Which long term top 4 is your favorite?

Which future top 4 is most appealing to you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
With apologies to Lauzon supporters...

Wondering which long term top 4 is most appealing to folks. Take everything into account. Salaries, age, returns in potential trades, expansion draft, not knowing how good Vaakanainen will be, what you think Krug would sign for, everything...

The right answer is probably "we don't have enough information on Krug's salary demands and we need to see how Vaakanainen looks in Providence this season without being injured"... but what is the fun in that.

Gryz/McAvoy + Krug/Carlo
Pros:
We know these pairing work well and have chemistry. Vaakanainen should have value in a trade once he prices himself out.

Cons:
Um, expansion draft means Gryz is exposed and you have to convince Seattle that Lauzon, Clifton or Moore is a better choice (or pay them to do so). Krug will be expensive. He is not a fast skater so his aging curve at 5 on 5 is in question. Lots of smurfs playing big minutes comes with injury risk. Carlo being asked to watch Krug's back could hinder his own ability to grow offensively.

Vaakanainen/McAvoy + Krug/Carlo
Pros:
Great balance of offense and defense from the backend. No expansion draft issues. Gryz could be valuable trade chip if you can find a team with a protection slot.

Cons:
Same as above without the expansion draft and smurf issues.

Gryz/McAvoy + Vaakanainen/Carlo (feel free to swap the LD)
Pros:
Young, cheap, mobile and no expansion draft issues. $$$ available to help up front (and maybe find a #1C in UFA)

Cons:
Not enough offense from the backend after McAvoy without a surprise. In this scenario we have let Krug walk for nothing so get no additional assets from trading a D.

Last edited:
Reactions: neelynugs

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Personally, I think I am on the "let Krug walk" train.

With great sadness.

The PP WILL suffer. Krug rotating down to the half wall is really hard to defend when he can hit Bergeron and Pasta for one timers, DeBrusk on a redirect, or can send it down to Marchand down low to look for the same options from a different angle. How do you defend that?

With McAvoy out there it's just a different look. One with fewer shorties against likely. But with a lot less variants to defend unless McAvoy can prove his shot is dangerous.

If you can get Krug on a great deal maybe this changes. But, I assume with a new young family that term and no movement clauses are going to be very high on his list of desires, probably over AAV... and its term that really scares me with Krug.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
great thread - always enjoy your insights, BTW.

hard to argue with anything you've said. krug's ask and willingness to take a little
less money will determine how this plays out. i'd be surprised if the b's will go
beyond 6 years based on his age/size/skating ability/style he plays. the NMC is
probably a deal breaker for krug as well - he doesn't want to sign and then end up
in seattle potentially. and if krug does stay, then gryz has to go at some point based
on the expansion limitations.

sweeney and his group have made mistakes, but generally they've done a great
job with contracts with their own players. this may be their most difficult task
though - the models they likely use probably lean away from extending krug.
should be fascinating to see how it materializes.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Penciling Vaakanainen next to McAvoy when he has a grand total of 1 NHL game under his belt is a little bit ridiculous. He has been solid in the AHL, but he needs to become a dominant defenceman in Providence before he can be even considered to be a replacement to Krug or Grzelcyk.

Reactions: Lo97

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I think they should let Krug walk as well. I love the player, but how can Krug not ask for 7 or 8 years and a NMC? He deserves it. And how can the Bruins hand out a contract that pays him until he's 37? He's not the most physically gifted player (in terms of size/speed) so how will that translate as he ages?

I also think they're set up well to deal with life after Krug. They've got 4 dynamic puckmovers in McAvoy, Gryz, Vaak and Clifton. I know folks look at that group and say where's the offense, but you have to remember that Krug takes a lot of the best offensive opportunities. He gets the first minute and half of every PP, he gets a lot of Ozone starts with our best players... Give those opportunities to other good offensive players and their numbers will improve. Outside of McAvoy none will improve to Krug level production, but they will improve.

I actually think the thing the Bruins will miss the most about Krug is his leadership. The guy is a warrior, a clutch performer and a popular locker room presence. He's more than just points. They have to hope guys like McAvoy and Clifton will help fill the void.

Gryz - McAvoy
Vaak - Carlo
Lauzon - Clifton

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Penciling Vaakanainen next to McAvoy when he has a grand total of 1 NHL game under his belt is a little bit ridiculous. He has been solid in the AHL, but he needs to become a dominant defenceman in Providence before he can be even considered to be a replacement to Krug or Grzelcyk.

Yes, that and not knowing what Krug's demands are make this exercise just a bit of fun. Like everything else we do on this site :)

Reactions: JOKER 192

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think they should let Krug walk as well. I love the player, but how can Krug not ask for 7 or 8 years and a NMC? He deserves it. And how can the Bruins hand out a contract that pays him until he's 37? He's not the most physically gifted player (in terms of size/speed) so how will that translate as he ages?

I also think they're set up well to deal with life after Krug. They've got 4 dynamic puckmovers in McAvoy, Gryz, Vaak and Clifton. I know folks look at that group and say where's the offense, but you have to remember that Krug takes a lot of the best offensive opportunities. He gets the first minute and half of every PP, he gets a lot of Ozone starts with our best players... Give those opportunities to other good offensive players and there numbers will improve. Outside of McAvoy none will improve to Krug level production, but they will improve.

I actually think the thing the Bruins will miss the most about Krug is his leadership. The guy is a warrior, a clutch performer and a popular locker room presence. He's more than just points. They have to hope guys like McAvoy and Clifton will help fill the void.

Gryz - McAvoy
Vaak - Carlo
Lauzon - Clifton

Agree on the leadership bit. Krug IS the leadership for folks under the age of 34 years old. McAvoy, DeBrusk, etc can grow into that... but Krug is already there and is the only guy right now I would consider for a C if Chara and Bergeron retired tomorrow (knock on wood, etc).

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I think Krug is underrated by almost everyone on this site and letting him walk for nothing would be a massive mismanagement of resources.

I don’t think the Bergeron line will look quite the same without such an intelligent field commander out there, especially on the PP. Those first couple passes are key, and once the puck is in the offensive zone, his eye for passing lanes is sublime.

The NTC would be quite harrowing to swallow though...

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Personally I would like to see these pairings in 2 or 3 years time frame.
Vaak - McAvoy
Zboril - Carlo
Lauzon - Clifton
Vaak will have the year down in Providence to work on some of his weaknesses but all signs point to him being a top pairing member who balances out McAvoy's game. The second pairing is one I have always liked. I see Carlo's offensive game growing without Krug and I think that if Zboril can keep the mistakes to a minimum he could be really good. Finally the last pairing has a rock steady individual in Lauzon and the gambler in Clifton. Lauzon will be able to cover for Clifton from time to time.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
I don't think letting Krug walk for nothing is the answer. That's poor asset management like with Loui Eriksson. If you're going to move on from him, get something.

The answer the OP, I do not know. I don't think we have enough data to really know how Vaak/Lauzon/Zboril are going to pan out.

member 96824

I also think they're set up well to deal with life after Krug. They've got 4 dynamic puckmovers in McAvoy, Gryz, Vaak and Clifton. I know folks look at that group and say where's the offense, but you have to remember that Krug takes a lot of the best offensive opportunities. He gets the first minute and half of every PP, he gets a lot of Ozone starts with our best players... Give those opportunities to other good offensive players and their numbers will improve. Outside of McAvoy none will improve to Krug level production, but they will improve.

Gryz - McAvoy
Vaak - Carlo
Lauzon - Clifton

well said. No one will be happier than this guy when Krug gets his huge payday...whether it’s with us or someone else, he’s earned every penny of it

Last edited by a moderator:

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I don't think letting Krug walk for nothing is the answer. That's poor asset management like with Loui Eriksson. If you're going to move on from him, get something.

most normal years and other teams, no question about that. but this team is in win now
mode - there's really no 2 ways about it. if they won the cup last spring, the krug situation
could be markedly different (i'm of the mind that he would've been traded, since cup =
house money and easy way to do a quick retool). but they lost, and now it's all in. krug
would function as an "own rental", unless there's another move out there that makes them
better by moving him (which i can't see).

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
surprised at the "let Krug walk" crowd, many here screamed from the top of buildings about DS not moving Eriksson at the deadline and instead letting him walk for nothing but have a terrific asset in Krug and are ok with doing the same?

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
My preference is of course to retain Krug and have him here long term.

I'm still of the opinion that this isn't overly realistic however and that if Krug tests the free agent market, he's going to get offered a ton. Well north of $50m... and I don't believe that's in the cards in Boston.

Vaakanainen as a top option over Gryz, not for any other reason than the unknown and believing in his upside.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Nice thread. Option 3 is my fave….third pair would be Lauzon and Clifton.

The one weakness would be the LD PK.... Lauzon a gimme. but could Vaak or Gryz handle it?

Vaak is 6'1 and considered a strong defensive D. He was the shutdown guy for Finland at the WJC's. I think he can handle that role. Gryz is no slouch defensively either. He picked up a lot of PK time when guys were injured last year.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I kind of want to go outside the organization for the top pairing LD if Krug walks.

Roman Josi would look good next to McAvoy and is set to become a UFA.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I'll be hugely surprised if Krug ever leaves the Bruins. Partly that's due to what he brings on the ice - as long as he's the only defender who consistently provides offense and is a key part of our PP then he's either staying or they're going to need a like-for-like replacement. I'm sure McAvoy will improve in this area, and perhaps one or two others, but no-one we currently have looks like ever being Krug-level in this area. But more importantly it's his role and position off the ice that matters most. He's a core player, a leader and a guy that others gravitate to and have close friendships with, who helps set the tone for the B's culture and the kind of team they are. And he and his family seem very settled in Boston. I think his demands for his next contract will be very reasonable, and as long as they are and he doesn't fall off a cliff this season then Sweeney will sign him back up without hesitation. You don't give guys like that away unless you've got a very good reason to.

So for me Krug-Carlo is a lock. I'm not sure on the other pair though. McAvoy obviously, but while I really like Gryz I'm not sure if he's a long-term top 4 D, and Vaak looks the goods but has proven nothing as yet. I wouldn't write Clifton off yet as eventually being able to step up to the top 2 pairs either.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Vaak-McAvoy, Krug-Carlo would be the ideal in terms of players already in the organization. We'll see how Vaak turns out though.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
surprised at the "let Krug walk" crowd, many here screamed from the top of buildings about DS not moving Eriksson at the deadline and instead letting him walk for nothing but have a terrific asset in Krug and are ok with doing the same?
To be honest, I’m not sure most realize how much Krug drives offense on this team. He is so underrated on here it’s sad. We are going to have some dark days figuring out transition and how to run a power play when he’s gone, mark my words

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
To be honest, I’m not sure most realize how much Krug drives offense on this team. He is so underrated on here it’s sad. We are going to have some dark days figuring out transition and how to run a power play when he’s gone, mark my words
and I wonder how many will be screaming about missing this element on the PP if Krug signs or is moved elsewhere? I love McAvoy and believe one day he`ll be THE guy in all situations, just not sure he`s anywhere near that yet, Krug and what he brings on that PP is simply special and unique

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Aren't we going to have to lose one / four during the next expansion draft of any of the combos?

Unless we protect less forwards?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad