Speculation: Which Jets aren't coming back?

Who's gone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
We could always try to sign a second line guy in UFA like Toffoli or Granlund to fill one of those wing slots.

Conner Scheifele Wheeler
Ehlers/Granlund Necas Ehlers/Toffoli
Copp Lowry Roslovic
Harkins Gus Appelton

JoMo Hamilton
Edmondson/Dillion Pionk
Samberg Poolman.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yup. Fills two key holes for us. I.would.pull the trigger in that one if Hamilton agreed to an extension.

Well, at least Hamilton is big. :laugh:

I don't like Hamilton's record of being unable to find a home. I also don't think he is strong enough defensively. Then there is his contract.

In this scenario, we are the ones giving up the best player, the most valuable piece - by far. I think that allows us more say in who we get. Pesce is 2 years younger, will have an AAV of about half Hamilton's for 4 more years. He is also big, but more importantly, plays a physical, defensive game - and he still scores fairly well. IMO, he is exactly the D man we need. Why would we be accepting second best when we are giving up Laine?

Of course, I am assuming he is fully recovered from his shoulder surgery. Medical OK would be necessary.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We could always try to sign a second line guy in UFA like Toffoli or Granlund to fill one of those wing slots.

Conner Scheifele Wheeler
Ehlers/Granlund Necas Ehlers/Toffoli
Copp Lowry Roslovic
Harkins Gus Appelton

JoMo Hamilton
Edmondson/Dillion Pionk
Samberg Poolman.

The hole at RW is not the weakness in this proposition. Ehlers moves over, Harkins moves up. Hamilton is the problem.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Well, at least Hamilton is big. :laugh:

I don't like Hamilton's record of being unable to find a home. I also don't think he is strong enough defensively. Then there is his contract.

In this scenario, we are the ones giving up the best player, the most valuable piece - by far. I think that allows us more say in who we get. Pesce is 2 years younger, will have an AAV of about half Hamilton's for 4 more years. He is also big, but more importantly, plays a physical, defensive game - and he still scores fairly well. IMO, he is exactly the D man we need. Why would we be accepting second best when we are giving up Laine?

Of course, I am assuming he is fully recovered from his shoulder surgery. Medical OK would be necessary.
Hamilton's problem is he is a bit of an introvert who prefers reading and museums to restaurants and bars like most young hockey players do. If you read some of the stories about him you will see Slavin saying very nice things and that maybe we would all be better off going to museums rather than to bars.

Reactions: Huffer

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
@Mortimer Snerd To the above post what evidence do you have that Hamilton isn't good defensively? He lead one of the better possession teams in the league in both CF% at 58.10 and xGF% at 58.72. If any current Jet pulled off something like that we would be jumping up and down with glee.

Reactions: Huffer and surixon

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
@Mortimer Snerd To the above post what evidence do you have that Hamilton isn't good defensively? He lead one of the better possession teams in the league in both CF% at 58.10 and xGF% at 58.72. If any current Jet pulled off something like that we would be jumping up and down with glee.

The better question is what does that say about our defense that a average dman blows anyone of ours away lol

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Hamilton's problem is he is a bit of an introvert who prefers reading and museums to restaurants and bars like most young hockey players do. If you read some of the stories about him you will see Slavin saying very nice things and that maybe we would all be better off going to museums rather than to bars.

Well we have some nice museums, a symphony and some other low key attractions so by all means if hes interested I signing long term then I think he'd be a fit in this city.

A legit top pairing RD that can drive play is what we could use. He also doesn't have to be elite defensively playing with JoMo.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The better question is what does that say about our defense that a average dman blows anyone of ours away lol
How is Hamilton an average D-Man? He was in the Norris discussion before he was injured. He was the top pairing RHD on a pretty good team and had 40 points in 47 games. He is in the top 5 RHD in the league and in the heart of his prime.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
How is Hamilton an average D-Man? He was in the Norris discussion before he was injured. He was the top pairing RHD on a pretty good team and had 40 points in 47 games. He is in the top 5 RHD in the league and in the heart of his prime.

My post was In jest. You responded to another poster that said he wasn’t good defensively.

Just trying to have your back lol I’ll add a few emojis when I learn how too lol

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I doubt if he’s top 5. I mean is he better than Jones, Chabot, pulock, Hedman? To name a few. Will he be better than Makar, Hughes long? Hesikanan.
Also tougher to play great over 85 games than 40

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Say he is top 10 then. Still a massive upgrade at RHD.
Okay but I came up with that list in 3 seconds. He is a big upgrade but for Laine?
If Laine can become meaner and more consistent he has also achieved more at 22 that I’d think we could get more. We also don’t know about the 10 mil. 22 to 29 is quite the jump in age. It means no second window. Schief and Wheeler may disappear in next few years but ehlers , Kc, and Laine seem like good building blocks for a rebuild unless you can get a young wunderkind d like Hughes for Laine. Even a Brannstrom who has potential to be a top d. I see too many problems why this window is not really even open anymore and the Jets should take one or 2 years to rebuild. Goalies tend to age well.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I doubt if he’s top 5. I mean is he better than Jones, Chabot, pulock, Hedman? To name a few. Will he be better than Makar, Hughes long? Hesikanan.
Also tougher to play great over 85 games than 40

Why are you comparing him to both left and right d lol.

As far as right D go I'd say hes a step up from Trouba and easily top 15 at his position which would help us quite a bit.

I would however be looking to get him without losing Laine.

Reactions: Huffer

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Why are you comparing him to both left and right d lol.

As far as right D go I'd say hes a step up from Trouba and easily top 15 at his position which would help us quite a bit.

I would however be looking to get him without losing Laine.
Because I’m not educated enough to know sides but easier to name guys better.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Okay but I came up with that list in 3 seconds. He is a big upgrade but for Laine?
If Laine can become meaner and more consistent he has also achieved more at 22 that I’d think we could get more. We also don’t know about the 10 mil. 22 to 29 is quite the jump in age. It means no second window. Schief and Wheeler may disappear in next few years but ehlers , Kc, and Laine seem like good building blocks for a rebuild unless you can get a young wunderkind d like Hughes for Laine. Even a Brannstrom who has potential to be a top d. I see too many problems why this window is not really even open anymore and the Jets should take one or 2 years to rebuild. Goalies tend to age well.
In my proposal I also included #12 pick for Pionk and made the UFA signings we would need. If all that happened we would be a much better team over the next few years. Hamilton is also the same age as Scheifele 27 y/o. And if all your building blocks are wingers you aren't going anywhere but the fuzzy middle.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Because I’m not educated enough to know sides but easier to name guys better.

Gotcha. Well most of the players you listed play LD. Only Pulock, Makar and Jones play RD.

Also players like Pulock and Chabot are not better players as of now. Chanot likely will be in the future.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
In my proposal I also included #12 pick for Pionk and made the UFA signings we would need. If all that happened we would be a much better team over the next few years. Hamilton is also the same age as Scheifele 27 y/o. And if all your building blocks are wingers you aren't going anywhere but the fuzzy middle.

Yup you build down the middle and from the backend out. We are eventually going to need to rebalance our cap unless the plan is to move Wheeler to the middle full time.

If that is the case you can get use either Roslovic or Copp as a 2 to 3 million complimentary top 6 winger.

Copp Scheifele Laine
Conner Wheeler Ehlers

or

Ehlers Scheifele Laine
Conner Wheeler Roslovic

Bring in a speedy player for our third line and I think we have a very dynamic top 12.

Harkins Lowry Athanasiau
Perrault Gus Appelton

Last edited:
Reactions: KingBogo

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Just reputation. Are you saying he has become one of the best defensive D men in the league? Was he always better than he was given credit for? Are those numbers on him? Or is it a team thing?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Do managements trade him because he goes to museums?

My concern is just that he can't find a home in the NHL. It isn't about what he does off the ice. Raises my suspicions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad