Which goalie would you be happy with?

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
In the offseason, of course. With Vanek in the fold, it's clear that the time to win is now. I don't see them going with some cookie-cutter option or bringing in a potential "diamond in the rough" off the waiver wire.

So who would you choose? Take salary into account...

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Vanek is not in the fold yet.

He's not? He's here, isn't he? I'm assuming they intend on re-signing him. If that's the case, the point remains the same. They want to contend for a Cup, which means they won't be shopping at Family Dollar for their goalie.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Actually, one other thing:

Making this trade implies that they are at least open to coughing up 7-8M for one player. That's obviously going to be in the range of what Vanek will want, and the Isles don't make this move without the intent of re-signing him.

If he ends up walking for nothing, perhaps they'll take that 7-8M they were willing to invest into Vanek and invest it into a goaltender(Lundqvist) instead? Who knows, if the Rangers continue to suck all year and he wants to remain in NY, if the Isles are coughing up that type of change I don't see why he wouldn't at least consider Brooklyn.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Totally fine with something like 4 years, 20 million for Hiller. Lundqvist will require a bigger contract and a seven year deal, I don't see him signing here anyway. Miller is a possibility, I guess.

KnishOfTheCrease

Chez Pierre Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2010
Las Vegas
I like Halak & Hiller. Though I'd like to see either of them make it through half a season before getting hurt.

I've always liked Neuvirth. I think he's a really good goalie just stuck behind another good goalie, ala Bernier to Quick.

Reimer is a back up.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I like Halak & Hiller. Though I'd like to see either of them make it through half a season before getting hurt.

I've always liked Neuvirth. I think he's a really good goalie just stuck behind another good goalie, ala Bernier to Quick.

Reimer is a back up.

Seems a bit harsh. He's only 25, was considered one of the better goalie prospects before cracking the NHL, and has put up some solid numbers last year and into this year. We would have to trade for him, but depending on the cost I'd absolutely be interested.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
On XM earlier today, I believe, someone mentioned STL as the most likely destination for Ryan Miller. BUF does not need a G. STL keeping Elliot is a good backup. That exposes Halak in a non-STL/BUF swap.

If Miller goes to STL, Elliott would probably walk as well. I think Allen makes the jump next year, and they'll probably rather have him around at 850K than Elliott for 2M+... especially if Miller gets something in that 5-6M range.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
I think Reimer could be had for a third-rounder this year, if not then add a low-level prospect with the pick.

In a world where people crap donuts, I'd like Lundqvist.

I do think Garth is in the mix for a goalie, but at the right price. Good on him if he gets this done. We might be able to do with a shoddy defense this year, but at least things will be looking up in that department after this season.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Miller will be 34 next summer. Is someone really gonna give a 34yr old G a 5yr deal? (Probably, but not the Isles).

Nabby has 655 NHL games played at 38 and is fading. Miller has 510 now with ~ 550/560 come summer. So, at 38 estimated 60-75 games...that's A LOT of mileage on the backend of such a deal.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
Hiller if we trade or Lundqvist UFA.

Yeah, but who/what are we going to give up for him? We don't have this year's first-rounder anymore. Also, the price will be steep if Anaheim is competing for a playoff spot in Teemu's last season.

After the Vanek deal, I think this option is out the window.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Yeah, but who/what are we going to give up for him? We don't have this year's first-rounder anymore. Also, the price will be steep if Anaheim is competing for a playoff spot in Teemu's last season.

After the Vanek deal, I think this option is out the window.

I think it depends. They have two NHL caliber goaltenders aside from Hiller. Andersen and Fasth. Andersen has looked great so far, and Fasth is under contract for another year. Not to mention Gibson, IMO the best goalie prospect in the world, who should be ready to make the jump by the time Fasth's contract expires.

I just don't see anyway in the world that Anaheim re-signs Hiller. Perhaps they end up feeling that Andersen is their guy, and his time is now, and to get something for Hiller while they can.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
I think it depends. They have two NHL caliber goaltenders aside from Hiller. Andersen and Fasth. Andersen has looked great so far, and Fasth is under contract for another year. Not to mention Gibson, IMO the best goalie prospect in the world, who should be ready to make the jump by the time Fasth's contract expires.

I just don't see anyway in the world that Anaheim re-signs Hiller. Perhaps they end up feeling that Andersen is their guy, and his time is now, and to get something for Hiller while they can.

If you were guaranteed to re-sign Hiller to an extension, would you trade the 2015 first for him?

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
If you were guaranteed to re-sign Hiller to an extension, would you trade the 2015 first for him?

Absolutely not, but luckily his cost won't be a 1st rounder. I think he'd go for a 2nd and a decent prospect. Maybe a good prospect and a 3rd. Honestly, a package of Mayfield and a 3rd might be in the ballpark. Or if they want NHL bodies, maybe Regin and a 3rd or 4th, and replace his spot with Strome.

There should be any number of combinations that could work without sacrificing a key piece.

IMO, we shouldn't have to part with anything of real value to get our goalie. Even if we wait until UFA, there should be enough #1 goaltenders to go around. Even if we miss the guy we want, we should still be able to nab a Halak or a Reimer, etc.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
Absolutely not, but luckily his cost won't be a 1st rounder. I think he'd go for a 2nd and a decent prospect. Maybe a good prospect and a 3rd. Honestly, a package of Mayfield and a 3rd might be in the ballpark. Or if they want NHL bodies, maybe Regin and a 3rd or 4th, and replace his spot with Strome.

There should be any number of combinations that could work without sacrificing a key piece.

IMO, we shouldn't have to part with anything of real value to get our goalie. Even if we wait until UFA, there should be enough #1 goaltenders to go around. Even if we miss the guy we want, we should still be able to nab a Halak or a Reimer, etc.

I would definitely do the bolded. I'd be hesitant about shipping someone like Sundstrom off.

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
Actually, one other thing:

Making this trade implies that they are at least open to coughing up 7-8M for one player. That's obviously going to be in the range of what Vanek will want, and the Isles don't make this move without the intent of re-signing him.

If he ends up walking for nothing, perhaps they'll take that 7-8M they were willing to invest into Vanek and invest it into a goaltender(Lundqvist) instead? Who knows, if the Rangers continue to suck all year and he wants to remain in NY, if the Isles are coughing up that type of change I don't see why he wouldn't at least consider Brooklyn.

But that's not what happened here. In reality they only coughed up 1.6M in additional salary a far cry from the 7-8M you think. So they don't have 7-8M to offer Vanek.

Just because they may have intent to resign him doesn't mean he will. They had intent to resign Ryan Smyth too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad