Which is more important and which is more likely next season?

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
A: Gardiner & Rielly taking the next step and becoming solid consistent d-men like we expect them to down the road.

B: Lupul & Kadri rebounding after down seasons.

- Note- I give Kadri more slack, and don't consider his last season as bad as King Joff's (When Nylander is a pro he get's the Joff name)

C: Clarkson contributing to the team, actually winning the fanbase over.

I think A is the most important but B is the most likely. While I think both Gards and Rielly will be very good players, I think they are a few years away from really blossoming. Maybe and hopefully I am wrong. I just feel Lupul rebounds and I am a big Kadri believer.

Can't make a poll so if a mod could that would be appreciated.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think all three are equally as important.

A: Jake should be taking big strides towards becoming what he is 'projected' to be which is a 1-2 defenseman. I should expect to see better decision making, more poise and instead getting better late in the season - he needs to maintain an even keel better elevated play. Mo's going to have a rough season - but i think if he just continues to show promise he'll be fine. Personally I hope he's challenged with some PK time or #1 minutes - not every game, but just if he's feeling hot -give him the reins and let him go with it kind of ting

B: Well this is a contract year for Nazzy and he'll want to be consistent and as I've stated - i personally feel that this is the year that determines if he's going to remain a Leaf or not quite frankly. (again - the argument is going to be but our most skilled forward, braw braw braw - where my argument is - I feel that the reason why he hasn't been traded is BECAUSE of his skill. I think a lot of other things will come into play and if he's not sharp all season, he could be gone) - Lupul needs to remember the Leafs play on days that aren't Saturday as well and start showing up for those games.

there is nothing that Clarkson can do that can win the fan base over other than scoring the cup winning goal (and there still will be fans complaining that it doesn't matter because he's still got that grody contract). But I personally feel if he simply plays better, it will kill the vitriol somewhat. (or at least temper it).

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
I think all three are equally as important.

A: Jake should be taking big strides towards becoming what he is 'projected' to be which is a 1-2 defenseman. I should expect to see better decision making, more poise and instead getting better late in the season - he needs to maintain an even keel better elevated play. Mo's going to have a rough season - but i think if he just continues to show promise he'll be fine. Personally I hope he's challenged with some PK time or #1 minutes - not every game, but just if he's feeling hot -give him the reins and let him go with it kind of ting

B: Well this is a contract year for Nazzy and he'll want to be consistent and as I've stated - i personally feel that this is the year that determines if he's going to remain a Leaf or not quite frankly. (again - the argument is going to be but our most skilled forward, braw braw braw - where my argument is - I feel that the reason why he hasn't been traded is BECAUSE of his skill. I think a lot of other things will come into play and if he's not sharp all season, he could be gone) - Lupul needs to remember the Leafs play on days that aren't Saturday as well and start showing up for those games.

there is nothing that Clarkson can do that can win the fan base over other than scoring the cup winning goal (and there still will be fans complaining that it doesn't matter because he's still got that grody contract). But I personally feel if he simply plays better, it will kill the vitriol somewhat. (or at least temper it).

Good points on all 3. Which do you feel is the most likely to happen?

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
A, but B is a something I wouldn't wouldnt expect to happen.lupul and Kadri are playing on the 2nd line providing secondary scoring, getting ~50 points out of them is very good.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
All 3 are important to the success of the team.

I don't feel like Kadri and Lupul played particularly terrible last season. The both scored over 20 goals each. Based on stats they had decent years. I want to see higher compete level and better back checking with them. If they can do that while putting up similar numbers for points, I will consider their year a success.

I really believe Gardiner will take the next step in his game next season. He was awesome at the end of the season when the team sucked, so if he can consistently play at that level ALL season the team will do well.

Clarkson needs to not get suspended first of all. That is huge, he needs to play to contribute. I think if he goes back to his early game in NJ where he was tough to play against and worked his ass off he can have a good year. I think the 30 goal season made him stray from that a bit. I have no doubts he will have a better year.

member 147413

Great question, all three are important, but I think we'd see the most success if Rielly and Gards took big steps in their development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad