Which game to check out as a tourist? HIFK or Jokerit?

FishSauce

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Visiting Helsinki for a few days this Fall and have a opportunity to check out a hockey game. Which team/league do locals mainly follow? Which one has better crowds/atmosphere? Would you recommend going to a HIFK or Jokerit game?

Thanks.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Well the stereotype is that a Hifk fan is urban and a Jokerit fan is suburban. After Jokerit joined KHL, I would say Jokerit is the more popular team. They have a great modern arena that is sold out when the best teams come over. Hifk has an old crummy arena, but they are planning on building new one. I would absolutely choose Jokerit.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
It's not easy to compare these two teams, considering that Jokerit plays in the KHL and HIFK in Finnish Liiga. For this reason alone, it's likely that you'll see higher quality of play in a Jokerit game, though Liiga games are pro hockey too and therefore quality entertainment.

Big factor will also be what kind of experience you're looking for. In the KHL, the surroundings have more flash and flair, big world style, whereas seeing HIFK will likely net a typical homely Finnish hockey event on your belt.

loppa*

Jokerit, without a doubt. Considering that their arena is suburban, it would result in a tourist getting out of the tourist zone of the city, and see more of Finland. Plus, it's better hockey from what I understand.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Jokerit, without a doubt. Considering that their arena is suburban, it would result in a tourist getting out of the tourist zone of the city, and see more of Finland.

Hartwall arena is very much in the city between some railroads and railyards, it is not a scenic location at all.

loppa*

Hartwall arena is very much in the city between some railroads and railyards, it is not a scenic location at all.

But it's necessary to see the most scenic stuff... one will at least travel outside of the tourist bubble by going there, I would think.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Hartwall arena definitely isn't "more of Finland", you'd have to travel outside Kehä3 (Helsinki and its surrounding area) if you're looking to see something other than the capital.

As for the OP's question, if you have the time and money isn't an issue, maybe try visiting both?

FishSauce

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Hartwall arena definitely isn't "more of Finland", you'd have to travel outside Kehä3 (Helsinki and its surrounding area) if you're looking to see something other than the capital.

As for the OP's question, if you have the time and money isn't an issue, maybe try visiting both?

Appreciate the suggestions and input everyone.

Ideally I would like to experience both but we have less than a 48 hour layover in Helsinki. With a few other things we want to do there's only time to fit in one game.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Appreciate the suggestions and input everyone.

Ideally I would like to experience both but we have less than a 48 hour layover in Helsinki. With a few other things we want to do there's only time to fit in one game.
Do you have the date set yet, so that you can be sure that there is a home game taking place?

FishSauce

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Do you have the date set yet, so that you can be sure that there is a home game taking place?

There are two games:

Oct. 13 IFK vs. Ilves or Oct. 14 Jokerit vs. Metallurg Magnitogorsk

When do single tickets for the season generally go on sale? Can't seem to find much information on Google or on the English website.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
There are two games:

When do single tickets for the season generally go on sale? Can't seem to find much information on Google or on the English website.
Very good game if you want better hockey level. Metallurg Magnitogorsk has been top KHL team for years and is coached by Mike Keenan. Maybe not sellout game but close.

Jokerit tickets are sold on http://www.lippu.fi/concert-tickets.html?affiliate=ADV but only first 7 games are available now. I would check situation again on beginning of September.

IFK game experience is more old skool. Old arena and they play old rock n roll music there.

Ihmeilja

Nov 4, 2011
There are two games:

Jokerit vs. Metallurg is the best quality of hockey you can experience outside of the NHL.
IFK vs. Ilves will be a very high tempo game with a true battling for the puck. Both IFK and Ilves are very traditional and old hockey clubs with hundred years of history and they have a strong history of rivalry. Both are very tactical teams and play a very hardworking style with skill combined.

Teukka

Jul 17, 2007
It's basically a choice between A) a game where "that other team from the largest metropolitan area in Finland" takes on "that other team from the second largest metropolitan area in Finland" and B) a high-level KHL game where to very skilled teams go against each other in a modern arena.

So basically, if you're looking for an "Euro league game in an old arena" experience, HIFK-Ilves will surely provide that. For any other purposes... go with Jokerit.

Sabane

Feb 16, 2014
I see this dilemma like choosing a restaurant when travelling. You are in Thailand and you see side by side a Michelin star Italian restaurant and a prettier than "normal" local food serving restaurant.

Do you want to take the absolute best food serving option or "when in Rome, do as the Romans do"?

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I see this dilemma like choosing a restaurant when travelling. You are in Thailand and you see side by side a Michelin star Italian restaurant and a prettier than "normal" local food serving restaurant.
This is a nice analogue. If you just want a "good meal" so to speak, you pick the Jokerit game. If you're looking for an "exotic experience to reminisce about once back home", you pick HIFK.

Both have their pros and cons, so the choice is yours.

spaps

old school
Jan 19, 2014
I think my fellow-countrymen have given a pretty accurate picture of the two choices. Whichever you choose, please tell us how everything turned out and did you enjoy the experience. That would be swell.:)

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Although administratively not in Helsinki, there's also the Espoo Blues, a team which plays their home games at Barona Arena which is situated nine kilometers west from the Helsinki Downtown. On October 13 they will take on Kärpät, the reigning two-time champions.

However, if I was in your position, I'd go for the Jokerit game.

FishSauce

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
I ended up purchasing glass side seats for the Jokerit vs. Metallurg game in October. Excited. Will post my experience.

Thanks everyone.

FishSauce

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Did you like the game?

Just got home from my trip. We had a great time at the game and enjoyed the city during our 48 hour stopover.

The crowd was great. All the chants, drumming and clapping is sometime you don't see in North American hockey. We sat glass side by the goal line next to the fan zone. The game is alot faster than you think when you sit up close. And a lot more exciting. I'll be sporting my new Jokerit hat around Toronto. :nod:

Thanks again for the reccomendation everyone!

Here are a few pictures from the game.

JlqpYnW.jpg

Sb4OobL.jpg

X8VIcdL.jpg

Last edited:

FishSauce

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Nice one! Did you experience anything else whilst being in Helsinki?

Yes. We stayed Kallio. Cool neighbourhood.

-Esplandi Park and shopping streets
-Senaatintori and Lutheran Cathedral
-Kamppi Chapel and Shopping Center
-Finnish dining at Lappi Ravintola
-Coffee at Cafetoria Roastery
-Temppeliaukio Church
-Market Square
-Suomenlinna
-Bought a bunch of Finnish candy and snacks!

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

-Temppeliaukio Church
-Market Square
-Suomenlinna

I'm looking forward to another Youtube video of a North American tasting salmiakki and the faces of disgust. :laugh:

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki

-Temppeliaukio Church
-Market Square
-Suomenlinna
Thumbs up especially at staying at Kallio

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad