Which NHL players the 2017-18 NHL Season will go on to make the HHOF?

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
I technically did this thread once already but I want to rephrase this a little bit.
271 former NHLers are in the HHOF and about 7700 hockey players have played an NHL game... 900+ of those guys played in the NHL this season. With us taking the averages for how many should make the HHOF on average, there should be 25-35 players who played in the NHL this season who will end up being inducted to the Hockey Hall of Fame when it's all said and done. But who of these guys will make it?
Well, while you guys answer how many and who will make it, here is my guess.
I'm guessing 35 players will make it, 30 skaters and 5 Goalies, starting with the Goalies:
1.Roberto Luongo (Long Career.)
2.Henrik Lundqvist (New York Rangers Legend.)
3.Johnathan Quick (2 Cups and some great years.)
4.Carey Price (Quick but without the two cups. longevity for both will do it.)
5.Andrei Vasilevsky (My one young goalie who gets in. other great young goalies will come in time.)
And now, the skaters:
1.Jaromir Jagr
2.Zdeno Chara (Helped lead the Bruins to a cup in 2011. great player.)
3.Patrick Marleau (Media...)
4.Joe Thornton (most consistently "beast mode" player from 2000-2010.)
5/6.Daniel and Henrik Sedin (Will go into the hall, first ballot, together.)
7.Henrik Zetterberg (Him and Datsyuk were a major part of the later part of Detroit's Dynasty.)
8.Duncan Keith (Here is the first part of Chicago's Big 3.)
9.Eric Staal (Wildcard relies on 2006 cup win to get in.)
10.Patrice Bergeron (Possibly the best Defensive Forward in NHL History.)
11.Ryan Getzlaf (Anaheim Ducks Franchise Player/Legend.)
12.Alex Ovechkin
13.Corey Perry (Wildcard relies on Hart Trophy and 2007 cup win to get in)
14.Shea Weber (Great Defenseman and he played for Montreal, so O6 bias is there.)
15.Evgeni Malkin
16.Nicklas Backstrom (At least one player other than Ovechkin on this year's caps will make it.)
17.Sidney Crosby
18.Claude Giroux (Philadelphia Flyers Legend.)
19.Anze Kopitar (Los Angeles Kings Legend.)
20.Patrick Kane (American Hockey Legend... 2nd Part of Chicago's Big 3.)
21.Johnathan Toews (3rd and final Part of Chicago's Big 3.)
22.Jamie Benn (Wildcard relies on Longevity and an Art Ross Trophy to get in.)
23.Drew Doughty (LA Kings Legend.)
24.P.K Subban (This is the Hall of FAME, alright?)
25.Steven Stamkos (1st pick in 2008.)
26.Johnathan Tavares (1st pick in 2009.)
27.Taylor Hall (1st in 2010.)
28.Tyler Seguin (2nd in 2010.)
29.Nikita Kucherov (Younger and got time to develop.)
30.Nathan MacKinnon (I think he is going to be the 2nd best Center in the NHL for a bit.)

Yeah, I expect quite a few of these not to get in, since I bet at least 10 of the younger guys of the last 5 years in this offensive youth movement will make the HHOF... but who knows. Maybe there are 40,45 who make the HHOF.
But also, who do you think will make the Hall out of this seasons players? How many?

-BlueBull

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Guarantee:
Sedins
Crosby
Ovechkin
Malkin
Patrick Kane
Toews
Jagr
McDavid
Keith

Probable:
Chara (Stanley Cup, All Star (x6), Norris, WC Silver (x2))
Zetterberg (Stanley Cup, Conn Smythe, All Star (x2), Clancy, longevity, Olympics Gold + Silver, WC Gold + Silver + Bronze (x2))
Thornton (Hart, Art Ross, All Star (x6), Olympics Gold, World Cup/Championship Gold (x2))
Bergeron (Stanley Cup, Selke (x4), All Star (x2), Olympics Gold (x2), WC Gold, WJC Gold)
Cullen (Stanley Cup (x3), Nearly 1500 games played)

Possible:
Eric Staal
Lundqvist
Luongo
Weber
Kopitar

Can't really see many beyond the above that would warrant more than a second thought. Forwards like Tavares, Benn, Hall, and Seguin are obviously great players. But do they have the hardware to really warrant getting in? They each have an award or two, but how many players with several awards aren't in the HHOF? A whole bunch. Even a guy like Stamkos, who had two Rockets in three years, hasn't really done much to warrant it since then. And he probably won't benefit his case unless he gets another Rocket and/or Conn Smythe or something.

Compare those guys to the HHOF this year. MSL had a Hart, Lester B Pearson, Lady Byng (x3), All Star (x6), Art Ross (x2), and a Stanley Cup.

