Which international tournament is the most important?

Status
Not open for further replies.

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
Kind of interested in knowing which tournament people attach the most importance to. Obviously a lot of people think the World Championships aren't a big deal because they take place at the same time as the playoffs, so a lot of countries are missing some big names. Similarly, I've seen a few posters (mostly from the East side of the Atlantic) saying the World Cup isn't a big deal because it's an exhibition tournament staged by the NHL. So I guess that leaves the Olympics, but at the same time one has to consider the fact that the Olympics also take place during the NHL regular season, so the teams have far less prep time than they will for the World Cup.

So...which tournament is the most important? Which says the most about the calibre of a country's hockey program and players?

(BTW, I divided up the question by region because I thought it would be more interesting that way. ;) I suspect I know how the majority of the votes will break down, but I'm still interested in seeing.)

Snakeeye

IMO, the World Junior Hockey Championships.

That's the tournament where you usually learn all about the NHL's future superstars.

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
Snakeeye said:
IMO, the World Junior Hockey Championships.

That's the tournament where you usually learn all about the NHL's future superstars.

Yeah, I was considering adding that one but I decided to stick with the ones that involve professional players, since I think they're more comparable.

SChan*

In terms of overall quality, the World Cup is the toughest tournament to win. The only non-quality team in this tournament is Germany. Compare that to olympics where many less quality teams compete.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Yeah but the World Cup is usually played on Canadian soil, so Canada ends up always having home ice advantage. Is that fair?

AGraveOne

Jan 24, 2004
Raleigh, NC
i voted World Cup/Canada Cup just because i enjoy it the most. But the Olympics really is the creme de la creme - a gold medal.

great question though...

Hitman*

The Olympics IMO.

There is more pride and lustre involved in them, as well as the history.

Tock

May 26, 2004
Ottawa, ON. Canada
wilka91 said:
Yeah but the World Cup is usually played on Canadian soil, so Canada ends up always having home ice advantage. Is that fair?

This year its being held in Canada, The US, and Europe, so the only teams that are at a big disadvantage are slovakia and russia.

Hoof Hearted

May 12, 2004
Kitamaat Village, BC
The Olympics first and the World Cup second. I find it really tough to get excited about the World Chamionships since it happens every year and it's during the Stanley Cup playoffs, I never watch it or the World Juniors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad