Which HOH ranking project should we do next?

Apr 1, 2010
I think the voting process loses a lot of depth when we institute a system where everyone submits nothing more than a first place vote.

Perhaps submitting a top 10 list with 3 HM's would provide a better starting point.

It should provide a decent enough amount of data to compile atleast a solid top 5 list, while giving a good pool of players to discuss for the 6-15(20?) spots.

plusandminus

Mar 7, 2011
Perhaps submitting a top 10 list with 3 HM's would provide a better starting point.

It should provide a decent enough amount of data to compile atleast a solid top 5 list, while giving a good pool of players to discuss for the 6-15(20?) spots.

I think one needs a larger pool of players than you suggest. A top 10 list with 3 HM's would perhaps only work for the top 5. Then one would need to repeat it again, with another top 10 list. And so on...

Apr 1, 2010
I think one needs a larger pool of players than you suggest. A top 10 list with 3 HM's would perhaps only work for the top 5. Then one would need to repeat it again, with another top 10 list. And so on...
I think you would be surprised how many names you would come up with if everyone posted their top 13 players in history.

A series of small lists I think is preferable than trying to do 100 at once. Even if out of every list you only get the next 3-5 players, it would still be much faster than arguing 1 player at a time, or trying to sort out 20 or 30 at one time.

Remember that it will come down to minute details between some players. The only thing I think 99% of hockey fans can agree on is who the top 4 are(BO, WG, ML, GH) and forget putting them in an order to please everyone. Even then some will debate that. Debating the # 5 or 6 spot is going to get messy, and it will only get more difficult from there.

For instance; Who is #5?(I know I made this thread years ago)
Hasek
Lidstrom
Harvey
M. Richard
Beliveau
Jagr
Bo. Hull
Makita
Messier
LaFleur
Bourque
P Esposito

Someone else?

I could make a serious argument for any of those players to be #5.

Going through it with a series of smaller lists will make things easier I think.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I think the voting process loses a lot of depth when we institute a system where everyone submits nothing more than a first place vote.

Agreed. The system instituted to construct the prior Top 100 lists was a huge improvement over creating a series of polls.

I haven't seen any ideas that offer an improvement over the system used for the 2008 version of the Top 100 list (a system that took quite some time to hash out, IIRC).

steve141

Aug 13, 2009
Agreed. The system instituted to construct the prior Top 100 lists was a huge improvement over creating a series of polls.

I haven't seen any ideas that offer an improvement over the system used for the 2008 version of the Top 100 list (a system that took quite some time to hash out, IIRC).

I like the old system as well, except that there should be more players to choose from in each round.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I like the old system as well, except that there should be more players to choose from in each round.

Can you give more details on what you're proposing?

Each round of the 2009 version had 15 players to choose from, of which 10 were added. I thought adding 2/3 of the candidates each time gave way too much power to the initial lists and very little to the discussion that was supposed to be the meat oft he project.

The 2008 version had 10 players to choose from in each round, of which 5 were added. I thought that seemed to work pretty well.

What would you like to see done?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
what about 10 of 20? or 7 of 15?

7 of 15 might work. I was wondering if he wanted to do something like give the top 15 candidates and only add 5 of them. That would definitely give more power to the discussions.

IMO, a list of 20 candidates would just be too hard to keep track of in the discussions.

By the way, unless there is a late rush in voting for the "top Europeans" list, looks like this is going to head into a runoff between the "top 100 players" list and a series of "top 50 by position" lists.

Edit: My suggestion was going to be a list of the top 10 candidates, after discussion everyone ranks their top 6, then the top 5 vote getters get added. That was just a suggestion though.

Last edited:

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
A couple thoughts on these projects, mainly as they pertain to the top 100 players project.

It's basically mandatory that lists include players before WWII and with primarily non-NHL careers, but which players and how high must they be ranked? Perhaps it can be made more explicit if lists of each are developed. For instance, from a list of the top 50 players pre-1946 or top 50 Europeans, it can be stated that the top X players from each of these lists must be included on the list of Y players submitted for the top 100 project. Otherwise it seems unfair to penalize people who include few or no players from these lists.

There are two reasons for not including pre-1946 players and non-NHL players in the top 100. First, a voter may believe that the players just weren't good enough compared to NHL players of the past 65 years. While that sound ludicrous to most, it's not an easily disprovable position. Second, is that the data is so unreliable for these players. Even if a voter has the inclination to include many of these players on a top 100 list, it's so difficult to properly compare and place these players that it's almost like throwing darts in many cases. It's hard enough to compare players from the O6 to players in the 80's or players from the 70's to players of the past two decades. The uncertainty factor becomes so large, that it seems justifiable to rank a player #60 or #150.

I guess what really surprised me while recently looking at the last top 100 project was that one of the lists rejected looked rather coherent, but was rejected for not including European players. It was Pnep's list, which uses an objective point system. His list was later (revised first?) included, but still the criteria should be either left up to the participants or more explicitly stated IMO.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
The Main Issues

A couple thoughts on these projects, mainly as they pertain to the top 100 players project.

It's basically mandatory that lists include players before WWII and with primarily non-NHL careers, but which players and how high must they be ranked? Perhaps it can be made more explicit if lists of each are developed. For instance, from a list of the top 50 players pre-1946 or top 50 Europeans, it can be stated that the top X players from each of these lists must be included on the list of Y players submitted for the top 100 project. Otherwise it seems unfair to penalize people who include few or no players from these lists.

There are two reasons for not including pre-1946 players and non-NHL players in the top 100. First, a voter may believe that the players just weren't good enough compared to NHL players of the past 65 years. While that sound ludicrous to most, it's not an easily disprovable position. Second, is that the data is so unreliable for these players. Even if a voter has the inclination to include many of these players on a top 100 list, it's so difficult to properly compare and place these players that it's almost like throwing darts in many cases. It's hard enough to compare players from the O6 to players in the 80's or players from the 70's to players of the past two decades. The uncertainty factor becomes so large, that it seems justifiable to rank a player #60 or #150.

I guess what really surprised me while recently looking at the last top 100 project was that one of the lists rejected looked rather coherent, but was rejected for not including European players. It was Pnep's list, which uses an objective point system. His list was later (revised first?) included, but still the criteria should be either left up to the participants or more explicitly stated IMO.

Your post touches on the main issues.

No era or category of player should be viewed as mandatory or be guaranteed a certain number of spots. None of this x pre Red Line or y active players. All that matters is that the participant submitting the list be able to justify in open debate, not to some arbitrary panel their selections.

The second issue is that these lists are always produced backwards whereas hockey and its history are generated going forwards. Using an arbitrary date - 1960 for the sake of example. Do the appropriate lists -top 25 goalies, dmen, centers, RWs, LWs, pre and post plus top 10 at each position active , 3 years retired from hockey and three things will be accomplished.

1.) the mandatory or guaranteed spots issue will not be a factor. Those unfamiliar or unwilling to participate in eras or by position could abstain.

2.)The process will provide an overview and guidelines for an all inclusive top 100 while sparing debate and acrimony about procedures, yet there will be room for adjustments along the way.

3.) the procedure for the final top 100 list will evolve from the initial efforts and lists.

Side benefit would be that those unfamiliar with eras could learn should they be so inclined.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Your post touches on the main issues.

No era or category of player should be viewed as mandatory or be guaranteed a certain number of spots. None of this x pre Red Line or y active players. All that matters is that the participant submitting the list be able to justify in open debate, not to some arbitrary panel their selections.

If the purpose of the list is "the top 100 players of all time," then every era must be given consideration.
The second issue is that these lists are always produced backwards whereas hockey and its history are generated going forwards. Using an arbitrary date - 1960 for the sake of example.

This is exactly how the HOH HOF project started out and it was a failure. Like it or not, era-only lists are boring to most people. I agree that it is unfortunate; I learned a lot about the pre-consolidation guys for the brief time that project was going on.

Do the appropriate lists -top 25 goalies, dmen, centers, RWs, LWs,

This is one of the options currently under consideration. As I said, it looks like top 50 lists by position and overall top 100 list are going to head into a runoff poll, probably next week.

, 3 years retired from hockey

I get the point of 3 years retired from hockey, but it really makes the list kind of boring. And it also makes it open to a lot of criticism, who is going to take an "all time" list seriously if Brodeur or Lidstrom isn't even listed?

1.) the mandatory or guaranteed spots issue will not be a factor. Those unfamiliar or unwilling to participate in eras or by position could abstain.

The always have the choice to abstain from the project.

2.)The process will provide an overview and guidelines for an all inclusive top 100 while sparing debate and acrimony about procedures, yet there will be room for adjustments along the way.

3.) the procedure for the final top 100 list will evolve from the initial efforts and lists.

These are valid considerations for why we should split the list up by position. We'll see if the majority agrees with you when it comes time for the runoff.

Side benefit would be that those unfamiliar with eras could learn should they be so inclined.

I was completely unfamiliar with pre-expansion hockey before reading the discussions for the 2008 list and learned so much that I was included in the 2009 project. I have since learned more. The 2008 list was really what spurred me into becoming an amateur hockey historian.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

Again, I get the idea that we could construct a more accurate list by doing sublists (pre-1946 or top 50 Europeans) first. But the first list "early era players" is exactly where the HOHHOF process got bogged down and I don't think many of us want to repeat it. And the "top 50 Europeans" option is losing this current poll by a fairly big margin, so their just doesn't appear to be the interest.

Again, if the purpose of the project is to include all hockey players from all eras, it's not "penalizing" people who choose to neglect certain classes of players. It's simply recognizing that those people don't embrace the spirit of the project that the majority wish to do. Nothing wrong with that - there's no saying the majority is right, especially on an internet message board! But the project works best if the participants share a common view on what the ultimate goal is.

There are two reasons for not including pre-1946 players and non-NHL players in the top 100. First, a voter may believe that the players just weren't good enough compared to NHL players of the past 65 years. While that sound ludicrous to most, it's not an easily disprovable position.

And it's not easily disprovable that Europeans don't care about the Stanley Cup and therefore can't be relied on to lead their teams in the playoffs. I still think it goes against the spirit of the project.

Second, is that the data is so unreliable for these players. Even if a voter has the inclination to include many of these players on a top 100 list, it's so difficult to properly compare and place these players that it's almost like throwing darts in many cases. It's hard enough to compare players from the O6 to players in the 80's or players from the 70's to players of the past two decades. The uncertainty factor becomes so large, that it seems justifiable to rank a player #60 or #150.

How is the data unreliable? We have Hart voting and All Star voting for almost every season they were voted on. We have accurate scoring finishes for the NHL. Post-consolidation (1926), there really should be no question as to the accuracy of the data. Even going back a decade or two earlier, we at least have quality scoring data, as well as some supplementals for the NHA, PCHA, and WHL.

Trail of the Stanley Cup, Ultimate Hockey, etc are all solid resources. And honestly, I think it should be mandatory (though with no way to enforce it obviously) for any participants to at least skim ALL the discussions for the last 2 top 100 lists. The information is out there, at least back to the 1920s and IMO earlier.

Perhaps you are unaware, but the criteria WAS explicitly stated - the lists were to include all players who ever played hockey, whether they played in the NHL or not.

plusandminus

Mar 7, 2011
Sorry if these questions are considered "stupid", or something I should know or should have looked up somewhere...
1. When one votes say 6 out of 10 players. Does each of those get "1 point" each. Or is it some sort of say 7-5-4-3-2-1 system? (For example: If one voter think a player is clearly ahead of the others, will there be a way of making that show? I intuitively think 7-5-4-3-2-1 looks far to dramatic. On the other hand 1-1-1-1-1-1 (or 100-100-100-100-100-100 which would have the exact same effect) would make the gap between voter's 6th best player huge compared to 7th player, while having no gap at all between 1st and 6th.)
2. When this starts, and you are having your discussions. Can anyone read them here on the board? Can anyone - including those not allowed to vote - participate in the discussions?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Sorry if these questions are considered "stupid", or something I should know or should have looked up somewhere...
1. When one votes say 6 out of 10 players. Does each of those get "1 point" each. Or is it some sort of say 7-5-4-3-2-1 system? (For example: If one voter think a player is clearly ahead of the others, will there be a way of making that show?)

If we are voting on 6 players (and the number has yet to be determined), 1st place would get 6 votes, 2nd place would get 5 votes, etc.

2. When this starts, and you are having your discussions. Can anyone read them here on the board? Can anyone - including those not allowed to vote - participate in the discussions?

Yes, of course anyone can read the discussions. The discussions are as important, if not moreso than the actual list. Please read the discussions for the 2008 version of the list if you haven't already, much of our "collective hockey knowledge" is collected there (and supplemented by the discussions during the 2009 version).

And yes, anyone can participate in the discussions even if they can't vote. My first regular appearances on this board were during the 2008 process as a non-voting participant when I thought Scott Stevens was getting unfairly underrated. As long as the non-voter has something intelligent to say (as will be the case with most regulars here I am sure), they are more than welcome.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Precisions

If the purpose of the list is "the top 100 players of all time," then every era must be given consideration.

This is exactly how the HOH HOF project started out and it was a failure. Like it or not, era-only lists are boring to most people. I agree that it is unfortunate; I learned a lot about the pre-consolidation guys for the brief time that project was going on.

This is one of the options currently under consideration. As I said, it looks like top 50 lists by position and overall top 100 list are going to head into a runoff poll, probably next week.

I get the point of 3 years retired from hockey, but it really makes the list kind of boring. And it also makes it open to a lot of criticism, who is going to take an "all time" list seriously if Brodeur or Lidstrom isn't even listed?

The always have the choice to abstain from the project.

These are valid considerations for why we should split the list up by position. We'll see if the majority agrees with you when it comes time for the runoff.

I was completely unfamiliar with pre-expansion hockey before reading the discussions for the 2008 list and learned so much that I was included in the 2009 project. I have since learned more. The 2008 list was really what spurred me into becoming an amateur hockey historian.

There is a very wide gap between giving consideration and mandating inclusion on every list. Meritocracy rules. If a few lists do not have players from an era then the vast majority will still prevail and produce consideration. If no lists have players from an era than mandating would have created a false list from the start. Somewhere in between and you have consideration.

Boring is very subjective. Your boring could be exciting for others. Even so the vast majority of board members would think that the history of hockey is boring to begin with. On the other hand consensus about the active players, if handled properly, could facilitate the integration of active in with the retired since each would be debated before the integration takes place.

Apr 1, 2010
As for the min. requirement of players pre-WWII I have to disagree.

To set the a Min. number for each list will soon have us leaving off deserving post WWII players to simply meet a quota.

So with that in mind perhaps the first thing we should do is come up with a list of Pre-WWII players who should be considered for the top 100(50,20) list(s)?

As posters pick the pre-wwII players they will be doing research and getting familiar with these players.

Maybe only posters who make regular inputs to the Pre-WWII lists are on hte voting list for the next ranking project?

Be a good reason to research some of the pioneers of the sport.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
There is a very wide gap between giving consideration and mandating inclusion on every list. Meritocracy rules. If a few lists do not have players from an era then the vast majority will still prevail and produce consideration.

They will be considered by the group as a whole, but will be ranked quite a bit lower than they deserve to be, as being completely omitted from someone's list lowers a player's ranking significantly.

If no lists have players from an era than mandating would have created a false list from the start. Somewhere in between and you have consideration.

This has never happened before and won't happen this time.

Boring is very subjective. Your boring could be exciting for others. Even so the vast majority of board members would think that the history of hockey is boring to begin with. On the other hand consensus about the active players, if handled properly, could facilitate the integration of active in with the retired since each would be debated before the integration takes place.

"Consensus about active players..." Good luck getting that one. :p: Seriously though, the HOHHOF list was dominated by 2-4 posters each time. The HOH Top 100 list had 10-20 people seriously involved in discussion in each round. It's quite clear to me which project was more successful.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
As for the min. requirement of players pre-WWII I have to disagree.

To set the a Min. number for each list will soon have us leaving off deserving post WWII players to simply meet a quota.

So with that in mind perhaps the first thing we should do is come up with a list of Pre-WWII players who should be considered for the top 100(50,20) list(s)?

As posters pick the pre-wwII players they will be doing research and getting familiar with these players.

Maybe only posters who make regular inputs to the Pre-WWII lists are on hte voting list for the next ranking project?

Be a good reason to research some of the pioneers of the sport.

There were no quotas last time and there will be no quotas this time.

If you want to start researching the top pre-WW2 players, a good place to start would be the discussions for the 2008 and 2009 top 100 lists.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Please Explain

There were no quotas last time and there will be no quotas this time.

If you want to start researching the top pre-WW2 players, a good place to start would be the discussions for the 2008 and 2009 top 100 lists.

No quotas clearly implies that a participant submitting a list does not have to have any players from certain eras, categories, etc.Otherwise you have the equivalent of quotas but no minimums.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
No quotas clearly implies that a participant submitting a list does not have to have any players from certain eras, categories, etc.Otherwise you have the equivalent of quotas but no minimums.

Call it what you want. If the goal is to do an "all-time" list, regardless of era, and someone omits Eddie Shore, Howie Morenz, and Bill Cook, guess whether his list is accepted or not?

I see no point in numerical minimums. If the participant is actually serious about the project, they won't be necessary.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
agree... I don't know what is so hard about a "best judgment", "common sense", "good faith", "honour system" approach to submitting a vetting the lists. We all have a common goal with these - to get it right, or as close to right as our current information will allow.

Dom

Aug 6, 2006
Perhaps a top 20 pre-forward-pass-era and a top 80 post-forward-pass-era would solve most problems concerning era representation. Most sports separate the sport's childhood and heavy rule change era from the stable modern era. It prevents trying to extrapolate Joe Malone's 300 game career to a modern point of view, which cannot be done to accomodate everybody. I know that this is something that has already been discussed, but it is still relevant.

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
Call it what you want. If the goal is to do an "all-time" list, regardless of era, and someone omits Eddie Shore, Howie Morenz, and Bill Cook, guess whether his list is accepted or not?

I see no point in numerical minimums. If the participant is actually serious about the project, they won't be necessary.

Sounds like a minimum of 3 to me. Seriously, can the majority of voters know for sure that Howie Morenz was better than Teemu Selanne? I doubt they honestly can know that, since the league has changed so much since that time. So if it's not flabbergasting for Selanne to be omitted, it shouldn't be for Morenz to be. If someone wants to rank Morenz #5 and omit Selanne entirely, that seems justifiable too.

It comes down to what is obvious to some or many or most is not obvious to others. At times it was blatantly obvious that the world revolved around the Earth, that a good bloodletting would cure ye of what ails ye, or that human sacrifice brought a bumper crop.

Diversity of opinion should be celebrated, not stifled IMO. The dissenters can be criticized or even ridiculed, but their votes rejected? Casting a ballot and knowing you must include certain choices sounds a lot like a Soviet election to me.

If this is someone's pet project, that's all fine and good I suppose, but if it's meant to be open to participation from anyone, then that's what it should be. If it's that important for certain players to be included, to the point of possible rejection of the entire ballot, then it should be explicitly mandatory IMO.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Good Points

Sounds like a minimum of 3 to me. Seriously, can the majority of voters know for sure that Howie Morenz was better than Teemu Selanne? I doubt they honestly can know that, since the league has changed so much since that time. So if it's not flabbergasting for Selanne to be omitted, it shouldn't be for Morenz to be. If someone wants to rank Morenz #5 and omit Selanne entirely, that seems justifiable too.

It comes down to what is obvious to some or many or most is not obvious to others. At times it was blatantly obvious that the world revolved around the Earth, that a good bloodletting would cure ye of what ails ye, or that human sacrifice brought a bumper crop.

Diversity of opinion should be celebrated, not stifled IMO. The dissenters can be criticized or even ridiculed, but their votes rejected? Casting a ballot and knowing you must include certain choices sounds a lot like a Soviet election to me.

If this is someone's pet project, that's all fine and good I suppose, but if it's meant to be open to participation from anyone, then that's what it should be. If it's that important for certain players to be included, to the point of possible rejection of the entire ballot, then it should be explicitly mandatory IMO.

Adding to your points.

The main issue is getting to the Top 100 stage in a fashion where at the final stage where participants are better able to discuss the merits of a Morenz and a Selanne. Best done in segments. Presuming otherwise leads to the paradox you presented.

The Soviet analogy is fairly accurate. Of course here in Canada or the USA we have a democracy but that never prevented the powers that be from disallowing certain groups from voting thru creative means under the guise of qualifications.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad