Which Habs Forward will be Waived or Traded when all players are healthy?

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Wasn't afraid to fight. He may no longer be able to fight as he once did.
Ehh I'm sure he will still be able to fight. Most players of that caliber still fight after injuries. If he isn't the same, then you can waive him. But I'll give him his chances before doing that.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Ehh I'm sure he will still be able to fight. Most players of that caliber still fight after injuries. If he isn't the same, then you can waive him. But I'll give him his chances before doing that.

Obviously, we'll have to see what his medical prognosis is. It's the just the nature of the injury that creates doubt.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
trade him, he sucks

players of interest: J. Larsson, Mahura, Ethan Bear, Honka, Sebastian Aho (D), Kylington, Frederic Allard, Hronek, Capobianco, Masin, Kyle Wood, McKeown, Cernak, Rasmus Andersson

obviously all those players have different values and some of them would probably never get traded (Mahura, Hronek etc.), others might even have less value than Scherbak on paper (McKeown, Allard etc.) but i'd still rather have them over him

or at the very least package Alzner with him and move him to a bottom feeder for little in return, Scherbak will never be an NHL'er anyways

Last edited:
Reactions: Goodbahd

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Unless the management is willing to trade plekanec right now, which I doubt, I would waive/trade de la rose and dlo.

There is no chance they waive plekanec. Thats a guy who is still very much nhl quality and is 2 games shy of 1000 games. Waiving plekanec would be way worse than when the sens waived Smith, and that according to Duchene was "a kick to the balls"

Also, Plekanec has trade value. Waiving him and losing him for nothing makes no sense. He will be either traded or kept.

Sure, if he has trade value you trade him. But if he doesn't, sending him to the minors should't be considered an insult at all. It's the NHL. Every player is playing hard to earn a spot. If you dont earn one you dont earn one. If he's a professional and he clears waivers, he goes to Lacal to help the young guys and then gets called up when there are injuries to p look at his 1000th in mtl. And then when he retires he always hug as a job within the organization. I remember last year when Streit was waived he was all mad at the organization. That made no sense. I think he came to his senses when nobody picked him up.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

I don't want to lose Scherbak for nothing. However, I see his style as Galchenyuk light (less talented), and if the identity of the team is play fast, decide fast, make smart plays.... then Nikita is probably not in our new mold.

So, trade him if possible and if not possible to trade Plekanec first.

Waiving DeLaRose is completely out of the question, he is an NHL player, only 23 and plays our forechecking style while being good in his own zone.

So my options in order of preference:
  1. Trade or waive Plekanec
  2. Trade Scherbak
  3. Waive Deslauriers
  4. Waive Peca
If there are no other injuries, we need to do two of the above

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
And when Weber and Schlemko come back?

Depends how the guys are playing. Juulsen can go down for a while if he needs to work on part of his game. But if he is solid, there are three other guys who can be waived or traded.

I start with the premise that Schlemko is better than all of Alzner, Ouellet and Benn, so here are the options as I see them:

Weber is RD
  • Waive or trade Benn
  • Option Juulsen

Schlemko is LD or RD
  • Waive or trade Alzner
  • Waive or trade Benn
  • Waive Ouellet
  • Option Juulsen

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Depends how the guys are playing. Juulsen can go down for a while if he needs to work on part of his game. But if he is solid, there are three other guys who can be waived or traded.

I start with the premise that Schlemko is better than all of Alzner, Ouellet and Benn, so here are the options as I see them:

Weber is RD
  • Waive or trade Benn
  • Option Juulsen

Schlemko is LD or RD
  • Waive or trade Alzner
  • Waive or trade Benn
  • Waive Ouellet
  • Option Juulsen

If everyone is healthy (may never actually happen)...
Given the glut at foward, I think we'll keep 14 forwards and 7 dmen. The top 5 are: Weber, Petry, Mete, Juulsen, Reilly. That leaves 2 spots for 4 players: Ouellet, Benn, Schlemko, and Alzner. And thus, 2 of these 4 will be waived. For me it's Alzner and either Ouellet or Schlemko. I have to see more of Ouellet. Benn was a solid #6 when we acquired him and I think he can excel in that role. Plus being a vet, he's more suited for the #7 role than a young player that needs to play/develop like Ouellet.

At forward the current top 12 that have played the first 2 games will not be waived. So we have 2 spots for Plekanec, Scherbak, DLR, and D-lo. So 2 of these players will be waived. I'd definitely stick with Scherbak. I waive Plekanec and one of D-lo or DLR. It's a close one. Not sure who I keep. DLR is younger. D-Lo fills a role no one else we have does and fills it well.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don't want to lose Scherbak for nothing. However, I see his style as Galchenyuk light (less talented), and if the identity of the team is play fast, decide fast, make smart plays.... then Nikita is probably not in our new mold.

So, trade him if possible and if not possible to trade Plekanec first.

Waiving DeLaRose is completely out of the question, he is an NHL player, only 23 and plays our forechecking style while being good in his own zone.

So my options in order of preference:
  1. Trade or waive Plekanec
  2. Trade Scherbak
  3. Waive Deslauriers
  4. Waive Peca
If there are no other injuries, we need to do two of the above

I'd like to give more time for Scherbak to try to adapt his game to the new mold. Just because Galchenyuk didn't, doesn't mean Scherbak won't. First of all the coaching staff we have now are better so that may get a better result. Second, Scherbak and Galchenyuk are two different people. It's unfair to project Galchenyuk's path onto Scherbak.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'd get rid of him. He's shown absolutely nothing at the NHL level. Move him for another project of similar age who may need a fresh start.

Not too many players have scored goals like the following at the NHL level. I wouldn't call them nothing. It doesn't mean he can do it consistently. But he's shown something. I'd like to keep him longer to see if he can first sharpen up his all-around game and then secondly hopefully produce offense consistently.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Not too many players have scored goals like the following at the NHL level. I wouldn't call them nothing. It doesn't mean he can do it consistently. But he's shown something. I'd like to keep him longer to see if he can first sharpen up his all-around game and then secondly hopefully produce offense consistently.

Goals count the same whether scored by tall guys or short guys, and whether they are "spectacular" or "ordinary". They all count as 1.

Scherbak is a unidimensional offensive winger who last year scored 6 points in 348 minutes, including 38 PP minutes. He was also the worst forward in camp this year of the ones still on the squad.

DeLaRose is a more well-rounded player who last year scored 12 points in 600 ES minutes and 51 SH minutes. He can play center and wing. He had a good camp, not excellent, but good.

Both players are born in 1995.

DLR brings more to a team that already has a bunch of offensive wingers who produce more consistently than Scherbak.

Reactions: Goodbahd

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Goals count the same whether scored by tall guys or short guys, and whether they are "spectacular" or "ordinary". They all count as 1.

Scherbak is a unidimensional offensive winger who last year scored 6 points in 348 minutes, including 38 PP minutes. He was also the worst forward in camp this year of the ones still on the squad.

DeLaRose is a more well-rounded player who last year scored 12 points in 600 ES minutes and 51 SH minutes. He can play center and wing. He had a good camp, not excellent, but good.

Both players are born in 1995.

DLR brings more to a team that already has a bunch of offensive wingers who produce more consistently than Scherbak.

Sure goals all count the same. But if someone has the ability to score such difficult goals it shows a certain ability level. Scherbak may be unidimensional now, but as with all young players, what they are now isn't necessarily what they'll become. Look at Mike Reilly - a very different player this year than last year. Same with Hudon, who didn't make the team at Scherbak's age, then was much better the following year. If we were just going to project on stats, who had more goals in the preseason per minute? Regardless of stats, imo Scherbak has more offensive talent and I'd still like to see if he can learn to not turn the puck over, move the puck quicker and be more effective with his work on the boards. I think he has the right attitude to get better. He knows he's weak in these areas. And now we have a good coaching staff to work with him.

As we've discussed I have Scherbak ahead of DLR and you have it the other way. Until at least D-lo gets back - maybe later if there's another injury - it's not a debate that has to take place as we can keep both.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
As we've discussed I have Scherbak ahead of DLR and you have it the other way. Until at least D-lo gets back - maybe later if there's another injury - it's not a debate that has to take place as we can keep both.

OK. And I have both ahead of Peca, a career AHLer, and already 25 years old. Nobody will take Peca's contract on waivers.

And we can keep both only if the Habs are consistent and favour them both over Plekanec.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I'd like to give more time for Scherbak to try to adapt his game to the new mold. Just because Galchenyuk didn't, doesn't mean Scherbak won't. First of all the coaching staff we have now are better so that may get a better result. Second, Scherbak and Galchenyuk are two different people. It's unfair to project Galchenyuk's path onto Scherbak.

You're right that while they have some of the same weaknesses, Scherbak and Galchenyuk are in fact not the same person. Several occasions they have been spotted at the same time, so I know it's true.

That being said, I'd give Scherbak one last chance, unless we can trade him for a decent prospect or good pick. It makes no sense to keep Plekanec, Deslauriers or Peca over him, and I agree that JDLR is a different kind of player so they really should not compete against each other.

Truth is, Scherbak is competing against Hudon, Lehkonen, Armia and Peca, and so far he is weaker than at least three of them. But I agree not to throw in the towel just yet.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Keep Scherbak until he at least plays a full season or close to it. But if we can flip him for a future 2nd, I'd do it. We need the room on our roster and a future 2nd would be a solid return... if possible. I don't support liquidating this asset.

Right now, we are carrying what? 2 extra Forwards (Pleky and Scherbak) and one extra D (Alzner)?

Weber: Back December sometime. We got time to figure out who we take out the line-up when he comes back.
Schlemko: Back early to mid November. I'd consider trading him. Bet you the Oilers bite. 3rd or 4th round pick maybe?
Deslauriers: Not sure? But he is worth waiving Scherbak? Why not waive Deslauriers?
DLR: Not sure?

Kotkaniemi: Will he stay after 9 games?

Should be interesting to see how the Habs managed our extra players. Weather Kotkaniemi stays or not plays a factor. I think the 9th game is Oct 25th against the Sabres and the 10th game comes Oct 27th against the Bruins. Is Deslauriers and DLR out for this long? Very possible.

We more than likely have the month of October to figure it out. Will there be any injuries in the month of October? Hard to predict. Headaches start in November if everyone is healthy and Kotkaniemi stays.

It it comes down to it, waive Deslauriers, Alzner, or Quellet. These assets are easily replaceable.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
OK. And I have both ahead of Peca, a career AHLer, and already 25 years old. Nobody will take Peca's contract on waivers.

And we can keep both only if the Habs are consistent and favour them both over Plekanec.

I'm not so sure nobody takes Peca if he is put on waivers. And I don't think they will put him on waivers.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Keep Scherbak until he at least plays a full season or close to it. But if we can flip him for a future 2nd, I'd do it. We need the room on our roster and a future 2nd would be a solid return... if possible. I don't support liquidating this asset.

Right now, we are carrying what? 2 extra Forwards (Pleky and Scherbak) and one extra D (Alzner)?

Weber: Back December sometime. We got time to figure out who we take out the line-up when he comes back.
Schlemko: Back early to mid November. I'd consider trading him. Bet you the Oilers bite. 3rd or 4th round pick maybe?
Deslauriers: Not sure? But he is worth waiving Scherbak? Why not waive Deslauriers?
DLR: Not sure?

Kotkaniemi: Will he stay after 9 games?

Should be interesting to see how the Habs managed our extra players. Weather Kotkaniemi stays or not plays a factor. I think the 9th game is Oct 25th against the Sabres and the 10th game comes Oct 27th against the Bruins. Is Deslauriers and DLR out for this long? Very possible.

We more than likely have the month of October to figure it out. Will there be any injuries in the month of October? Hard to predict. Headaches start in November if everyone is healthy and Kotkaniemi stays.

Schlemko is more talented than Benn and Alzner, and safer than Ouellet. With a good D coach like Richardson, I think he fits in our system. He certainly showed well in camp.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Why wouldn't they waive-trade DLR?
Deslauriers: I don't really care at all.

There will be injuries to the top 9 wingers at some point, Scherbak will be the best option then. It doesn't matter if he doesn't play much in the first 10-15 games.
They could also return KK after 9, clearly one spot in the top 9.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Schlemko is more talented than Benn and Alzner, and safer than Ouellet. With a good D coach like Richardson, I think he fits in our system. He certainly showed well in camp.

I agree Schlemko looked good in pre-season. But if I was able to move him for a solid pick, I would. Mete, Reilly, Quellet, Benn, Alzner can handle the LD side and depth. Would you send Mete down to the AHL to make room for Schlemko?

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
I think some of you guys are too quick to waiving Deslauriers. He's the kind of player fans, coaches and GM likes, hustles, doesn't back down, and even pots in a goal here and there. 10 goals last yr and ended up with a +7.

Just for the heck of it, Drouin about 20 more games played, finishes with 13 goals and a -28. OK I'd still keep Drouin over D'Lo but barely. :D

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I agree Schlemko looked good in pre-season. But if I was able to move him for a solid pick, I would. Mete, Reilly, Quellet, Benn, Alzner can handle the LD side and depth. Would you send Mete down to the AHL to make room for Schlemko?

No I would move Alzner or Benn before Schlemko, even Ouellet

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No I would move Alzner or Benn before Schlemko, even Ouellet

Alzner will be hard to move other than waiving him and sending him to the AHL. What a disaster his contract is.

Benn has played very well. But Schlemko is better. I agree.

Quellet has also played well. Not sure who I would pick between him and Schlemko. I would pick Quellet ahead of Benn though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->