The Norris has gone to so many different players the last few years that I really think it will hurt the chances for all of them to get into the HHOF. Subban, Karlsson, Hedman, Doughty, and so on. They're all really great players, obviously, but you can't point to any one of them and say "That was the best defender of this era". You could maybe go with Karlsson as best offensive defender, but there would still be some arguments against and overall it would be such a toss-up.

Much like the large group of defenders muddling things for eachother, goalies are in the same boat. Only one repeat Vezina in the last nine years, and if we go back ten you would have two. Tim Thomas and Sergei Bobrovsky. Sure, Price/Holtby/Bobrovsky/Quick have all been stalwarts in the NHL for years, but are they on the level of a guy like Brodeur? No way.

Brodeur had All Star (x9), Calder, Stanley Cup (x3), Vezina (x4), Jennings (x5). None of these guys come close to that. Bobrovsky is the closest and it's almost embarrassing to see the difference.

And then you have the large group of very young players who could definitely get there but have a lot to prove. Like Matthews, Laine, Eichel, Dahlin, Vasilevskiy, and so on. Hopefully they get there, but who knows.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I agree with most of them, but there's no doubting Staal, has an Olympic Gold, Stanley Cup, World Cup, triple gold, in my opinion, gives you a high chance of getting in.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Bergeron is not a probable. Bergeron is as much a lock for the Hall of Fame as I am to drink far too much coffee in the morning.

Reactions: RedWingzz

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Hot Take

Carey Price is the most overrated player in the NHL.

Don't get me wrong he is a top 10 goalie in the league right now but he is much closer to 10 than he is to even number 5.

1 Vezina to his career record and that is about it.

Hell Tuukka Rask and Craig Anderson have pretty much the same career stats and those two guys would have to pay for admission at the Hall.

Reactions: sharkhawk

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Hot Take

Don't get me wrong he is a top 10 goalie in the league right now but he is much closer to 10 than he is to even number 5.

Hell Tuukka Rask and Craig Anderson have pretty much the same career stats and those two guys would have to pay for admission at the Hall.

Amongst Active Goalies

12th in GAA
10th in SV%
9th in Wins

Reactions: TheSituation

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Guarantee:
Sedins
Crosby
Ovechkin
Malkin
Patrick Kane
Toews
Jagr
McDavid
Keith

Probable:
Zetterberg (Stanley Cup, Conn Smythe, All Star (x2), Clancy, longevity, Olympics Gold + Silver, WC Gold + Silver + Bronze (x2))
Thornton (Hart, Art Ross, All Star (x6), Olympics Gold, World Cup/Championship Gold (x2))
Bergeron (Stanley Cup, Selke (x4), All Star (x2), Olympics Gold (x2), WC Gold, WJC Gold)

Possible:
Eric Staal
Lundqvist
Luongo
Weber
Kopitar

Can't really see many beyond the above that would warrant more than a second thought. Forwards like Tavares, Benn, Hall, and Seguin are obviously great players. But do they have the hardware to really warrant getting in? They each have an award or two, but how many players with several awards aren't in the HHOF? A whole bunch. Even a guy like Stamkos, who had two Rockets in three years, hasn't really done much to warrant it since then. And he probably won't benefit his case unless he gets another Rocket and/or Conn Smythe or something.

Compare those guys to the HHOF this year. MSL had a Hart, Lester B Pearson, Lady Byng (x3), All Star (x6), Art Ross (x2), and a Stanley Cup.

The Norris has gone to so many different players the last few years that I really think it will hurt the chances for all of them to get into the HHOF. Subban, Karlsson, Hedman, Doughty, and so on. They're all really great players, obviously, but you can't point to any one of them and say "That was the best defender of this era". You could maybe go with Karlsson as best offensive defender, but there would still be some arguments against and overall it would be such a toss-up.

Much like the large group of defenders muddling things for eachother, goalies are in the same boat. Only one repeat Vezina in the last nine years, and if we go back ten you would have two. Tim Thomas and Sergei Bobrovsky. Sure, Price/Holtby/Bobrovsky/Quick have all been stalwarts in the NHL for years, but are they on the level of a guy like Brodeur? No way.

Brodeur had All Star (x9), Calder, Stanley Cup (x3), Vezina (x4), Jennings (x5). None of these guys come close to that. Bobrovsky is the closest and it's almost embarrassing to see the difference.

And then you have the large group of very young players who could definitely get there but have a lot to prove. Like Matthews, Laine, Eichel, Dahlin, Vasilevskiy, and so on. Hopefully they get there, but who knows.

Chara is one of the biggest locks still active...he waltzes in 1st ballot without question

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Guarantee:
Sedins
Crosby
Ovechkin
Malkin
Patrick Kane
Toews
Jagr
McDavid
Keith

Probable:

Possible:
Eric Staal
Lundqvist
Luongo
Weber
Kopitar

Sedins as guarantee but Chara and Thornton as probable? :huh: Cullen as probable? There is absolutely 0 chance he makes it. :laugh: Are you making a joke?

hilarnat

Jun 17, 2017
Guarantee:
Probable:

Possible:
Eric Staal
Lundqvist
Luongo
Weber
Kopitar

Cullen? Only 2 20+ goals and 1 60+ pts season. Longevity is great but I don't see it as an HHOF door opener for him. I think all your "possible" candidates have better chances, except for Yannick Weber ;).

Reactions: BlueBull

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Hot Take

The narrative that Price only had 1 good season needs to die. His stretch from 2013-14 to 2016-17 is one of the most dominant I've seen from any goalie. Weird how it took 2-3 years for some people to realize how solid he was and only 1 crappy season to put him into the gutter.

Player Season Finder | Hockey-Reference.com :amazed:
Player Season Finder | Hockey-Reference.com

Reactions: ImNeverWrong

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
The narrative that Price only had 1 good season needs to die. His stretch from 2013-14 to 2016-17 is one of the most dominant I've seen from any goalie. Weird how it took 2-3 years for some people to realize how solid he was and only 1 crappy season to put him into the gutter.

Player Season Finder | Hockey-Reference.com :amazed:
Player Season Finder | Hockey-Reference.com

Ok lets go with the narrative that he had 3 years as an elite top 5 goalie. That is not nearly enough credit to get him anywhere near the Hall

What has come of it still?

One Vezina

Don't forget he has next to no playoff success
2.54 GAA (16th amongst active)
.914 S% (19th amongst active)

Get out of here with Carey Price having one bad season, the guy is hands down the most overrated player in the league.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
I'll take a shot.

Odds of players getting in as of today, judging by past HOF inductions and patterns. (> 400 games played)

Sidney Crosby (100% there)
Jaromir Jagr (100%)
Alexander Ovechkin (100%)
Evgeni Malkin (100%)
Joe Thornton (100%)
Duncan Keith (100%)
Zdeno Chara (100%)
Patrick Kane (100%)
Patrice Bergeron (100% - 7 Selke nominations, 1 Stanley Cup)
Jonathan Toews (100% - Slowed down but international play and successful captaincy locked him in)
Henrik Sedin (100%)
Daniel Sedin (100% - The novelty of those 2 is too hard to ignore)
Henrik Lundqvist (100% - Most consistently elite goalie this side of Brodeur)
Erik Karlsson (90% - HOF peak, not much left to do but racking up games & points)
Steven Stamkos (90% - HOF peak, not much left to do but racking up games & points)
Drew Doughty (90% - HOF peak, not much left to do but racking up games & points)
Henrik Zetterberg (85% - Elite career, complete player, playoff beast)
Ryan Getzlaf (80% - Career stats are still building up, elite peak)
Anze Kopitar (80% - Reaching his peak and climbing fast)
Claude Giroux (80% - Another elite season locks him in)
Shea Weber (80% - 4 times All-star and Norris finalist)
Roberto Luongo (80% - Elite peak and gaudy numbers)
P.K. Subban (70% - Elite carrer and larger than life character)
Nicklas Backstrom (70% - Underestimated, career totals should get him in)
Patrick Marleau (50% - Compiler. Would not vote for)
Corey Perry (50% - Great team success, short peak. Will need solid career numbers)
Carey Price (45% - HOF peak, another Vezina nomination would do him good)
Jonathan Quick (45% - Playoff beast, will need to avoid injuries)
John Tavares (40% - Still hasn't done enough but shouldn't slow down)
Braden Holtby (40% - A lot of hockey left, I see him getting there soon)
Jamie Benn (40% - Solid peak but weak Art Ross. Still in the Markus Naslund range)
Eric Staal (35% - Short elite peak. Would need big career totals)
Sergei Bobrovsky (30% - Disastrous playoffs are holding him back bad)
Brent Burns (30% - Late bloomer. We may have seen the best of him)
Marc-Andre Fleury (30% - Never elite until this year but should rack up the big numbers that the HOF loves)
Phil Kessel (20% - Complimentary but productive player. Loved character. Got nothing on Joe Mullen)
Victor Hedman (20% - A Norris makes him appear on the list. Could climb up fast)
Taylor Hall (20% - A Hart trophy is a good point to start a case)

Last edited:

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Ok lets go with the narrative that he had 3 years as an elite top 5 goalie. That is not nearly enough credit to get him anywhere near the Hall

What has come of it still?

One Vezina

Don't forget he has next to no playoff success
2.54 GAA (16th amongst active)
.914 S% (19th amongst active)

Get out of here with Carey Price having one bad season, the guy is hands down the most overrated player in the league.

Ok. If you say so.

hilarnat

Jun 17, 2017
I'll take a shot.
Marc-Andre Fleury (30% - Never elite until this year but should rack up the big numbers that the HOF loves)

I think Luongo is also a lock.
He deseserves at least a 95%. Longevity doesn't hold hold the door but prime numbers/carrying teams over a whole carreer does.
He is a sub-par Perreault/Dionne... hope you get the idea.

Also, Fleury is way too low on that list. Stats alone put him around 90% on your list. I mean... Shea Weber is at 80%.
Your "never elite" comment is hard to justify other than the usual "he played with [HERO]" which applies to a lot of worse HHOF goalies (imo). In that matter, I cannot understand why Price/Quick is at 45%, Fleury at 30%.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
He deseserves at least a 95%. Longevity doesn't hold hold the door but prime numbers/carrying teams over a whole carreer does.

Also, Fleury is way too low on that list. Stats alone put him around 90% on your list. I mean... Shea Weber is at 80%.
Your "never elite" comment is hard to justify other than the usual "he played with [HERO]" which applies to a lot of worse HHOF goalies (imo). In that matter, I cannot understand why Price/Quick is at 45%, Fleury at 30%.

I’ve taken in account that the bar is set extremely high for goalies. Since Tretiak in 1989 only 6 have been inducted, one of them being Vachon who played in the 70s. Luongo, career seems comparable to me and it took ages for Rogie to get the call. Hence the 80%.

As for Fleury, he never was elite until this season. Between 2003-2017 he received two votes for the Vezina. TWO... In 13 seasons... He will have the big numbers that the HoF love to read without context but as of now he would easily be the worst goalie in the HoF.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me

Never won a Vezina, and consistently outplayed on big stages. Based on the HOF's current atrocious criteria, he'll make it. In my eyes, he's a no.

pi314

Jun 10, 2017
Windsor, ON
I'll take a shot.

Odds of players getting in as of today, judging by past HOF inductions and patterns. (> 400 games played)

Sidney Crosby (100% there)
Jaromir Jagr (100%)
Alexander Ovechkin (100%)
Evgeni Malkin (100%)
Joe Thornton (100%)
Duncan Keith (100%)
Zdeno Chara (100%)
Patrick Kane (100%)
Patrice Bergeron (100% - 7 Selke nominations, 1 Stanley Cup)
Jonathan Toews (100% - Slowed down but international play and successful captaincy locked him in)
Henrik Sedin (100%)
Daniel Sedin (100% - The novelty of those 2 is too hard to ignore)
Henrik Lundqvist (100% - Most consistently elite goalie this side of Brodeur)
Erik Karlsson (90% - HOF peak, not much left to do but racking up games & points)
Steven Stamkos (90% - HOF peak, not much left to do but racking up games & points)
Drew Doughty (90% - HOF peak, not much left to do but racking up games & points)
Henrik Zetterberg (85% - Elite career, complete player, playoff beast)
Ryan Getzlaf (80% - Career stats are still building up, elite peak)
Anze Kopitar (80% - Reaching his peak and climbing fast)
Claude Giroux (80% - Another elite season locks him in)
Shea Weber (80% - 4 times All-star and Norris finalist)
P.K. Subban (70% - Elite carrer and larger than life character)
Nicklas Backstrom (70% - Underestimated, career totals should get him in)
Patrick Marleau (50% - Compiler. Would not vote for)
Corey Perry (50% - Great team success, short peak. Will need solid career numbers)
John Tavares (40% - Still hasn't done enough but shouldn't slow down)
Jamie Benn (40% - Solid peak but weak Art Ross. Still in the Markus Naslund range)
Eric Staal (35% - Short elite peak. Would need big career totals)
Brent Burns (30% - Late bloomer. We may have seen the best of him)
Phil Kessel (20% - Complimentary but productive player. Loved character. Got nothing on Joe Mullen)
Victor Hedman (20% - A Norris makes him appear on the list. Could climb up fast)
Taylor Hall (20% - A Hart trophy is a good point to start a case)

I loved the way you did this response.

Even though I'd have done my personal percentages a little differently, it was really cool and I agree with you.

Reactions: Weztex

Goleafsgo95

Jan 12, 2018
HOF locks if they retire today:
Jagr
Thornton
Chara
Crosby
Malkin
Ovechkin
Lundqvist
Sedins