Which generation is greater?

• Connors, Vilas, McEnroe, Lendl, Edberg

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • The Rod Laver generation of Australians

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
How many of us were tennis fans when the Laver generation was around? I was born in 1962 and didn't start playing till 1978. There was no TSN or Sportsnet so we either had to watch on tv in real time because there were no VCRs. Equipment, coaching, training etc. has all improved dramatically since the Laver generation. I started with a wooden racquet (Donnay!), moved to metal, then composite. Our racquets were all around the same sizes until Prince made those big frying pans. You simply can't compare generation to generation in any sport. I'd rather appreciate play as it unfolds.

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
How many of us were tennis fans when the Laver generation was around? I was born in 1962 and didn't start playing till 1978. There was no TSN or Sportsnet so we either had to watch on tv in real time because there were no VCRs. Equipment, coaching, training etc. has all improved dramatically since the Laver generation. I started with a wooden racquet (Donnay!), moved to metal, then composite. Our racquets were all around the same sizes until Prince made those big frying pans. You simply can't compare generation to generation in any sport. I'd rather appreciate play as it unfolds.
All good points. Sports and sports broadcasting has changed a lot. In the 70s the NBA playoffs were shown on tape delay. The Miracle on Ice was also shown this way. I used to have one of those Prince oversize rackets and I hit so many forehand winners it was awesome! :laugh: I really enjoyed reading your post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad