Which GM was better at assembling 4th lines: Gainey, Gauthier, or Bergevin?

Which GM was better at assembling 4th lines: Gainey, Gauthier, or Bergevin?

• Total voters

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
As I've always mentioned, this is one of MB's forte and my reasoning as to why he'd make a very good assistant. He hardly ever gave anything of value for those players unlike Goat with Moore.

PS: Smolinski was hardly noteworthy except vs NJ.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Even if Bergevin is the 4th liner expert...there’s something in me that can’t vote for him.

I just don’t like this GM

Went with uncle Bob.
MB signs a lot of 4th liners, I just dont remember him ever signing the right 4th liners, so I object to the notion that he's even good at this. Usually we get worse after MB touches something and that includes the 4th line.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Weal, Weise, Thompson, Mitchell, DLo (1st year), Fleischmann, Danault, Byron, Kassian, Prust...

I think our 4th line is now: Dlo/Byron Poehling Weal. That's pretty darn good.

Behind:

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Lehkonen Domi Shaw
Drouin KK Armia

But the 2nd and 3rd lines need work.

Reactions: DAChampion

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Can't believe we're having this discussion, but Bergevin sucks at finding 4th liners.

Lapierre, Moore, Metro and, heck, even Streit were far better than anything MB has put together.

Gainey knew how to put together a 4th line that could push the pace the other way, cycle the puck in the offensive zone to tire Ds and generally play well defensively and pk (or PP for Metro & Streit).

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Dale Weise is the best 4th liner acquisition any of these GMs made. Playoff hero that eventually turned into a young, two-way center.

I'll also always love him for annoying the shit out of Lucic in 2014

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
It seems like we have a new 4th line every five minutes under Bergevin, and I can't say there are too many iterations that i'd consider as particularly memorable for their effectiveness.

Also, I wouldn't say that Bergevin creates 4th lines. Its more or less the line where all of his failed acquisitions and reclamation projects just end up.

Ill go with Gainey in this poll. Mostly for nostalgia, but also because of Lapierre, Smolinski, and Metropolit.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Bergevin finds lots of 4th liners except with the holes in the rest of the lineup and bizarre coaching decisions they've always percolated to the top lines and PPs

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
For those that voted Gainey, A) Lapierre was drafted so it should actually be Timmins getting credit here and what's so special about Smolinski? Montreal was the last NHL team he played for since nobody wanted him the year after.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Two can play at that game: Downey, Murray, Lindsay, Dwyer, Dowd, Langdon, Dandenault.

Fair enough. I still don't see our 4th line being all that great, Byron is not really a 4th liner and in order to improve the team, ie acquire game breaking talent Byron will not be able to remain on the 4th line imo. Plus he brings more to the table, at the very least he should slot into the 3rd line. Having 3+ million dollar players on the 4th line is not good roster building.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->