Music: Which musical revival did you prefer?

Which revival did you prefer?

• Ragtime revival of the 1960/70s

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Skiffle revival of the 1970s

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Boogie-Woogie revival of the 1970s

• Rockabilly revival of the 1970/80s

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Surf rock revival of the 1990s

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Soul revival of the 1990s

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Swing revival of the 1990s

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Disco revival of the 2000s

• Spacesynth of the 2010s

• Rave revival of the 2020s

• Total voters

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
My former boss said he was The Stray Cats personal cook. He said one night in the 80s they wouldn't take the stage until the guy would get PEZ for PEZ dispensers. Haha.

As for this thread, I guess I'm out of the loop because I had no idea about any of these revivals.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
My former boss said he was The Stray Cats personal cook. He said one night in the 80s they wouldn't take the stage until the guy would get PEZ for PEZ dispensers. Haha.

As for this thread, I guess I'm out of the loop because I had no idea about any of these revivals.
Ragtime revival:

Skiffle revival: (correction, I mistyped on the date here. It dates from the 1950s to 1960s.)

Reactions: tarheelhockey

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
None of them are really interresting except the Rockabilly. I don't recall all those revival, I think they were marginal. I always liked Rockabilly, who doesn't like it anyway?
There wasn't Doo-Wop revival? Maybe it's missing in the pool.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
The revivals were either institutionally important or they had major success. The boogie-woogie revival is marginal, I guess but it did put half a dozen songs on the charts throughout the 70s and 80s.

The ragtime revival was important because it officially put it in the concert hall and consequently remembered as concert music instead of dance music, resulting in people mostly being unsure how exactly it was danced to. But goshdarn it, it is now part of orchestral repertoire and you will sit down and enjoy it.

Skiffle revival is important if you have any shining for the Beatles. It's how they formed up. They did depart from it quickly but without it, no Beatles.

Soul revival (and neo-soul) is perhaps the most successful, producing many charting hits throughout the 90s and early 00s.

Spacesynth and its associated genres like synthwave and neo-italo had some prominence in the 2010s, mostly prominent in Europe. Which makes sense because that was the styles it was drawing inspiration from.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Fantastic stuff. So far, I find the ragtime revival material exhilarating (as does my cat, who doesn't usually care for music).

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
I have to admit that I wasn't aware of about 90 % of these revivals!

The rockabilly one was certainly happening in Finland, and rather obscure bands like Matchbox and Crazy Cavan became popular. The real '50s stuff like Elvis and Eddie Cochran were more my thing, though.

How about the rock 'n' roll revival in the mid-1970s? I think the movie American Graffiti was one of the big catalysts for that (maybe Happy Days too). Not sure whether the rockabilly thing was a straight continuum of it or that they are basically the same.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ragtime because as a young pianist, the Sting got me into Scott Joplin which led to some technical proficiency with syncopation.

Swing because it was a fun time in the clubs to see the quality of dancing and hear some actual brass instruments.

There's sort of a missing one in terms of maritime/east coast/celtic traditional music that was big in Canada at least in the 1990s - Great Big Sea, Ashley MacIsaac, Spirit of the West, etc.

It has sort of come around again with the proliferation of sea chanteys in the last few years.

Reactions: DaveG

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Ragtime because as a young pianist, the Sting got me into Scott Joplin which led to some technical proficiency with syncopation.

Swing because it was a fun time in the clubs to see the quality of dancing and hear some actual brass instruments.

There's sort of a missing one in terms of maritime/east coast/celtic traditional music that was big in Canada at least in the 1990s - Great Big Sea, Ashley MacIsaac, Spirit of the West, etc.

It has sort of come around again with the proliferation of sea chanteys in the last few years.
That was the Celtic movement spearheaded by the likes of Clannad in the 1960s. It was it's own thing and not a revival of anything particularly. And how am I distinguishing revivals and movements: politics. In the 1970s (when it really sets off), you had the end of Salazar and Franco regimes as well as the oil crisis which weakened the UK resulting in The Troubles. Brittany and Scotland joined in.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That was the Celtic movement spearheaded by the likes of Clannad in the 1970s. It was it's own thing and not a revival of anything particularly.

I find that hard to believe considering how many traditional songs they played. (Black Velvet Band, the Wild Rover)

Think of bands like the Dubliners.

Then, in a revival of those guys, you have the Pogues, the Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad