (Kane), 33yrs (Karlsson, Jones), 34yrs (Couture), 36yrs (Vlasic) and 38yrs (Burns). The Sharks have very tough years ahead of them. All the more tragic that their time of suckage seems to have already begun, way ahead of schedule.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I think it's Detroit. But man, none of those teams have it very good. Usually when a team's a true bottom feeder they at least have some promising youth.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Took LA but it was a tossup with Detroit.

After that a lot depends on too many other factors to predict.

Minnesota might never drop as far as any of the 5 teams listed but they might be stuck in mediocrity for a while, not a fan of their pipeline or prospects right now.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Wings have the best pool of 25-and-under players/prospects. Ottawa has done well too, but I don't think they're quite on the same level.

Add in the fact that Wings have good ownership, a great new arena, and Yzerman as GM and it puts them over the top.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
San José will be absolutely brutal. In 2023-24, the contracts of Couture, Kane, Karlsson, Burns, Vlasic and Jones will take up the same $47.25 in cap space they do now, but the players will be aged 32yrs (Kane), 33yrs (Karlsson, Jones), 34yrs (Couture), 36yrs (Vlasic) and 38yrs (Burns). The Sharks have very tough years ahead of them. All the more tragic that their time of suckage seems to have already begun, way ahead of schedule.

San Jose was supposed to be a top (maybe THE top) contender last year when they got Karlsson. They had a mostly uneven season, esp with injuries, but didn't do too bad come playoffs. This year again - top contenders.

They're having a very bad start, but the season is too early to give up on them. I still see them as a very strong cup contender this year, and probably for the next 2-4 years too.

I don't think people should give up on SJ too quickly. Since "short term future" is part of future - they actually get my vote here. The 4 other teams listed each have a few exciting pieces here and there - but it's not like any of them are geared to be a complete powerhouse with their prospects. Current SJ team bests them.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018

San Jose.

Steve Yzerman?

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
Picked Detroit because of Yzerman, guys gonna whip them into shape !

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It’s probably Detroit. They’ve built up some nice prospects. They have a good GM.

Ottawa is a wreck
Minnesota has an aging core and an owner that insists on being competitive with it
Outside of the few young players on the roster (Meier and Hertl), they don’t have a whole lot for the future
Los Angeles doesn’t have a whole lot else for the future either besides Turcotte. I like Vilardi, but his injury issues are concerning.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It’s probably Detroit. They’ve built up some nice prospects. They have a good GM.

Ottawa is a wreck
Minnesota has an aging core and an owner that insists on being competitive with it
Outside of the few young players on the roster (Meier and Hertl), they don’t have a whole lot for the future
Los Angeles doesn’t have a whole lot else for the future either besides Turcotte. I like Vilardi, but his injury issues are concerning.
Ottawa is set up perfectly for a rebuild actually. Tons of cap space only 1 bad contract, tons of picks and they already have a deep prospect pool and two cornerstone pieces on the team. If they had a commited owner it could be an amazing rebuild. Alas the owner is Eugene Melnyk and he has hired Pierre Dorion the least qualified GM in the NHL. Even if Pierre falls into a good team from being so bad its not like Melnyk will actually retain the talent or put the proper support group around it to be successful.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think it's Detroit. But man, none of those teams have it very good. Usually when a team's a true bottom feeder they at least have some promising youth.

I mean, Dylan Larkin is a legit #1C who's only 23. That's a pretty damn good building block. Folks are still big time sleeping on Filip Hronek as well. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a future #1D in the league.

So.... That's 2/3 of the most important positions to fill in Detroit already.

Also have to realize these teams stand to be picking Top 5 in a very strong draft next June(Well except for San Jose). One of those teams will be adding Lafreniere while another one gets to add Byfield.

I think it's a tossup between Detroit and Ottawa personally. Between Larkin, Mantha(If they keep him), Hronek, Zadina, Seider, and Veleno Detroit does have some nice pieces. Ottawa has Tkachuk, White, Chabot, Brannstrom, Thomson, and Bernard-Docker...

Perhaps the one thing that sets them apart is the draft pick situation in Ottawa. They maybe not look that great right now... but when you factor in currently 2 Top 5 picks, and 6 more 2nd round picks in the next 2 years you have a real shot at something here soon enough.

I mean imagine the Sens get lucky enough to get one of Byfield/Lafreniere at the draft this year and add a Dman like Drysdale with the San Jose pick a little later in the draft. That's a pair of potential franchise building blocks.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I mean, Dylan Larkin is a legit #1C who's only 23. That's a pretty damn good building block. Folks are still big time sleeping on Filip Hronek as well. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a future #1D in the league.

So.... That's 2/3 of the most important positions to fill in Detroit already.

Also have to realize these teams stand to be picking Top 5 in a very strong draft next June(Well except for San Jose). One of those teams will be adding Lafreniere while another one gets to add Byfield.

I think it's a tossup between Detroit and Ottawa personally. Between Larkin, Mantha(If they keep him), Hronek, Zadina, Seider, and Veleno Detroit does have some nice pieces. Ottawa has Tkachuk, White, Chabot, Brannstrom, Thomson, and Bernard-Docker...

Perhaps the one thing that sets them apart is the draft pick situation in Ottawa. They maybe not look that great right now... but when you factor in currently 2 Top 5 picks, and 6 more 2nd round picks in the next 2 years you have a real shot at something here soon enough.

I mean imagine the Sens get lucky enough to get one of Byfield/Lafreniere at the draft this year and add a Dman like Drysdale with the San Jose pick a little later in the draft. That's a pair of potential franchise building blocks.

Technically accurate, but they’ve got Buffalo, Toronto, and Florida all in division that have young players at the same positions I’d prefer. To keep up, they’ve got to get a superstar from somewhere. Not that any of the other 4 in this poll are doing particularly well in that area either. Ottawa having 2 of the 5 picks along with Chabot would lead me to believe they’ve got the best shot. But Melnyk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad